[Mac] Client crashes after 30 seconds

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

MacBook Pro (Mid-2012), 10.14.3 (all updates installed), Spotify 1.1.0.237.g378f6f25

My Question or Issue

Spotify always crashes 30 seconds after application start. No error, no warning, it simply quits whether a song is playing or the app is idle. The problem occurred under MacOS 10.13 from time to time but has been permanent since the last update to 10.14 a week ago.

Steps tried to solve the issue, yet no success

1. Updated and re-installed Spotify (according to official instructions deleting relevant Library folders), did all MacOS-related updates
  2. Added Spotify to Allowed Applications under Privacy > Accessibility and Privacy > Full Disk Access
  3. Quit BetterTouchTool and BetterSnapTool as potential apps interfering with Spotify
  4. Switched off Hardware Acceleration, Crossfade Songs and logged in with another account
  5. Rebooted several times

Active Spotify Processes (copied from Activity Monitor)

Spotify – Spotify Helper – VTDecoderXPCService – Spotify Helper – Spotify Helper 

(I may try to obtain a process sample during the crash if requested)

I am looking forward to your ideas on how to solve the issue. Currently, I am not able to use Spotify on my Mac at all which is sad.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Robert

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

If you’re still experiencing this issue, let us know and we’ll look into it.

Thanks!

Related Issues

Comments

Hey @rigti2012.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Sounds like something might be up with your hosts file. Try following the next few steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop.
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit .
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

rigti2012
Casual Listener

Hello Guido,

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it!

I've checked hosts for Spotify-related entries but there was none. Hence, still no solution… Maybe another idea?

Best,

Robert

nojos

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro (Late 2013 running Mac OS 10.14.3). I just subscribed to spotify and JUST installed the desktop app on my computer.

The app closes after 20-30 seconds of being open. This happened on the first time i opened the software yesterday and has continued since.

Hey @nojos and @rigti2012,

Check out this topic from a few months ago. It has some troubleshooting steps that seem to have worked for many users.

Try out a few things and let us know if it helped :)

Have a nice day!

rigti2012
Casual Listener

Hello there,

Thanks again for your continuous efforts.

I've double checked the Accessibility and Full Disk Access setting to be enabled. I attached a screenshot just to make sure I got it right. I also quit every Taskbar app that could interfere with Spotify although I don't have things like iStat Menu installed.

Unfortunately, Spotify keeps crashing after 30 sec. Hm.

Robert

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.41.09.pngAccessibilityScreen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.46.40.pngFull Disk Access

nojos

I have gone through the post you mentioned and none of the changes have worked. I have given spotify "full disk access" and "accessibility". I have not option to give "microphone access".

I have also confirmed that the hosts file has no lines with Spotify in it.

Lastly, if I sign out of spotify, it does not close. If i sign in, it closes within a few seconds.

Thanks for your help.

MySickDude

Plan

Premium

Device

MacBoook Pro Early 2013

Operating System

macOS Mojave 10.14.2

Since the last update (Spotifiy 1.1.0) the application crashes right after it launched. So I'm able to see the home screen (playlists list, recommendations) for less than a second and then it crashes. I tried to deeply remove the app using AppCleaner and then reinstall it but the problem remains. However, downgrading to a previous version (1.0.99) fixes the issue.

Also, when I launch the application from the Terminal the application crashes with error message : "Segmentation fault: 11".

Thank you for the help,

MySickDude

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @MySickDude and welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

I see you've done some troubleshooting by yourself :)

Could you try updating to macOS 10.14.3 to see if that helps?

Have you tried that on another user account on your Mac?

If possible try to boot into Safe Mode to test the app (just hold the Shift key when the computer is turning on).

Let me know how that goes.

MySickDude

Thank you very much for your fast answer !

I updated my Mac and then tried opening Spotify in Safe Mode but the crash remains. However, creating a new account on my computer and running Spotify from there solves the issue ! Now how could I fix it on my account ?

Thanks again

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @MySickDude,

We have to options.

One to make the new account your main account in the Mac and transfer everything there.

The other is to try and find some other app that might be causing this.

Try disabling or removing some apps that you think might be trouble to see if that helps fix this issue.

Let me know how that goes :)