Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Low volume when casting Spotify

Hello

I had been using spotify with several google home devices for a few months with no problem.

It started about 1 month ago for no reasons: I have a very low volume when casting spotify on my devices:

Harman Kardon Citation 500

Google home mini

It means when I use google assistant or any other app (tunein for radio, bluetooth on the speaker..) the volume is perfectly fine and loud. When I Switch to Spotify I have to double the volume level at least to get the same output...!

Harman Kardon support couldn't help me at all so I hope someone can give me a solution ?

I've try unplugging the speakers, factory reset... didn't work

Thank you !

PS: i'm not a native english speaker so I hope I was clear enough

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and for all your valuable information.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
Novy

Hi again @Roy35

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Just to confirm, were you able to test this using a different account on any of the other devices you mentioned? 

We'd also recommend turning Audio normalization on following these steps. Let us know if this makes any difference. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

Roy35
I tested it on different devices with my own spotify-account. I dont have another account.
Yes, audio normalization is on.

Please note that this issue didn’t exist one month or so ago for me. I didn’t change any hardware of network.
Novy

Hey @Roy35

Thanks for your quick reply.

In this case, could you try creating a new test account here? Don't worry if it's on the free service, we'd just like to know if you have the same issue using a different account. This will help us investigate further. 

Keep us posted. 

Roy35
Yes the problem stays the same. The volume drops dramatically when casting spotify
Roy35

@novy I also tried casting with Deezer en YoutubeMusic, both are working ok during casting to smart speaker. With this app’s there is no drop in volume.

So this is really a Spotify problem. Please solve this at Spotify. I actually dont want to change my subscription to Deezer but if spotify does not solve this i have to

Mihail

Hey @Roy35,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We appreciate the time you've taken to troubleshoot this so far. We would like to test one more thing - does it make a difference when you change the audio quality settings in the Spotify app? 

Let us know how things work out.

Roy35
@mihal everything is on ‘high’
I also tried the other quality settings but that does not make any difference
Mihail

Hey @Roy35,

Thanks for testing this out. 

You mentioned that Volume normalization is turned on - does the issue persists when you change the Volume level setting underneath? How about when Volume normalization is tuned off?

You also mention that this behavior comes up when casting to your Harman Kardon and Google home mini, are other devices affected your just these? If you could borrow a friends device and try casting there, that would also help us identifying the root cause of the problem.

Keep us posted. We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Roy35
The Volume Level setting is on ‘hard/loud’ but I also tried ‘normal’.
And yes I also tried with audionormalization off.

I tried casting to my brothers Harman Kardon and the problem is the same. The volume drops dramatically. On the display the volume level stays the same, for example 20%, but as soon as you start casting with spotify you can not hear it anymore and have to turn up to 60% to hear the same loudness.
Again for your understanding, when I use for example Deezer, with the same hardware, same network, same casting device, there is no problem.
Rikochet

Same issue here and only just noticed it starting today.

Moving from internet radio, the like-for-like volume of Spotify is so low that when you get it to normal listening levels, then the Google Assistant deafens you.

This is on a HK Citation 300 which hasn't updated its firmware since 2020.