Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Assistant opens alternate song versions in Spotify

I got a new car that supports Android Auto (and Apple's CarPlay but that's irrelevant to this) so I purchased premium Spotify so I can just tell my car what to play. However since day one (3 months ago now?) I noticed a lot of songs don't default to the studio versions of songs. If I use voice commands via the Spotify app directly they usually play just fine, but when asking Google Assistant to play songs, I get remixes or live versions of songs almost constantly. Some examples are "Deorro - Five Hours" plays the Chris Brown version "Five More Hours". Just today I used to say "Ok Google, play Faded from Alan Walker" and up until today it played the studio version. Now it plays a Tiesto remix. Rock songs constantly bring up live audio versions and overall is making for a very unpleasant experience. Is this an issue with Google Assistant or Spotify? Again, I get the results I want "inside" the Spotify app just fine typically, but not when I ask for a song (that plays via Spotify) from Google Assistant.

Hey all,

Thanks for your patience. This should now be fixed!

Can you make sure you have the latest version of Spotify installed and let us know if this works now? 

Have a nice day.

Comments
Jemi

Hey @c6d_-6fviyc9m,

Have you tried reinstalling the relevant apps? This seems to be a command issue, which we can't guarantee that we can help you out with from here, but we suggest that you go to Google Assistant help page

Let us know how it goes!

c6d_-6fviyc9m
Well I just reinstalled Android Auto, Google Assistant, and Spotify per
your suggestion and immediately tried the song mentioned earlier, got the
same results as before 😞 a remix of the song. This is my exact usage of
this ability: "Ok Google" wait for beeps from Google Assistant "Play Faded
from Alan Walker" Assistant responds with "Ok, playing Faded by Alan Walker
on Spotify" opens up Spotify, Spotify is now playing Tiesto Remix of Faded
:(. End Scene. This particular song USED to open up the studio version of
the song until a few days ago. It's kinda d of the straw that broke the
camel's back and keeps me checking the status of this post. Sorry for the
formatting, on mobile and replying via e-mailed.
Jemi

Hey again @c6d_-6fviyc9m,

We're gonna have a closer look at this, but we need some more info first:

• Spotify version
  • Device model
  • If using a mobile, device and iOS version.

Can you also give more examples of other tracks? If you could provide us with the URI's of the songs you expect to play, and the songs that actually play, that would be great too!

Thanks!

Jemi
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks, 

If anyone else is experiencing this with Google Assistant, please get back to us with:

• The commands you make (including what track you choose), the response you get, and the track that plays.
  • Device model and OS version
  • Spotify version

Remember to hit a +VOTE if you haven't.

Thanks!

c6d_-6fviyc9m

Hi there, just got notification of this new response, I'll go ahead and add the new info you need:

Device: Samsung Galaxy S8 standard (Cricket fwiw). Android version 8.0.0

Spotify: 8.4.70.666 armV7

Commands (always start with Ok Google):

me: play Faded from Alan Walker

google: Alright, Faded from Alan Walker playing on Spotify

plays "Faded - Tiesto's Deep House Remix"

me: play The Last of the Real Ones on Spotify

google: Ok, The Last of the Real Ones by Fall Out Boy  playing on Spotify

plays: "The Last of the Real Ones (Milk N Cooks Remix)[feat. Princess Nokia]"

me: play Fix Me

google: Alright, Fix Me by 10 Years playing on Spotify

plays "Fix Me (Acoustic)"

I've ran into a few more but can't find them in my history so I'll try to keep it in mind next time it happens. I had a slightly different issue with "Dirt on My Boots" but that seems to have resolved itself now and the symptoms of that problem warranted a different post anyways.

Katerina

Hey @c6d_-6fviyc9m 🙂

Could you give a try resetting and then trying again these commands on your Google Assistant?

Let us know how it goes!

/K

c6d_-6fviyc9m

What should I reset? I *did* uninstall the Google Assistant "app" and reinstalled it (along with Spotify and Android Auto to be sure) and still had these same issues. I'm just shocked it doesn't seem to be reported very much elsewhere, which leads me to believe either it's my device (very specific bug for one single device, doesn't sound likely) or not a lot of people are using the functionality (also doubt that, what with Despacito memes and what not).

Also, another song:

"Ok Google"

"Play Five Hours from Deorro"

plays "Five More Hours feat: Chris Brown' (Gross, I don't ever want to support his music, he's getting undeserved clicks from me)

Katerina

Hey again @c6d_-6fviyc9m,

Apologies for the confusion.

To clarify, if possible, please try unlinking and then linking your Google Assistant and Spotify account once more and let us know how it goes 🙂

We'll be keeping an eye for your reply!

c6d_-6fviyc9m

Ok, I have unlinked Spotify through Google Assistant settings, reinstalled the three apps again. I tried to find a way to clear user settings to no avail, and then re-linked the account, still having identical issues. There's gotta be someone on the team that has a Galaxy S8, do they have these specific issues as well? The two main apps (Assistant and Spotify) play nice enough together otherwise, doesn't quite feel like a hardware issue, ya know? Could there be Samsung software interfering with the process?

rfkk6_2-j92dp

For me the issue happens with Android auto as well as Google home 

"Okay Google, play (song) by (artist) on Spotify"

It seems that if there is a live version of the song available, that's what is played. This has happened with numerous different tracks.

Galaxy note 8 - android 8 Oreo - latest Spotify version