Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac Desktop] Can't Play Current Song Error Message

Plan: Premium for Students

I have a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6. For about the past month I have been getting an error message when trying to play Spotify on my laptop. I will play a song and it will play the entire song except for the last two seconds. At that point it'll stop and I get an error message saying "Can't play current song." It will not progress to the next song until I hit the next button and then the whole thing will repeat. If I hit pause/play, nothing happens. The Spotify app on my phone is working totally fine.

I have tried restarting the application, logging out, restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling. Also, off of other suggestions, I have tried turning off autoplay and crossfading songs. I have tried looking for the Spotify cache history and haven't been able to find any (but that also might just be above my computer skills). 

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and providing all the relevant info. 

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are still looking into this, however, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix.

In the meantime, here are a few things you can try if you're experiencing this issue:

• Check out the solutions in this FAQ.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'd also recommend making sure you're always rocking the latest app and firmware versions available, so you don't miss any improvements coming your way.

Comments
JokerDan

@Alex_Clare Are you using Cloudflare DNS? I was having this issue due to using 1.1.1.1 as my DNS, changing to Google's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 sovled the issue for me on Windows.

Alex_Clare

@JokerDan I have tried CloudFlare DNS, OpenDNS, Google DNS and It still happen.

FalconFour

Just chiming in here to report a happy success... here is my info anyway:

- MacBook Air (13", Mid 2013), macOS Big Sur 11.4

- Spotify version 1.1.57.443.ga029a6c4-a

- Just trying to play on the built-in speakers

- I hadn't played Spotify on this machine in a while, so not sure if it can be considered "repeatable".

I found my way over to this thread when I would click a song and absolutely nothing would happen - not a peep, in a quiet room. I went around, checked my audio device options (internal speakers: check. volume up: check. plays test tones: check!). Still couldn't get a peep out of Spotify.

The solution...? Spotify's volume control was all the way down.

This dumb little thing in the corner of the window:

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 11.52.02 AM.png

It was one notch above showing the "muted" icon.

I definitely didn't do that, I would have no reason to (I hate application-local volume controls - they're unnecessary and redundant). I'm also not suffering from any of the symptoms of a hacked/botted Spotify account (see: The Dark Side of Spotify ), e.g. I've not got "recent" stuff I didn't listen to myself. Maybe Spotify takes an external volume control from somewhere? I've got my Spotify used in various different places including the car (itself, not Bluetooth), so... maybe one of these integrations is being naughty.

Would be interesting to know if others had this same issue of Spotify's volume simply being set to (near) zero...

picard102

Unless you saw a notification telling you that you couldn't play this song, this is not the same issue we're having. 

rafiqkhan87

Once in a while my Spotify on Mac laptop will stop working, showing up this blue banner saying "Can't play the current song".

I reinstalled Spotify but it didn't work. unionwells france

I also found this thread  with multiple suggestions, none of which worked.

So I have to turn to StackExchange geeks. Anyone know some commands or codes to fix this?

Shmele

The device(s) (make, model & OS) this is happening on

MacBookPro 15, 2017. Macos Mojave 10.14.6.

The exact Spotify version

1.1.63.568.gda8cb5ac-a

Do you have headphones or external speakers connected (Bluetooth/wired)?

Bluetooth.

Is the behavior always the same?

Always the same.

Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?

It happens almost every day, so I think I can recreate.

What troubleshooting steps have you tried (eg. changing networks, turning off Proxy or VPN, restarting your device, setting the app Offline, checked the firewall, etc)?

Rebooting, of course. Clear reinstall Spotify.

PenelopeW96
  • HP laptop
  • Spotify Premium Duo
  • Always at 6 seconds the song will stop and say it can't play current song
  • Any song from playlists/searched/offline all do the same
  • tried restarting the laptop, uninstalling spotify and restarting
  • it works on the app on my phone fine
  • it was working earlier today however i clicked to play the next song and now none are working??
toddbmay

Same issue today

John_Mathis

helpme37 I find the problem to be transient. Clicking on a song and fiddling with playlists can cause the app to fail.

do you use the "sort by" feature already on the spotify app? If the CPU or hard drive, memory etc... is too small then change it out

SharniAlberni

MacBook Air 13inch

Version: 1.1.63.568.gda8cb5ac

Using built in speakers.

Always the same, it usually lets me play every second song but will always stop the first song at 4 to 6 seconds.

It happens anytime I use the desktop app so I can recreate.

I have tried pretty much every suggestion I can find.