Announcements

Library / My music max size shrinking slowly

I want to listen my music such way that I add potential music to 'playlist' and remove bad tracks when they play. On spotify, only feasible way to do this is add music to library / my music, and in case of unwanted track, remove it.

However, maximum size of library seems to be shrinking. On December I got "Epic collection, friend. Your library is all filled up. To save more, you'll need to remove some songs" and with Ctrl-A + Drag trick it said I have 9181 tracks on library. Today, same situation, but collection is full with only 9141 tracks.

I suppose max should be 10k, but I can't get there. Some bug in spotify? I'm using spotify in linux & android.

Hey @tavasti!

For albums, all its songs plus the album itself count towards the limit (e.g. a 10 track album counts as 11 tracks toward the limit). In this case, you can remove saved albums and save only the songs from the albums instead. This should give you a few hundred more songs to save in your library.

You can also use a Radio station to easely like/deslike songs and modify it as you drive. However, we'll gladly pass your feedback about this on to the right team.

If anyhting else comes up, just give us a shout.

All the best

Comments
FabianS_Bogota
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey @tavasti!

It's odd that this happens. Just to confirm, have you tried the same from a different device? If possible send us a screenshot of the error you receive when trying to add new songs to your library. We'll see what to suggest.

Take care!

tavasti

Same error happens in Linux (several devices) and Android (2 separate devices tested), behaviour is consistent, meaning works same way all the time.

And regarding saved albums, when turning on 'Saved albums only', I have 172 saved albums. In past I've saved many more albums, but slowly, have removed 'bad' tracks from them, so they are not 'saved' in meaning of spotify UI. Theory is that saved albums fill that remaining gap of 900 tracks, and slowly that gap is rising, and I can't do anything.

See screenshot video for showing behaviour on Linux for saving one more song. https://youtu.be/xJTjBU8m57Y

Mara_F

Thanks for that info @tavasti

Keep in mind there's currently a 10k limit in Your Music (Songs + Albums + Artists), so there's a chance that other albums or artists are taking up that available space for more songs. Can you remove some albums and try adding new songs? Does that work? 

We'll be here.

tavasti

Ok, I thought 10k is tracks. Can I remove saved albums / artists without removing tracks? I don't care at all about saved artists or albums, only tracks matter.

And yes, if I remove something, I can add.

Mara_F

In this case @tavasti, you'll lose the tracks if you remove the albums. However, you can always add the extra tracks you love in playlists - we have no limit over there 🙂 

Give it a shot and let us know if it works. 

tavasti

Playlists are unusable for removing unwanted tracks. Try create 1000 track playlist, put it playing with random, start driving car, and after few tracks, try to remove currently playing track.

Mara_F

Hmm @tavasti, can you let us know what happens when you try to remove a track from a playlist? Do you get any error messages?

In the meantime, let us know what device and Spotify version you're rocking.

We'll see what we can suggest. 

tavasti

If I remove currently playing track from playlist while driving car, I will hit something with car and kill someone. UI is so complicated, that it is impossible.

Spotify 8.4.36.321 running in Android.

Alfredo
Status changed to: Closed

Hey @tavasti!

For albums, all its songs plus the album itself count towards the limit (e.g. a 10 track album counts as 11 tracks toward the limit). In this case, you can remove saved albums and save only the songs from the albums instead. This should give you a few hundred more songs to save in your library.

You can also use a Radio station to easely like/deslike songs and modify it as you drive. However, we'll gladly pass your feedback about this on to the right team.

If anyhting else comes up, just give us a shout.

All the best

Env: prod