Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Clock won't play any playlist from Spotify; Error: (message: failed to switch to local device

Plan

Premium

Country

United Sates

Device

Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Operating System

Android 7.0

My Question or Issue

The issue started this morning. Spotify was in sync with Google Clock (used as my alarm clock every morning). This morning, the alarm clock gave me a beeping tone with a error on the bottom saying "{"message": "failed to switch to local device"}" even though it says both apps are connected and in sync

So far, I've cleared data and re-installed the app both apps, and did a hard restart on my device and the issue is still ongoing. App version 8.5.11.762

EDIT: Google Clock app version: 6.1.1, Here is my most recent test and the error that is still ongoing today.  I tried Pandora with Google Clock, since it's capable of syncing to these two apps along with Youtube Music app (which I don't have).  The alarm works fine with Pandora. 

Looking for help on other ways to fix this issue.

Many Thanks

SpotifyError.jpg

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your replies! This should be fixed now.

If you're having troubles after updating to the latest version available, we'd recommend trying a clean reinstall of the Spotify app with these steps.

If none of these help, we'd still like to know. In that case, we'd suggest starting a new thread in the related Help Board and we'll be happy to lend a hand. 

Have a lovely day 🙂

Comments
mastersnick

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10

Version: 9

Spotify: 8.5.11.762

Google Clock: 6.1.1

Same issue as everyone else, it happens when you're trying to preview a song when selecting the song from the clock app and also when the alarm goes off. It doesn't manage to actually play the song (while when previewing it is showing the playing animation). The only way to force it to play the song is by having the spotify app already open with a notification visible in the notification tray. 

This, like others have said, seems to be an issue with the app not being able to launch spotify.  

Jammmy

Same as everyone else. Can preview songs only if Spotify is open with a notification, otherwise clock will just show music is playing (even though it isn't)

Device: OnePlus 6t

budo84

Device: Samsung Galaxy S5

Version: LineageOS 16.0 (Android 9), Update 29.06.2019

Same issue. Tried with different WiFi and mobile Data. When choosing a Playlist in Clock-App it shows like music is playing while in fact it doesn't. Only when Spotify is open in background it does work...

Mittyesque

Plan: Student Premium

Device: Blackberry KeyOne

Same problem "failed to switch to local device." Tried every computer trick I know. Problem seemed to start about the same time as the "update" (which as an aside your new organizational system for my library is terrible- I don't want to listen to EVERY song in all my albums). Now I only get beeping or nothing.

Please fix this guys. Waking up on time is kind of important.

yuvgin

Same problem as everyone else... This started within the last week.

It will only play music if the app was open and was accessed recently. Otherwise I get several seconds of silence followed by the above error message and the (horrifying) default alarm sound. Please fix this! Waking up without music is awful 😞

OnePlus 5T

Android version: 9.0 (OxygenOS 9.0.6)
Spotify version: 8.5.11.762

Google Clock version: 6.1.1 (238466778)

Mh10261

Same problem, no music from Spotify.

LG G7 THINQ

ANDROID 8.0

SPOTIFY 8.5.11.762

CLOCK 7.0.25

Rorog77

Device - pixel 2 XL

OS - 9

SPOTIFY - 8.5.11.762

CLOCK - 6.1.1

Happens on both wifi and data....now I don't even get the failed to connect or couldn't switch to device warnings. Just vibration no sound. Spotify alarm will play if I have left the app running and not closed it. Even updated to unrestricted app and alarm won't work when I've cleared the open apps just vibration.Screenshot_20190630-150411.png

Php1987

Same issue as everyone. Started around 10 days ago. Probably since the last Spotify update on 19 June 2019.

Device: Huawei P20Pro

Android: EMUI 9.0.0.293 (last update 29 June 2019)

Spotify: 8.5.11.762 (last update 19 June 2019)

Clock: 6.1.1 (last update 14 March 2019)

ToryH

Same issue, since Thursday morning. I have a Samsung S8 running Android 9. Spotify version 8.5.11.762, clock version 6.1.1 (238466778).

gijsterbeek

Same here. If I snooze the alarm clock and I play the same list manually from the app, the next time it works. But not the snooze after that.

The playlist is a dynamically updated list (Discover Weekly)

OS

Android 9

App version

Also: kinda nice to see at what time some of you get up 🙂