Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

High Spotify CPU usage (Mac)

Hey folks,

We're receiving reports of an unusually high CPU usage on the part of Spotify.

First, we'd recommend trying a clean reinstall of the app on your device by following the steps here.

If after that you’re still having trouble with this, it'd be great if you'd provide us with the following info:

• your device + operating system version
  • exact Spotify version
  • a brief description of how you come to experience the issue
  • one or more screenshots

Once we have that, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.

Thanks!

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
Mario
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey folks,

We're receiving reports of an unusually high CPU usage on the part of Spotify.

First, we'd recommend trying a clean reinstall of the app on your device by following the steps here.

If after that you’re still having trouble with this, it'd be great if you'd provide us with the following info:

• exact Spotify version

Once we have that, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.

Thanks!

ojd233

I'm on a 2019 MacBook Air, running Catalina 10.15.5. My Spotify version is 1.1.36.734.g8731c306. When I clean reinstalled Spotify, it was completely fine until I started to play a song, as soon as I did this the CPU usage went to 95-100%, causing my fans to start up heavily. After this, whenever I open the application, the CPU pins at 95-100% and the fans start. Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 18.04.20.png

infinitypgh

Having the same issue MBP 16"  

spotify version 1.1.36.734.g8731c306

Catalina 10.15.5

Tried clean install to no avail.  CPU steady over 100% with spotify running, causes temp to spike and fans to run on high too. 

zuzoborz3

Hi,

Same problem on my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) with Catalina 10.15.5 and Spotify 1.1.36.734.g8731c306.

After a clean reinstall I've had no problem for about a day when it started again. No need for playing song, enough to open the application and it puts the cpu to max frequency.

Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 19.22.56.pngScreenshot 2020-07-08 at 19.21.23.png

FlavieCouture

I also have this problem!

• your device + operating system version : Macbook Pro 15-inch 2018, MacOS HighSierra version 10.13.6
  • exact Spotify version: 1.1.36.734.g8731c306
  • I've seen that even if I'm on the artist's page or a random playlist, there are certain songs that make my energy impact go to 100 and more while the other songs are at a more reasonable number (6-12). I tried to reinstall the app 3 times (with the "clean" method)  and nothing changed.
  • one or more screenshots:Capture d’écran 2020-07-08 à 19.37.54.png
MrNetics

+1 !

Elbnl

Same here. MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017), Catalina 10.15.5. Spotify version: 1.1.36.734.g8731c306. If I just open Spotify the CPU spikes up, same as the other comments. I have reinstalled following the steps on your site but nothing changed. 

I hope with all the info from the comments you can help us. Thanks!

As requested:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
    2.6GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
    16GB RAM
    Radeon Pro 560X 4GB + Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB

macOS Catalina 10.15.5

Just to add - I tried clearing nvram and turned off hardware acceleration.

• exact Spotify version
    1.1.36.734.g8731c306

Starting Spotify app - shortly after (playing music or not) the fans go nuts and CPU is at 100%
    I tried the uninstall, clear cache reinstall. This reset the "start on startup" flag and just now I got the issue by booting the laptop - Spotify starts (without me doing anything) and fans start going - so this happens when I turn the laptop on without doing anything else. (I stopped it starting automatically and will not be starting the client up at all until this is fixed).

About 1 second after opening - nothing playing.About 1 second after opening - nothing playing.
    That is about 1 second after opening - nothing is playing and I didn't even open the window.
elkmann90

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 12.37.26.png

I'm not even playing any music. Fan sounds like it's about to make my MacBook Air take off. 

MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019)

Processor 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Catalina 10.15.5 

Please fix this.

Mario
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We’ve passed the available info on to the relevant team, who are currently looking into it.

If you get to experience this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and provide us with the following info:

• exact Spotify version

Thanks! We’ll let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.