Google Home Playing Wrong Song

Hello,

I have a google home and have been using it ever since it came out in the UK. But recently I could ask it "Play river by Eminem" it would respond saying its playing "river by Eminem" but end up playing some other random song. This isn't the only song that this happens to.

I've tried to unlink my Spotify premium and readded it but the same issue occurred. Rebooting the device also didn't fix it? Any ideas?

Thank you,

Charles.

Hey folks!

After some testing on our end, we've confirmed this is expected behaviour with Google Home. If you ask it to just "Play Spotify" it'll continue where you left off with shuffle active.

If you'd like Google Home to play something specific, you can use the voice command to do so e.g: Play the Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify. This'll direct google to the correct playlist or album you desire.

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to open a new thread.

All the best.

Comments
doccer

I have this problem also, but strangley it only happens with one song up to now. When you ask it to play Come and get your love by Redbone it's plays a different  song each time, but announces its playing the Redbone song. Very strange. 

Alfredo

Hey @doccer & @HeiderSati!

Have you tried removing your Spotify account from the Google Home app and linking it again as I suggested before? Also, is Spotify set as the default music service to your Google Home?

Let me know.

Fleder

Hey @Alfredo

now it "works" again.

Meaning, it does not play today's top hits anymore, when telling it to play some music.

I tried telling it to play "Deftones radio" so it will only play songs from this band, to test if this works (a request from google support).

Now, it does only play Deftones radio. If I tell it to play some music: only Deftones.

This is getting really frustrating.

ZullyB

That's odd, @Fleder.

Can you let us know what device, operating system, and version of Spotify you're using? Also, it would be super helpful if you could give it a try from a different account. You can use a friend's account, just to test it out.

Keep us posted!

HeiderSati
Hi

Google home
Plus iPhone 6s latest version.
I also have it on both my pc (windows 10 latest) and Mac (latest high Sierra ).

The issue has nothing to do with any laptop or phone, and is only on google home.

Regards
Heider

Alfredo

Hey @HeiderSati!

Thanks for getting back to us with these details. However, I'm not sure if you've tried the troubleshooting we've posted before.

Could you give it a shot and make sure Spotify is set as the default service through the Google Home app?

Cheers.

Alfredo

Hey folks!

Just touching base here since we haven't heard back from you in a while.

Let us know if you've tried the troubleshooting above before we go ahead and close this thread.

All the best.

Snorkel

Hi @Alfredo,

The behaviour now is that telling Google Home to 'play Spotify' tends to set it off playing whatever album or playlist I was last listening to, but with shuffle turned on. That's a lot better than having it default to that awful Today's Top Hits playlist that it was doing before. I'm not sure whether that's the intended action but I can live with it. (it used to be a bit more random, picking one of my own playlists, Daily Mix, Release Radar or Discover Weekly for itself)

So whatever buttons people over at Spotify Towers have pressed this time, they're much better than the previous setting.

Cheers

Alfredo
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hey folks!

After some testing on our end, we've confirmed this is expected behaviour with Google Home. If you ask it to just "Play Spotify" it'll continue where you left off with shuffle active.

If you'd like Google Home to play something specific, you can use the voice command to do so e.g: Play the Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify. This'll direct google to the correct playlist or album you desire.

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to open a new thread.

All the best.