Incompatibility with Windows 10 Creator???

Since upgrading last night from the prior version of Win 10, I have had ongoing serious tech problems that seem to be caused by Spotify. If I allow the Spotify app to start, the computer totally locks up (no keyboard or mouse input, no error message). I have tried an uninstall and reinstall without benefit. Computer is running well otherwise. Love to have a suggestion to fix this.

Gary

Hey everyone,

It looks like this specific issue has been resolved by installing the latest version of Spotify from the Windows App Store! We recommend installing this version right away to resolve this. 

If this doesn't help, you could be experiencing an unrelated issue. Feel free to let us know about all about it, including as much detail as you can, in a new thread. We'll look into it.

Thanks!

Comments
Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey @gviner18! Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Alright, let's get to the bottom of this. What OS and Spotify version are you rocking? Also, if you have any screenshots or videos of this, they would be very helpful! :)

Have a nice day!

gviner18
Casual Listener

Hi Huib,

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and just installed the most current version which is version 1703 OS build 15063.13. I cannot tell you what version of Spotify as it is no longer on my Win 10 PC but the reinstall was based on the fresh download from my Premium membership website. Is that a sufficient response?

There is no video or screenshot. When I booted up initially with the new Windows install, everything seemed to function well (I have way too many apps, so start-up is slow) but as Spotify started the screen did not finsih and the system froze (no keyboard or mouse input) and only option was power-off. This kept recurring, so I did a slective startup and ultimately eliminated Spotify.

I did do a trial reinstall and had same result so am reluctant to waste more time trying without some guidance.

Thanks,

Gary

MonicaM_Bogota
Roadie

Thanks for letting us know, @gviner18!

Let's try a deeper reisntall to get this fixed. Just follow these steps:

• Make sure you're logged out of Spotify and then close the program.
  • Uninstall 
  • Browse to the cache and delete everything inside the folder. The default location should be: C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage
  • There is a folder for each profile that has been logged into Spotify on that computer account. the location for this should be: C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\
  • Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, press and hold the F8 key as your computer is restarting.
  • In Safe Mode, open the Spotify Installer (from where it’s saved on your PC) and go through the installation process.
  • Once Spotify is installed, restart your computer normally.

Let us know if this helps.
gviner18
Casual Listener

Thanks for the prompt advice. My uninstall must have been effective, because there were no spotify folders/files in the cache. When I tried to run spotifysetup (a surprisingly small 272KB file) when in safe mode with networking, nothing happened. So one more time (with a fresh download of the installer file), I am making another attempt in run mode (there were some new Windows 10 updates installed earlier this afternoon). (Perhaps it did not run becasue it is not an trusted app from Microsoft store).

However, after the install runs, the same thing seems to occur as last time - I get to the login screen and nothing happens when I put in user name and password. I have uninstalled again as I do not want to waste more time but happy to have further suggestions.

Perhaps Microsoft is trying to undermine Spotify so that I use Groove?

Gary

MonicaM_Bogota
Roadie

Thanks for keeping us updated, @gviner18!

Just to check, do you use any firewalls or antivirus that may be blocking Spotify? Also, try to log in to our webplayer to check if this is still happening.

Keep us on the loop. 

gviner18
Casual Listener

I thought I had replied, but it did not save.

I am using Norton 360 and it has not interefered to date.

I am able to log onto the web player, but it is a very slow download and the screen appears to be incomplete, even though music does play.

Maria_B
Roadie

Thanks for the info, @gviner18!

That's odd. If you're on WiFi, can you try rebooting the router for it? Then try to log in again. Also, could you try from a different PC under the same WiFi network? 

Let us know how it goes.
gviner18
Casual Listener

I did a reboot of my router and other connections. A subsequent download of Spotify has now worked on a different Win 10 computer. I think I will be brave and try it one more time on my primary computer. Wish me luck! :)

gviner18
Casual Listener

Unfortuantely, I did the install on the offending Win 10 computer and had the identical problem: Spotify seems to install, but once I get to the login screen, I can put in user name and password, but nothing happens when I try to log in except Spotify alternates from full screen to a sized window. As that was the appearance the last time and resulted in freezing of my computer on rebooting, I uninstalled.

Clearly the issue is not an incompatibility with Win 10 Creator (as it works on my other computer) but there must be some app or driver that is conflicting since I updated my Win 10 installation (as everything was working fine before).

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Gary

gviner18
Casual Listener

One further update. I tried to do a refresh on Win 10, again to no avail. When I downloaded and installed Spotify on this offending computer, I had the exact same result. The login screen does not respond after putting in user name and password. So very strange and frustrating. Gary