[Mac] Client crashes after 30 seconds

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

MacBook Pro (Mid-2012), 10.14.3 (all updates installed), Spotify 1.1.0.237.g378f6f25

My Question or Issue

Spotify always crashes 30 seconds after application start. No error, no warning, it simply quits whether a song is playing or the app is idle. The problem occurred under MacOS 10.13 from time to time but has been permanent since the last update to 10.14 a week ago.

Steps tried to solve the issue, yet no success

1. Updated and re-installed Spotify (according to official instructions deleting relevant Library folders), did all MacOS-related updates
  2. Added Spotify to Allowed Applications under Privacy > Accessibility and Privacy > Full Disk Access
  3. Quit BetterTouchTool and BetterSnapTool as potential apps interfering with Spotify
  4. Switched off Hardware Acceleration, Crossfade Songs and logged in with another account
  5. Rebooted several times

Active Spotify Processes (copied from Activity Monitor)

Spotify – Spotify Helper – VTDecoderXPCService – Spotify Helper – Spotify Helper 

(I may try to obtain a process sample during the crash if requested)

I am looking forward to your ideas on how to solve the issue. Currently, I am not able to use Spotify on my Mac at all which is sad.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Robert

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

If you’re still experiencing this issue, let us know and we’ll look into it.

Thanks!

Comments
krystian_wos77

Still nothing... Some more suggestions? 🙂 

Bittencourt
Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

Hey @krystian_wos77

Which Spotify version are you on right now?

krystian_wos77

Latest, downloading from official page. 

1.1.3.259.g8172f63a

TokPappan

Sorry, current version of Spotify is 1.1.3.259.g8172f63a and OS X 10.14.4. After starting Spotify it takes about 30-45 seconds before it just dies. No messages or errors at all. 

How about making some of the older versions available for download, if it doesn´t mess upp your service and gives us a functional spotyfy client i can´t see the problem. 

Katerina

Hey there @TokPappan@djgalo and @krystian_wos77,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and adding these details.

There's a newer version of the app available at the moment that should fix this. 

In this case, we'd recommend following the steps provided here to make sure you're rocking this newest version. 

If that doesn't do the trick, make sure to try a quick reinstall following the steps here.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

TokPappan

Alright, tried to be somewhat systematic this time.

1. Reinstall of ver. 1.1.4.197.g92d52c4f from within spotify, installs just fine but stops playing after 45 seconds and just dies with no errors. 

2. Made a clean reinstall using the instructions. And a restart. 

- Started the application without logging in, stable for over 5 minutes.

- Logged in, without playing anything. Stable for over 5 minutes.

- Started one of my playlists, the app died after 45 seconds.

- Started again, turned off hardware acceleration and restarted. Started playing and it worked for 5 minutes and 45 seconds, then died again. 

3. Created a new user account, started spotify and logged in using my account, it continues to play for over 20 minutes. 

4. Logged back in to my original user account and started spotify, it died after 1 minute 25 sec. 

So, something in my user profile or some application running in my user context is interfering with Spotify since a couple of versions ago. 

Any help on how i can chart out what differs the new user account from my own would be helpful i think. 

Peter

Hey @TokPappan.

Thanks for providing us with that detailed info.

We've passed it on and we will continue to look into it.

We'll let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Thanks!

krystian_wos77

Still same problem. 

Guido
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey all,

We're still receiving reports from users that the mac app is either not opening or crashing right after opening. If you are experiencing this issue after a quick reinstallation, hit +vote and leave a comment with the following:

• Spotify version
  • MacOS version

We will keep you up-to-date in this Ongoing Issue.

Thanks and have a nice day!

maggiedominguez

@Guido 

I’ve had this same problem, but with my iPhone app as well. My songs/podcast episodes will play for 5-10 seconds and then quit on me. I’ve resorted to making a new account (which worked), but I would like my original account fixed as it is the one with all of my history on it