Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac Desktop] Can't Play Current Song Error Message

Plan: Premium for Students

I have a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6. For about the past month I have been getting an error message when trying to play Spotify on my laptop. I will play a song and it will play the entire song except for the last two seconds. At that point it'll stop and I get an error message saying "Can't play current song." It will not progress to the next song until I hit the next button and then the whole thing will repeat. If I hit pause/play, nothing happens. The Spotify app on my phone is working totally fine.

I have tried restarting the application, logging out, restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling. Also, off of other suggestions, I have tried turning off autoplay and crossfading songs. I have tried looking for the Spotify cache history and haven't been able to find any (but that also might just be above my computer skills). 

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and providing all the relevant info. 

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are still looking into this, however, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix.

In the meantime, here are a few things you can try if you're experiencing this issue:

• Check out the solutions in this FAQ.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'd also recommend making sure you're always rocking the latest app and firmware versions available, so you don't miss any improvements coming your way.

Comments
ch8637

This happens to me multiple times a day, everyday and it's driving me nuts. It occurs randomly and I have to quit out of the app and open it up again for me to hear the audio. But sometimes that doesn't even work. I have tried doing a hard reinstall by deleting everything Spotify from Finder and then reinstalling the app, but that didn't work. PLEASE FIX THIS. I have had spotify for over 5 years, but I don't want to be paying for a service that continuously does not work.

I use Apple airpods to listen to Spotify.

I use an iMac (macOS Mojave, version 10.14.6) Spotify version 1.1.65.643.g2d707698-a.

Yourdadsbff

My Question or Issue

Hello, I'm frequently getting the message: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." It happens when I use my desktop app to listen to songs, albums, and podcasts. However, it DOESN'T happen if I try to play a song from another users playlist or my own playlists. I don't have this problem on my phone.

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

MacBook Pro 2019

Operating System

MacOs BigSur

Yavva

This happens to me multiple times a day too. I've sent around 10 mails to support and "Our best tech folks ar still looking into this". I use a bluetooth headphone, but this problem also appears without a headphone. No issues on iOS though, using the same connection. I've had Spotify for years, but if this can't be fixed within a reasonable timespan I'll have to switch to another service. It's driving me nuts.

I tried a clean install.

I tried a clean install in safe mode.

I tried playing in safe mode.

The problem persists.

Spotify Premium (family)

iMac 5k 27" 2017

MacOS Big Sur 11.5.2

Wired connection.

Mihail

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us. We've relayed all the info you've provided us with to the relevant team and they're looking into it.

To that end, we'd appreciate it if you specify whether or not this happens only when external speakers/headphones connected, if you haven't already. Also, are you able to play other media such as videos on YouTube or in your media player without issues?

Keep us posted. We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies. 

ch8637

To respond to your post @Mihail

I only use Apple Airpods since I'm in an office, so I'm not sure if this is a problem with external speakers as well. I sometimes will watch Youtube through Firefox, and have not had this issue watching videos at all. Thank you for looking into this!

Yavva
To that end, we'd appreciate it if you specify whether or not this happens only when external speakers/headphones connected, if you haven't already. Also, are you able to play other media such as videos on YouTube or in your media player without issues?

I have this problem with my headphones connected but also when I have no external headphones/speakers connected. I'm able to play other media at the same time as Spotify plays. After a few seconds Spotify stops playing and after a while shows the "Can't Play Current Song" error message. Al the while the stream in my browser from an online radiostation keeps on playing without any problems.

PleaseHelpUs

For a few months, Spotify won't play music when I'm online on my laptop even if the music is downloaded. Sometimes a few seconds will play or even an entire song but usually the "Can't play current song" message pops up pretty fast. I've tried restarting the app, redownloading the app and I made sure that there is plenty of storage on my laptop.

Please help me!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

MacOS Big Sur Version 11.5.2

Spotify for macOS (Intel)
1.1.68.628.geb44bd66

Yavva

A music streaming service which can't play songs... One would think this would be a high priority issue, but this topic started at 2020-07-16 and is still not resolved. Just one official status update from Spotify (with no date) and please VOTE or we won't fix this? The devs can't reproduce it? Contact me, you can use remote desktop to my Mac and enjoy this issue in its full glory.

MSLB6203

This is my 2nd comment, because, honestly, I'm getting annoyed that I am being charged to use a service that doesn't even work. I was playing my 'liked songs' list this morning. I got through 4 songs... then EVERY song after that played for 5-7 seconds and then stopped. Same message as everyone else appears. This is frustrating asf!

Xenia
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and providing all the relevant info. 

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are still looking into this, however, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix.

In the meantime, here are a few things you can try if you're experiencing this issue:

• Check out the solutions in this FAQ.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'd also recommend making sure you're always rocking the latest app and firmware versions available, so you don't miss any improvements coming your way.