Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac Desktop] Can't Play Current Song Error Message

Plan: Premium for Students

I have a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6. For about the past month I have been getting an error message when trying to play Spotify on my laptop. I will play a song and it will play the entire song except for the last two seconds. At that point it'll stop and I get an error message saying "Can't play current song." It will not progress to the next song until I hit the next button and then the whole thing will repeat. If I hit pause/play, nothing happens. The Spotify app on my phone is working totally fine.

I have tried restarting the application, logging out, restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling. Also, off of other suggestions, I have tried turning off autoplay and crossfading songs. I have tried looking for the Spotify cache history and haven't been able to find any (but that also might just be above my computer skills). 

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and providing all the relevant info. 

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are still looking into this, however, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix.

In the meantime, here are a few things you can try if you're experiencing this issue:

• Check out the solutions in this FAQ.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'd also recommend making sure you're always rocking the latest app and firmware versions available, so you don't miss any improvements coming your way.

Comments
Katerina

Hey there @f1b3_SW and @rdednl,

Thanks for sharing these details, we've passed them along to the right teams!

@f1b3_SW It would be helpful if you could also share the exact Spotify version you're on when this happens, as well as a timestamp that this last occurred for you (including a timezone).

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply, thanks again 🙂

pookeyblow

How do I downgrade? This is horrible.

olijtt

I've been having this issue for the past few months - almost* every single time I wake my MacBook on a morning I have to log out of Spotify and then log back in to get it to play.

* Once in a blue moon I will wake my Mac and the app plays fine, but this is a rare event.

Issue: I click play, no sound plays but the timeline advances as if the song was playing. About 10 seconds later I get a blue bar at the top with text "Can't play current song."

Every single song will fail to play.

If I restart the app it works, but it's tiresome to do this every morning.

Other apps and system sounds play fine.

Attempted resolutions:

I logged out, uninstalled the app and deleted any remaining folders in System and User "Application Support" folders where the folder name contained "Spotify".

I have applied Mac OS updated and Spotify app updates but the problem still persists.

Setup:

macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Spotify version 1.1.43.700.g20acee0f

I am playing sound from my Mac through a Thunderbolt cable to my monitor, which is then plugged into my amplifier via analogue 3.5mm jack (External sound device in monitor).

This bug is becoming tiresome.

Where can I find Spotify error log files?

I tried every single step described here... didn't work. I can not play anything.
Please help me to fix this ASAP.  My wife and I love Spotify, but if I can not get this fixed I'll have to cancel my plan.

MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

1.1.43.700.g20acee0f

PD. For paid customers, a community is a POOR way to find solutions. You need to improve this experience, it's terrible.

@Katerina 

stylusmariner

This issue has been going on for years! Every week or so I will try to play something on Spotify and the blue bar appears saying that Spotify is offline, or something to that effect. However, my macbook says I'm connected and my browser works. Only Spotify is offline, and if I restart Spotify it is online. I will also add that I never shutdown Spotify before I close my macbook. Probably if I always closed Spotify before closing my macbook this would not be an issue. But, every other program works fine. I am a paying customer. Please fix!!

Peter

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience - we'll still waiting to hear back from the right teams.

We'll make sure to let you know as soon as we have any more info on this.

Cheers!

Peachi

Yes ANOTHER spotify issue for me im SICK of this. Black screens, crackling local files. Dreaaadful slow search function, can't play next song issue, where you constantly have to hit replay because it stops.

Everything used to work fine until updates this year. Did clean install, nothing works, and now today THIS new issue. Seriously I'm sick of it. 

westerp2

Can this be a timeout issue? I'm experiencing this every morning and since I'm using a laptop I'm never rebooting so apps tend to run for months without startup. Every morning I get this annoyance and it gets fixed every day with a restart.

olijtt

@westerp2  restarting the app or your Mac? I only have to restart the app, but it’s very annoying.

thisisdumb

Happens to me regularly now. Fine on mobile.

Spotify version: 1.1.46.916.g416cacf1

Mac version: Catalina 10.15.7 (Core i3 with 16 GB memory)

Happened last (again): around 09:32 GMT day of this post (though this happens at least twice each song)

Steps to reproduce: Play any song

Steps tried: Clear out "~/Library/Application Support/Spotify" with clean install and reboot. Happens on my wife's account also.