Kenwood Bluetooth Spotify App not connecting to Phone

Greetings Spotifyers,

I use a new Kenwood Headunit which besides Android Auto also has the ability to use the Build In Spotify App to use via Bluetooth.

My Phone is the Samsung Note 8 and everything is Up to Date, also the Headunit.

The Phone connects via Bluetooth to the Headunit and provides me using the Headunit to take Calls and using Bluetooth Media to Stream the Audio on my Phone.

But when I want to use the Spotify App on the Headunit, the Spotify App shows "no connection". When I watch the Option Sliders/Switch for Bluetooth Connections (Calls, Media, etc) on my Phone, I cant turn on the Media Option. But when going back on the Headunit to Bluetooth Media, the Media Option on my Phone goes on. Switching back to the Spotify App on the Headunit, and its Off again.

I tried everything from clearing the Cache for Spotify on my Phone to restarting everything. I also disconnected the Phone a few times and also deleted my Phone on the Headunit and the Headunit on my Phone. I also gave it a few times, to maybe load things. I also conected it via Cable and started Spotify on my Phone to maybe load things.

Nothing helps.

This Problem is only when trying to use the Spotify App on the Headunit via Bluetooth. Android Auto and Spotify works great.

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Greetings from Germany.

Hey folks,

We've noticed a few people are still having this issue. We've now flagged this with the right team, who are goin to look into it.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix at the moment, but we'd recommend keeping your Spotify app up-to-date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks!

Related Issues

Comments
Ch33kyMnk3y
Visitor

I am having this issue as well. I have a Kenwood Excelon DNX995S and a Pixel 2. I able able to listen to spotify over bluetooth, although I am unable to control it with the HU, just the phone. If I go into the bluetooth "option" in the HU, but if I click spotify it just says "Not Connected."  I've tried clearing cache, resintalling spotify, factory resetting my phone even. Nothing seems to make any difference. It has never actually worked since I bought the head unit, regardless of the version of spotify I used. Mind you, it does work with android auto, however I have to plug in for that (as the HU doesnt support Android Auto over bluetooth), and I would like this to just work without having to plug my phone into the car.

Seems like Spotify is just ignoring this issue... perhaps I should switch to Pandora? That actually works just fine.

Egp1
Visitor
Have you tried changing the lightning connector? Changing mine fixed the problem
gooselee1
Regular

Spotify support is terrible. There is another thread here with almost 50 pages documenting 10 months of problems with the native BMW integration, which broke at the same time these issues came up with Kenwood (and from all the data posted, is clearly tied to a November 2018 Spotify app update).

Spotify reps have closed that thread to further comments, marked it as "Solved", and said in a final post they have no plans/timeline for fixing the problem and are stopping further comments as they do not want to hear any more about it.

What a spectacular way to treat your user base.

J-Rigity
Casual Listener

So that's that?  I spend $500 for a Kenwood HU specifically for it's (supposed) ability to control Spotify natively but then low and behold it doesn't work (never has since I installed it 6 months ago) and now it seems it will never be fixed?  Who's really at fault here?  Spotify or Kenwood (or both)??

gooselee1
Regular

Given that this issue is occurring across multiple brands of head units, both aftermarket and OEM, I would say that the common issue is with Spotify, who has made it clear that they do not intend to fix it anytime soon.

eivi91

Hello again, 

I don't know, but it has worked flawlessly for me after i turned off battery optimization. 

Settings -> Apps -> Spotify -> Battery

I think the problem is that Android does shut down some vital functions to make this work. 

Try it. 

My headunit is DMX7017DABS (which has the latest firmware (can be downloaded from Kenwood)

And my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8. 

Best regards

gooselee1
Regular

I have turned off battery optimization; attempted to connect with my phone unlocked, plugged to a charger, and Spotify app open and running (and any combination of the above); factory reset my phone; and tried with two other phones (one brand new, hot-fresh from Verizon store). Nothing works.

The problem is with every Spotify build after November 2018. Spotify are the ones who can fix it. They apparently are not going to.

gooselee1
Regular

As Spotify have proven they have no interest in actually fixing their app, I have cancelled my Family Premium subscription as of today. Quite happy with a mix of Amazon, Deezer, Google Play, and SiriusXM now.