High Quality Streaming Problems

Device:

Windows

Operating System Version:

Windows 10

Spotify Version:

1.0.28.87.g8f9312a4

Description:

I have the sound quality set to High quality streaming (which is supposed to be 320 kbps?) and my iTunes of 128 kbps sounds WAY better...

To reproduce:

1. I've noticed this on a few albums.
  2. I play The Bends by Radiohead in Spotify... I notice it sounds terrible
  3. I play The Bends by Radiohead from my iTunes rip... I notice it sounds WONDERFUL.
  4. Confirm Spotify Premium with setting of High Quality turned on (I've heard should be 320 kbps?)
  5.  Confirm my iTunes rip is only 128 kbps

Workaround:

Maybe it'd be nice to confirm what Streaming quality I'm getting?

Currently my work around is to listen to it on iTunes.

Additional information:

I have almost all but abandoned my iTunes because it is so much easier to manage Spotify (Spotify manages the music for me), but I've noticed the music quality is sometimes pretty terrible in comparison. 

Not sure what to do about it other than complain/listen to it in iTunes instead.

I realize this is a subjective complaint... but I review music as a hobby, play in a band, and have studied music. I consider myself to have a pretty good ear. I don't think I'm off-base with the complaint.

Spotify.JPG
spotify2.JPG

Hi there!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

You can find more info about our streaming quality here: https://support.spotify.com/us/article/what-bitrate-does-spotify-use-for-streaming/

Thanks for the feedback though, we'll make sure to pass in on to the right team.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Comments
gnovella16
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hi there!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

You can find more info about our streaming quality here: https://support.spotify.com/us/article/what-bitrate-does-spotify-use-for-streaming/

Thanks for the feedback though, we'll make sure to pass in on to the right team.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

sethmadsen
Thanks for confirming bit rates. I see the ~ symbol before it, indicating that I would get about, but would suspect at least more that 160?

OK, so my question is why is my 128k iTunes sounding better than my 320k quality premium?

In passing on to the right team, does that mean I'll eventually get an answer?

Will there be a quality column added in the future confirming the quality I am actually getting?

Thanks for your help.
sethmadsen

Ok... I hate to say it, but once I finish this listening project I am doing right now... I probably am not keeping Spotify premium. 

No response and I've done this for a few albums and my iTunes import totally sounds better, even though some are 128 kbps.

Some albums there isn't a noticible difference because the range of frequencies isn't that great, or the original recording itself isn't that great, but some albums there is markable difference and well... I'm paying for the high end and totally not getting the 320 kbps. 

Even if it there was a feature saying what bitrate I was getting... if it told me 320... I wouldn't believe it. 

It's too bad because as much as I don't agree with what Spotify pays it's artists, I do LOVE the fact that I don't have to organize my music own music, and like the format of Spotify better than Google Music or Apple Music.

Maybe I'll use Google music and see if I like the quality better.