[Mac] Client crashes after 30 seconds

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

MacBook Pro (Mid-2012), 10.14.3 (all updates installed), Spotify 1.1.0.237.g378f6f25

My Question or Issue

Spotify always crashes 30 seconds after application start. No error, no warning, it simply quits whether a song is playing or the app is idle. The problem occurred under MacOS 10.13 from time to time but has been permanent since the last update to 10.14 a week ago.

Steps tried to solve the issue, yet no success

1. Updated and re-installed Spotify (according to official instructions deleting relevant Library folders), did all MacOS-related updates
  2. Added Spotify to Allowed Applications under Privacy > Accessibility and Privacy > Full Disk Access
  3. Quit BetterTouchTool and BetterSnapTool as potential apps interfering with Spotify
  4. Switched off Hardware Acceleration, Crossfade Songs and logged in with another account
  5. Rebooted several times

Active Spotify Processes (copied from Activity Monitor)

Spotify – Spotify Helper – VTDecoderXPCService – Spotify Helper – Spotify Helper 

(I may try to obtain a process sample during the crash if requested)

I am looking forward to your ideas on how to solve the issue. Currently, I am not able to use Spotify on my Mac at all which is sad.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Robert

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

If you’re still experiencing this issue, let us know and we’ll look into it.

Thanks!

Comments
MySickDude

Unfortunately I have no clue for which app could cause this 😕 And migrating my whole account just for Spotify would be too much time consuming..

Anyway, thank you very much for the help !

Loxer
Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17

Hey @MySickDude,

Sorry to hear that.

Could you give a try the Sign Out Everywhere and Remove Offline devices from your Spotify account page to see if that helps?

Does this happen if you sign in with another Spotify account?

I'd also recommend trying to clean install Spotify after you've updated to Mojave 10.14.3 by using these steps:

1. Click Spotify in the menu bar then Quit Spotify.
  2. Open Finder then click Go > Library in the menu bar. (You may need to hold the Alt key if Library isn’t visible).
  3. Open Caches and delete the com.spotify.Client folder.
  4. Click the back arrow.
  5. Open Application Support and delete the Spotify folder.
  6. Download and install Spotify.

Please let me know how that goes 🙂

Peter
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this to us. We have passed this onto the right team, who are currently looking into it.

Could we ask you to leave the following information in the comments section below for us:

• device + OS version
  • exact Spotify version?

Also don't forget to click +VOTE if you are experiencing this issue.

Thanks! We'll let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

rigti2012
Casual Listener

Hi Peter,

Thanks for bringing forward the investigation!

Sure, here are the details:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
  • macOS Mojave 10.14.3 (18D109)
  • Spotify 1.1.0.237.g378f6f25

Best,

Robert

MySickDude
Unfortunately none of these solutions worked 😞
Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey @MySickDude,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We are aware of an issue with the app and are currently investigating it. Feel free to contribute in this topic where we gather information from affected users and keep everybody up-to-date. We'll get this sorted as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

MySickDude
Great, thank you very much ! I will add my experience to have all the informations in one thread !
MySickDude

I have the same problem too ! As I stated in this post, I'm running the last version of Spotify (1.1.0) with macOS Mojave 10.14.3 on a MacBook Pro Retina (Early 2013). The application crashes right after the login (whatever the account is). However, two solutions are working for the moment :

• Downgrading to the previous Spotify version (1.0.99)
  • Using another user account on macOS (not the Spotify account)

Hope this may help !

P.S: Is there a way to disable Spotify auto-updates ? Otherwise the application gets updated by itself and I cannot keep the downgraded version

whatever_1234
Visitor

macOS Mojave 10.14.3

Most up to date version of Spotify

I am having identical issue here.

theNMPlaylist

Having a frustrating issue for 3 weeks now...desktop app crashing upon launch...and Spotify STILL doesn't have a fix. Wondering if anyone out there can be of assistance.

Running Mojave 10.14.3. Have unistalled. Reinstalled. Run Disk Utility. Etc. Etc. Nothing seems to work. Anyone have any suggestions? Going crazy over here!