Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Assistant opens alternate song versions in Spotify

I got a new car that supports Android Auto (and Apple's CarPlay but that's irrelevant to this) so I purchased premium Spotify so I can just tell my car what to play. However since day one (3 months ago now?) I noticed a lot of songs don't default to the studio versions of songs. If I use voice commands via the Spotify app directly they usually play just fine, but when asking Google Assistant to play songs, I get remixes or live versions of songs almost constantly. Some examples are "Deorro - Five Hours" plays the Chris Brown version "Five More Hours". Just today I used to say "Ok Google, play Faded from Alan Walker" and up until today it played the studio version. Now it plays a Tiesto remix. Rock songs constantly bring up live audio versions and overall is making for a very unpleasant experience. Is this an issue with Google Assistant or Spotify? Again, I get the results I want "inside" the Spotify app just fine typically, but not when I ask for a song (that plays via Spotify) from Google Assistant.

Hey all,

Thanks for your patience. This should now be fixed!

Can you make sure you have the latest version of Spotify installed and let us know if this works now? 

Have a nice day.

Comments
Jerbloom

@spiegel3 wrote:

Same problem here - using google home mini with my linked spotify premium account.

Hey Google - play thunder by imagine dragons.

Ok - playing thunder by imagine dragons.

Plays Thunder - Live/Acoustic.

I try telling it what album it's on, but it won't take all 3 commands. I can play an album, or a song, but not a song on a specified album. Can't think of any other work arounds...very annoying. 

I know you will find this hard to believe but this is literally my exact experience today.  It played Natural just fine but when I ask for Believer it Thunder, it played the acoustic/live version.  Super annoying.

ccdsbucs

Just chiming in that, like many of these folks, voice commands seem to be wrong more often than correct. If I'm asking for a song by voice command, and I don't specify a remix, I don't want the remix. If I want some remix, I'll look it up on the app.

Kdam8

Same issue here for the last few months.  It's driving me crazy! Spotify is totally useless with android auto now.... and I only have Spotify for use in the car so I'm now seriously considering to cancel my Spotify premium membership...

Latest version of Android auto and Spotify on Samsung S8. 

Some examples 

Lost frequencies crazy  gives some tomorrow land remix (which is horrible! )

Robbie Williams Let me entertain you gives a Robbie something remix that's terrible....

And many more.... almost every song I ask for is giving some alternative version,  often remixes that make my ears bleed....

Please fix this.  Soon!

Daisy
Status changed to: Fixed

Hey all,

Can you make sure you have the latest version of Spotify installed and let us know if this works now? 

Have a nice day.

Stefan1200

@Daisy wrote:

Hey all,

It is not better:

Asking for "Play Alone from Alan Walker" now starts the Song "Alone - Restrung" from "Alan Walker". Not the real version of that song. Using Google Assistant, newest version.

Hirshr

@Daisy 

Also happning for me:

Spotify version: 8.4.97.807

Asking it to play "arms by christina perri" plays "arms tribute to christina perri" 

Also happaning for "blues power by eric clapton" plays "blues power live BBC version" 

This is excetly why i pay for premium.  If this is not solved I'll move to another provider/free version 

User647
Problem still exists for me as well.
h4ttila

Hi @Daisy

This is not fixed at all and highly frustrating...

I switched to Spotify Premium 3 months ago from Google Play Music and never had such issues before with GPM.

I'm using a Google Home Mini and a Chromecast Audio plugged in to my speakers with the Assistant on my phone 

to give playback commands. The success rate of Spotify playing the actual song that I'm asking for is ridiculous.

Examples:

Me: Hey Google, play Doomsday by Architects

Google: Alright, Doomsday by Architects UK, Architects. Playing on Spotify...

Spotify: Starts to play Doomsday - Piano Reprise...

Me: Hey Google, play Haunt Me by While She Sleeps

Google: Ok, playing While She Sleeps on Spotify

Spotify: Starts to play random song from While She Sleeps...

Me: Hey Google, play Better Now by Post Malone

Google: Ok, Better Now by Post Malone. Here it is on Spotify

Spotify: Starts a song radio based on Better Now and plays random song and NEVER the actual song...

Me: Hey Google, play Youngblood by 5 Seconds of Summer

Google: Alright, Youngblood by 5 Seconds of Summer. Here it is on Spotify

Spotify: Plays Youngblood - Acoustic...

Devices:

Google Home Mini (Firmware version: 146679, Cast firmware version: 1.37.146679)

Google Pixel 2XL (Android 9.0 Pie)

Both devices set to English (United States)

Spotify app version: 8.4.97.807

wimmme

For me this isn't working, still an issue

Android Auto: latest version, 4.1.590944

Spotify: latest version, 8.5.0.735

OnePlus 5, Pie

Examples gone wrong:

George Ezra - Shotgun seems to be working now

Lost Frequencies - Crazy

Avicii - Waiting for love

Metallica - One

UPDATE: i noticed that when in spotify after a 'remix result', when you open search results, it displays the correct version ! Also: when I use google assistant on my phone it works fine, it's only in my car in Android Auto that this seems to happen

vashzero

I am having this same issue on my google home and it is very frustrating that the devs havent given us a solution for this matter.

We would appresiate you help us considering the time and the people involved in this.