[LOCAL] Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Hello,

The local files not playing issue is back. This time it appeared after a Spotify update. Since then I have been desperately looking for a solution, or hiding away in Ubuntu where the issue is not there.

No local files will play. It will tell me, "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it" and that's that. Now I have tried several codecs, made sure Quicktime is installed, tried to update my audio drivers, tried several versions of my audio drivers, tried reinstalling Spotify, tried rebooting...tried just about everything I can think of, even verifying system files to be sure nothing is wrong with the OS itself.

It is driving me insane. Any help?

Codecs Installed:  CoreVorbis_1.1.0.79_20050813, ogg-acm-0036 and l3codecx.exe.
Quicktime: Installed.

Thanks,

Hello everyone,

Thanks for reporting this to us. The right teams are now looking into this matter.

Let us know if any of this works:

• Update your audio drivers
  • Try several versions of your audio drivers
  • Try reinstalling Spotify and delete the info in AppData
  • Try rebooting your device

If it doesn't, could you let us know (if you haven't already) :

• The exact device you're using now?
  • The exact version of Spotify you're using now?
  • Operating system + version?

Don't forget to click +VOTE if this happens to you as well.

Thanks guys! Have a great day :)

Related Issues

Comments
chiefjoboo
Gig Goer

'This song is not available. If you have the file on your computer you can import it"

I have already cleared my "local-files.bnk" in the spotify system files and it rebuilt the database but I'm getting the same error still.

Nothing is greyed out. When I try to play a local file it blinks the album art for a second and then tells me the error above.

Version 1.0.79.200.g9ddd3022

Alfredo
Roadie

Hey @chiefjoboo!

Thanks for reaching out to the community.

Just to confirm, are all your sound drivers up to date? Also, does this happen if you use a specific audio output (e.g. headphones, speakers)?

In the meantime, let's try reinstalling the Spotify app to see if it helps. You'll need to add your local files again after the reinstallation is complete.

Keep me posted.

chiefjoboo
Gig Goer

I have had 3 conversations with support about this and have tried everything you can think of. I have reinstalled and tried a different directory for my local files and everything else that support told me over 3 times.

The problem always came back after a specific update one day. I would install the version from the website and it would auto update and then poof - problem's back. I did this over and over for support until they thought the program was at fault and gave me an older version from 2015 that didn't update. That has patched the issue for me now.

RckyBobby

Plan

Premium Family

Country

USA

Device

PC/ Galaxy s7

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I uploaded a few tool albums into my music folder so they would be listed in my local files section and I can listen to them in my spotify playlist. When I forst uploaded the albums yesterday it worked fine, now it just says "can not play the song" and the songs show up on my phones playlist but they are shaded out and it will not play. This is beyone aggrivating, I pay 15 a month to not be able to use my own music?

I have read a few posts about this issue and I have tried all of the solutions I could find and downloaded every codec I could find and it still is not working.

miq3263827
Casual Listener

I want to second this problem-- It's always worked for me before but I noticed the same thing about a week ago and have tried all of the most recent "solved" suggestions, including restarting the program, restarting the computer, complete uninstall/ reinstallation of Spotify, changing of settings, creation of seperate playlist with those local files, deletion of the "local" file in the app data folder...

One thing I have noticed is that a few times- seperately, after a restart of the PC, the firewall has popped up asking for permission to allow Spotify through-- which has never really happened before-- but it still doesn't work even after allowing it.

Pretty frustrating.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 7

Hey @miq3263827 and @RckyBobby, help's here.

If we understand you correctly, you can't play the local files on either one of the devices. We suggest that you try moving the files to another folder and use that as a source for local files in the Spotify settings. @miq3263827 did you already do this?

After that, download the playlist to your phone using the same Wifi. A mobile hotspot connecting both devices would be even better.

Make sure that your Spotify app is up-to-date.

Please check here for more help and criteria, and let us know how it goes! Include screenshots :)

avi312singh1
Regular

Turn off crossfade, for some reason you can't crossfade local files???

Instead of playing the local files - the music just refuses to play and F's up the playlist

Hey there @avi312singh1,

Thanks for posting!

Just to confirm, crossfade doesn't work with your local files? If that's the case, please let us know if this occurs in all devices or a certain one (Eg. your mobile device). If it only occurs in a certain device, make sure to try the steps here first.

Let us know how it goes!

miq3263827
Casual Listener

The issue is with my desktop

Spotify is up to date, I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times.

I've never had crossfade on in the settings on my desktop.

I moved the entire folder to another location and set that in the local files settings, and it still won't work.

Twixmonkey
Gig Goer

BUMP

I have also tried deleting the local-files file from the AppData location as well as testing moving my music to my local OS drive to see if it picks it up, it does not work.

My Spotify version; 1.0.90.268.ga8a0ceb4