Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issues with playing tunes outside of Liked Songs or playlists on the desktop app

Hey there,

We're aware of issues with playing songs outside of the Liked Songs collection or playlists.

This is being investigated.

Hi folks,

A few days have passed, so the latest version which includes the fix should now be available to everyone! You'll find more info on how to update the app in this article.

Once again thank you all for the collective effort in aiding us during the investigation. You're awesome!

Cheers!

Top Answer
Yordan

Awesome! Thanks for confirming folks! I'm honestly so happy to finally hear that!

A massive thank you to each and every one of you in this thread. The help and dedication you've shown here is beyond admirable, and for that you have our utmost respect!

We'll give this a few more days so that the others can also confirm the desktop app's working normally now. Fingers crossed!

Cheers everyone! You rock!

Comments
maddn

Frankly, I am starting moving my music to Apple Music. I have found excellent tools to do that.

I am keeping Spotify for a while but if they don't solve this soon, i will be optinh out.

jauuum

Hey, has anyone solved it yet? I'm having the same problem here... 

I wonder if I can download an older version of the desktop app, I've been only using the web version since

MaximumHats

SongShift is apparently a useful utility for moving playlists from Spotify to Apple Music. I've been thinking of doing the same thing.

Carnaee

Plan

Premium

Country

India

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10, 64-bit

My Question or Issue

For a couple months now, I have been having an issue that songs will not play from a search/ from the artist's profile. I can play music from my library and home fine, but whenever I attempt to listen to a searched song, it greys out, as seen in the video. This does not occur on my phone nor my web browser, and has been irritating me for a long time.

I've tried numerous things to fix this, such as:

1. Performing a clean reinstall of Spotify several times.
2. Ensuring the Spotify client was up-to-date.
3. Tried following the instructions on this post (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Songs-not-playing-on-Windows-client/m-p/4682481/thr...) which did not work.
4. Updating my audio drivers.

Alex

Hey there @Carnaee,

Thanks for the post.

This is very odd, especially since songs play from playlists and on the web player.

I'd suggest trying the following:

1. Uninstall the app and clear all related files again, but reinstall the app from the MS store instead of our website or vice versa, 
  2. Clear your Hosts file from any entries containing 'Spotify' as described here.
  3. Try using a different network connection and switch off any VPN/ Private tunnel.

Let us know if that helps.

UnchainedMelody

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Songs that aren't in a playlist or have been at some point liked by me wont play.

When I like a song that wont play, or the album that it's in, it will play after that.

Possibly related - At the same time of this issue appearing, Discord stopped displaying the song im currently listening to as my status. I don't think this is an issue with Discord though.

I have already tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify twice and it has not fixed the issue.

Carnaee

Hey Alex, thanks for the reply.

I've tried all your suggestions but unfortunately they did not resolve my issue. I have also noticed that if I add a song from the artist's profile to a playlist / like it, it loads and starts playing. I've attached a video of this as well.

tedtedted666

I also have the same problem. Songs will play only if I add them to a playlist. This happens on my desktop. Everything works fine on my laptop and phone. I've tried all the suggestions on this thread, and i am not running a VPN. When will Spotify figure this out? The help the offer shows that they have no idea what is going on.

jenyybyrne

Im having the same issue and I've just been using my web player instead of the app on my desktop until today--now my web player is having the same issue. I can only play songs added to my playlist or that I've liked. I don't use a VPN, I'm connected to my ethernet, did clean installs, logged out of my account, tried a hotspot, restarted my computer, even tried messing with my firewalls and 3 party ad blockers. Nothing. This doesn't seem like an account issue or a computer issue, it seems like this version of spotify has script issues. Anybody figure it out???

Alex

Hi folks, 

Thanks for the posts, @Carnaee thanks for the video.

Could you please let us know your exact Spotify app version and if you're on Windows 10 or 11.

Looking forward to your replies.