Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac Desktop] Can't Play Current Song Error Message

Plan: Premium for Students

I have a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6. For about the past month I have been getting an error message when trying to play Spotify on my laptop. I will play a song and it will play the entire song except for the last two seconds. At that point it'll stop and I get an error message saying "Can't play current song." It will not progress to the next song until I hit the next button and then the whole thing will repeat. If I hit pause/play, nothing happens. The Spotify app on my phone is working totally fine.

I have tried restarting the application, logging out, restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling. Also, off of other suggestions, I have tried turning off autoplay and crossfading songs. I have tried looking for the Spotify cache history and haven't been able to find any (but that also might just be above my computer skills). 

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and providing all the relevant info. 

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are still looking into this, however, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix.

In the meantime, here are a few things you can try if you're experiencing this issue:

• Check out the solutions in this FAQ.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'd also recommend making sure you're always rocking the latest app and firmware versions available, so you don't miss any improvements coming your way.

Comments
8_i6z45-bnm8j
caluz78 This doesn't work for me but it's good if it still works for you, mines a macbook air 2017 with Sennheiser 4.50BTNCs
caluz78
Not always works.. Now i paired my Macbook with Galaxy Buds and
pause/resume with tap on the Buds often works...
M-C-M
Happens for me too, I use Bose QC35II's and I've tried everything to solve this.
matweller

Getting the same issue with Bose QC35 II headphones as well. Can't imagine they'll do anything about it - Spotify are astoundingly useless at fixing bugs and dumb stuff like this.

iMick
Same problem on macOS 10.15.5 with latest Spotify version, using Bose QC35 II headphones. Such an annoying bug since I am in audio calls all day, where I pause my music.
Cristianm87

Plan

Premium

Country

Tried in Argentina and Holland 

Device

Macbook Pro Mid 2014

Operating System

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57)

Speaker 

Jbl Charge 3 Bluetooth Connection

My Question or Issue

I get everytime when i pause the song and i play something on youtube or either when i play a voice message from Whatsapp (Whatsapp Web) and when i resume the song that i was playing on Spotify this message popup "Can't play the current song.". 

I already tried, re-installing Spotify and so on. The only way to solve this is re-starting the app Spotify. But is not very convenient ofcourse.

Ivan

Hey there @Cristianm87

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

If this issue persisted after performing a regular reinstall but gets temporarily solved by restarting the Spotify app it's worth trying a clean reinstall of the app on your MacBook. This way you can start afresh with Spotify on any device, making sure to avoid issues with the playback. 

Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall on the affected device. Once you’ve performed the clean reinstall you'll need to re-download your offline music and podcasts.     

In case the clean reinstall doesn't do the trick for you try logging in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

denizcitak

I'm using a 2019 MacBook Air and I've had this problem for months. I always have to restart the app to get it to work again. Never had this issue on my previous computer.

Cristianm87

Hello Ivan. I went through all the steps from the link that you shared to make a clean installation, and i updated my Mac Os before to re-install Spotify again. But unfortunately im having the exactly same problem as before, i was playing a song on Spotify then paused it, i watched a Youtube video for about 20 min or so, and then tried to resume the song that i was listening before and the same message pop up "Can't play the current song".

I tried with a wire connection to my speaker and seem to be no issue then.

So the issue only occur when it's connected through Bluetooth.

Im not an expert or nothing but seem to me that there is some sort of Spotify security bug or something when is on Bluetooth.

Anyway i hope the problem will be solve shortly.

If you think i can try to do something else by myself to fix the problem go ahead and let me know.

Cristianm87

Same here, im waiting a solution, its a known problem, pretty old one, its almost unreal that they didnt came with a solution yet... (see this thread )