Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Clock won't play any playlist from Spotify; Error: (message: failed to switch to local device

Plan

Premium

Country

United Sates

Device

Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Operating System

Android 7.0

My Question or Issue

The issue started this morning. Spotify was in sync with Google Clock (used as my alarm clock every morning). This morning, the alarm clock gave me a beeping tone with a error on the bottom saying "{"message": "failed to switch to local device"}" even though it says both apps are connected and in sync

So far, I've cleared data and re-installed the app both apps, and did a hard restart on my device and the issue is still ongoing. App version 8.5.11.762

EDIT: Google Clock app version: 6.1.1, Here is my most recent test and the error that is still ongoing today.  I tried Pandora with Google Clock, since it's capable of syncing to these two apps along with Youtube Music app (which I don't have).  The alarm works fine with Pandora. 

Looking for help on other ways to fix this issue.

Many Thanks

SpotifyError.jpg

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your replies! This should be fixed now.

If you're having troubles after updating to the latest version available, we'd recommend trying a clean reinstall of the Spotify app with these steps.

If none of these help, we'd still like to know. In that case, we'd suggest starting a new thread in the related Help Board and we'll be happy to lend a hand. 

Have a lovely day 🙂

Comments
Katerina
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey there folks, 

We really appreciate taking the time to report this!

We've reported this to the right teams and they'll be looking into it.

In the meanwhile, if a clean reinstall of the app doesn't do the trick, make sure to add your +VOTE here and the following info in a comment:

• Your device and its OS (operating system) version
  • Exact version of the Spotify app
  • Version of the Google Clock app
  • Does this happen when using a different internet connection?

Keep in mind that in order to work properly, you need to be connected to Wifi or data for a track to play.

We'll keep you posted on any updates so make sure to keep an eye here. Thanks and have a lovely day 🙂

lauersimon

Device: OnePlus 7 Pro - Oxygen OS 9.5.8.GM21BA (Android 9)

Spotify: 8.5.11.762

Google Clock: 6.1.1 (238466778)

batmite79

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Pixel 2 XL

OS

Android 9

Spotify Version

Google Clock Version

I have undertaken a clean reinstall of the Spotify app. Being a Pixel, I can't reinstall Google Clock.

The issue occurs over both WiFi and 4G connections.

splattybake

Same issue. I hope it's resolved soon. 

I'm on a pixel 3 and everything is up to date. 

Jartsah

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Device

Oneplus 7 Pro

OS

Oxygen OS 9.5.8.GM21BA

Spotify Version

Google Clock Version

I have tried reinstalling both apps, also tried restarting the phone and it doesn't do the trick

Beaker_72

Exact same issue, I don't have a screenshot of the error but it's exactly the same as the one posted by the OP. 

Moto G5+

Android 8.1.0

Spotify v 8.5.11.762 last updated 19th June 2019 - the same day this error first happened

Google clock v 6.1.1 last updated 14th March 2019

I don't believe in coincidences, the last Spotify update has caused this problem - not Google. 

MisterSpock

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Pixel 2 XL

OS

Android 9

Spotify Version

Google Clock Version

I have removed and re-installed Spotify and cleared the storage on the clock app.

MagicalBlob

[REDACTED]

cindywan28

"failed to switch to local device" on google clock despite a clean reinstall.  Only hear beeps.

LouisBoss

Device: Pixel 3a

Version: 9

Spotify: 8.5.11.762

Google Clock: 6.1.1

Same as above. Tried to use the feature on a new device, but got the same error message.