[Mac] Client crashes after 30 seconds

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

MacBook Pro (Mid-2012), 10.14.3 (all updates installed), Spotify 1.1.0.237.g378f6f25

My Question or Issue

Spotify always crashes 30 seconds after application start. No error, no warning, it simply quits whether a song is playing or the app is idle. The problem occurred under MacOS 10.13 from time to time but has been permanent since the last update to 10.14 a week ago.

Steps tried to solve the issue, yet no success

1. Updated and re-installed Spotify (according to official instructions deleting relevant Library folders), did all MacOS-related updates
  2. Added Spotify to Allowed Applications under Privacy > Accessibility and Privacy > Full Disk Access
  3. Quit BetterTouchTool and BetterSnapTool as potential apps interfering with Spotify
  4. Switched off Hardware Acceleration, Crossfade Songs and logged in with another account
  5. Rebooted several times

Active Spotify Processes (copied from Activity Monitor)

Spotify – Spotify Helper – VTDecoderXPCService – Spotify Helper – Spotify Helper 

(I may try to obtain a process sample during the crash if requested)

I am looking forward to your ideas on how to solve the issue. Currently, I am not able to use Spotify on my Mac at all which is sad.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Robert

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

If you’re still experiencing this issue, let us know and we’ll look into it.

Thanks!

Comments
Pipe_gazzotto

Works fine on the other user, what can we do to make it work on the primary user?

rigti2012
Casual Listener

Hey everyone, dear @Daisy,

Thanks for keeping the topic alive. I'd like to sum this thread up.

I haven't found a solution to the problem. The client (ver. 1.1.2.285.ga97985ef) keeps crashing after 30 seconds no matter which preferences are set or Spotify account is logged in.

However, the client works in these cases:

1. Log into another Mac user account – Indeed this helped solve the problem and kept Spotify open. Unfortunately, this is no real solution to the issue and I am not tech-savvy enough to understand the Mac user management issue here. I guess Apple tech support would refer me to the developer, Spotify, in case of an inquiry.
  2. Downgrade your Spotify client – I installed an older version of Spotify (1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b) next to the recent client. And it works without a glitch – Hardware Acceleration etc. turned on. You can easily find older Spotify versions on Google.

I hope Spotify (re-)fixes the underlying issue in one of its next updates.

Best, 

Robert

Anjadekar
Regular

EDIT: For some reason this topic is incorrectly labelled as Solved and so I am starting another thread with the same post. Request the moderators to continue to look into this issue.

I have the same issue on my Mac (High Sierra 10.13.6 on a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro running Spotify 1.1.2.285.ga97985ef) except that for me the app crashes around the 1 minute 48 second mark. Strangely it used to crash earlier around the 2 minute 15 second mark. The crash time seems to be down to the second. 

I have clean installed the app a few times, added Spotify in the Security & Privacy > Accessibility list and also tried playing around with disabling Bartender 3, which I have installed, as a few people mentioned issues with menu bar managers, but to no avail.

For Spotify to direct users, especially paying, so-called Premium users, to Apple for this seems unacceptable. I hope that this issue is resolved at the earliest given the significant number of users facing it.

Here is a list of apps/services I have running in the background in case it is easier for the engineers to identify if any of them is causing this behavior.

• Bartender 3
  • Alfred 3
  • Hazel 4
  • Default Folder X
  • Moom
  • Dropbox
  • Backup and Sync from Google 
  • Google Drive File Stream
  • CrashPlan for Small Business
  • 1Password 6
  • Fantastical 2
  • TextExpander 5
  • NTFS for Mac
  • Monosnap
  • ToothFairy
  • Amphetamine
  • Anti-Social
  • CheatSheet

krystian_wos77

Plan

Premium

Country

Poland

Device

(Macbook Pro 2018)

Operating System

(Mac OS Mojave)

My Question or Issue

Hi, 

I turn my Desktop Spotify App and everything is ok. It can be open forever but when i log in to my account i have like 30 sec and then App close itself. In this 30 sec i can do everything.

I have got OS Mojave 10.14.4 and downloading newest Spotify app from Spotify page. 

I tryied to :

-log out and log in

-reinstall app without and with cleaning caches

Like a month ago i change my email address and password. It can be a reason and what to do? 

Bittencourt
Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

Hey @krystian_wos77, thanks for writing!

It sounds like some of the app files got corrupted somehow.

Since the normal moving to trash method is not working, my first suggestion is that you download this free app cleaner: 

http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

When you open up the app, click the search icon and search for Spotify and it will automatically find and delete all files on your computer related to Spotify.

After that, download and reinstall Spotify.

Note: after you reinstall make sure to go into the Spotify settings and redo your preferences

Peter

Hey folks,

Thanks for your reports and your patience on this.

This should now be fixed with the latest version of the desktop app (1.1.3)!

Could you make sure your desktop app is on this version?

Let us know if you're still having problems.

Thanks 🙂

krystian_wos77

Hi,

I clean my Macbook before and after reinstallation with program CleanMyMac X so it could be good but it isn't 😞 

carpathianUA
Regular

Hi!
Try to remove a Spotify from your login items and then but it back.
Go to Settings ->  Users & Groups -> Choose your user -> Login Items -> Click on Spotify -> '-' sign.
Then log out, log in again, add Spotify to your login items as described above, but click an add button and choose a Spotify from apps list.
Then log out and log in again.

Hope it will help!
Screenshot at Apr 02 18-31-57.png

Bittencourt
Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

Hey @krystian_wos77 I'm sorry about that.

Besides the suggestion above, you can also try going to System Preferences->Security/Privacy->Privacy->Accessibility->Unlock->Plus sign->Applications->Spotify->Done

Note that if also have BarRemote (mac app store) installed, you'll need to force quit that from Activity Monitor otherwise it will crash Spotify.

Hope this is more helpful 🙂

djgalo

installed 1.1.3 today and i still have the same problem,

i made a new install of macOS 10.12.6, downloaded the latest spotify installation file 1.1.3.259 and after 2 minutes of playing spotify crashes.

1.1.3.jpg