Google assistant not playing personalised playlists

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Nest hub, home mini

My Question or Issue

Ever since Spotify wrapped 2021 came out, my nest devices no longer play my personalised playlists via voice commands. I can see the command come up on my next hub (eg hey Google Play my playlist top songs 2017), but it simply ignores it and plays something that sounds similar. People are reporting this issue on the Google community forums too.

Hey there,

Thanks for all the help in resolving this. We're happy to announce that this should now be fixed.

If you still experience this hindrance, make sure you're using the latest version of both the Google and Spotify software and if so, post in the relevant help boards.

Cheers!

Comments
twikigrrl

I still have this happening. I believe it is because a verbal request is not going through a search order for matches that looks like this: Personal Playlists > Subscribed Playlists > All other Spotify playlists. While my solutions above ^^ helped with some of the issues, it didn't get rid of it completely and very often I still ask for a playlist and it plays something else instead unless iv'e been very personalized and specific with the playlist name and very, very clear on how I say it to Google. It seems to preferentially ignore more generically named personal playlists in favour of something "close" that's generic within Spotify.

So if I ask it to play my Downtempo playlist, it will instead play a generic Spotify playlist that has downtempo in the title.

@Novy - FYI.

Novy

Hey @twikigrrl,

Thanks for your reply. 

Would you mind sending over the exact Spotify version you're currently running?

We'll be on the lookout.

AlejaR

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the info shared in this thread.

We've received some news about this from our tech team 🙂 This should be fixed by now.

We’d like to check, is the inconvenience persisting on your accounts? If yes, you can perform a clean reinstall of the app on your devices, so you can make sure the app is up to date.

If that doesn't so the trick, please share with us the exact make/model and OS of the affected device, along with the Spotify version you have installed.

Keep us in the loop!

31hfhshsvywffblpgeaq

I would like to be able to play a custom Spotify playlist using a voice assistant such as Alexa or Google.
Amazon Music allows the creation of custom playlists (just as Spotify does) Amazon Music also allows you to play that custom playlist using a voice command - Spotify doesn't support playing custom playlists using the voice command according to your support team.

Novy
Status changed to: Fixed

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

lilpinkflowers

I like to listen to Spotify's personalized playlists (e.g., "Discover Weekly" "My Daily Mix #"), however lately when I use voice commands, instead of my personalized playlist, someone else's list plays that they made themselves and copied Spotify's name. This is frustrating because it's the wrong music and the only way to get the right music is to manually use the app, which defeats the purpose of the voice commands (and it can be dangerous, like if I'm driving). Can I block these playlists/users? I feel like these users are exploiting Spotify's playlist naming conventions, to the detriment of other users. 

This happens across devices whenever I'm using voice commands. 

Plan

Premium

Country

USA 

My Question or Issue

Senderbell

One year later and still the same.

I say "Play my playlist Daily Mix 3" i get daily mix 1 (not my Daily mix 1 but different spam playlist)

I say again and i get album from Louis Masters called Daily mix 3. 

I say "Daily mix 4" and i get album from Louis Masters called Daily Mix 4

It doesn't matter if I say it to the google speakers or the smartphone with android 11

Do something with that. Please!

Senderbell

I have the same problem.

The last update "8.7.78.373" did not fix it.

In the previous version this problem was much less common.

Lyubka

Hey there folks, 

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

Can you let us know roughly when did this start happening and if it's happening with other playlists as well?

We'd also recommend to log in with a different account and try to voice play those playlist there to test if you'll experience the same.

In case the issue persists, it'd be great if you could tell us the exact make and model of the affected device, its operating system, as well as the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies.

Senderbell

In my case, the problem is with all personalized playlists, daily mixes and discover weekly.

When I ask assistant for my daily mix 3 i hear another daily mix 3 from Louis Masters. There are more playlists from this author like daily mix 2 and 4.

I checked it on another account, another phone and another android version and I always hear daily mixes from Louis Masters.

But, there is one exception. If I typed to assistant play "discover weekly" in my language then everything is ok but when I try it in english - Louis Masters band.

Previous version of Spotify works fine.

My device is Motorola G5g with android 11.

Spotify app 8.7.78.373