Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac Desktop] Can't Play Current Song Error Message

Plan: Premium for Students

I have a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6. For about the past month I have been getting an error message when trying to play Spotify on my laptop. I will play a song and it will play the entire song except for the last two seconds. At that point it'll stop and I get an error message saying "Can't play current song." It will not progress to the next song until I hit the next button and then the whole thing will repeat. If I hit pause/play, nothing happens. The Spotify app on my phone is working totally fine.

I have tried restarting the application, logging out, restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling. Also, off of other suggestions, I have tried turning off autoplay and crossfading songs. I have tried looking for the Spotify cache history and haven't been able to find any (but that also might just be above my computer skills). 

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and providing all the relevant info. 

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are still looking into this, however, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix.

In the meantime, here are a few things you can try if you're experiencing this issue:

• Check out the solutions in this FAQ.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'd also recommend making sure you're always rocking the latest app and firmware versions available, so you don't miss any improvements coming your way.

Comments
lilypittman

This issue has been causing me extreme frustration when listening to ANY and ALL Spotify music on my Mac desktop. 

I have tried all of the recommended tips.

I have tried resetting crossfade to 0. Turning off crossfade. Turning off hardware acceleration. Clearing the cache. Restarting my computer. Updating my computer. Reinstalling the Spotify app. 

If any of these tactics have worked, it's only been a temporary relief, and the error message has reappeared soon afterwards. 

The issue also seems to be worsening over time: it used to be bearable, with the "can't play current song" message only interrupting my listening every 30 minutes or so, and just skipping to the next song would resume my music. 

Now, it's unbearable. I start a playlist only for the second song to stop playing 10 seconds in, showing the error message. I skip it and the next one plays for 13 seconds and stops with the error message. I skip that one too, and maybe it plays an entire song or two with no interruption (ah, the luxury). The error interrupts my desktop listening so frequently nowadays that I usually end up quitting Spotify in irritation.

It's to the point where I'd rather listen to silence than have to constantly attend to my dysfunctional Spotify desktop app. 

picard102

It might be time to cancel your spotify premium and switch back to iTunes. This doesn't seem like it's ever going to be addressed.

chattateo

This is so frustrating. The only solution I've found is that it will play songs after I "like" them, which is not exactly frustrating. I'd have thought they would have fixed this by now.

denisecampos

Been experiencing some trouble playing music that's already been downloaded since the new Spotify for Mac update. I'm lucky I get past one whole song. This is an issue with or without using bluetooth earphones.

• Spotify Version: 1.1.56.595.g2d2da0de-a
  • Apple Macbook Air 13" 2017 running on Big Sur
  • 02:20AM GMT +8 16 April 2021
  • I've force quit the app, restarted my laptop, re-paired my earphones, etc. and it's still the same. Be it connected on bluetooth earphones or not.

I've literally done everything, even uninstalling and reinstalling the app, etc. Spotify on my Samsung Galaxy S20+ and Samsung Galaxy S10 works just fine. Ugh this is so frustrating. Please fix this 

polatugurcan

I have the same exact issue. Reinstalling the Spotify app did not help. 

Spotify version: 1.1.57.443.ga029a6c4-a

macOS version: 11.2.3 Big Sur

carolallen

Exact Spotify version

1.1.57.443.ga029a6c4 (Microsoft Store version)

Device (make + model) + OS version

Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 OS Build 18363.1500

Time & date the issue last happened (include timezone)

09:56 (GMT+1)

10:33 (GMT+1)

10:45 (GMT+1)

10:46 (GMT+1)

10:48 (GMT+1)

10:49 (GMT+1)

Exact steps to reproduce the issue

Open Spotify. Play any song. (NB: Fault not yet replicated on downloaded songs.)

Troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

Fault replicated on Web Player.

Logged out and back into Spotify.

Checked for most recent Spotify update (true).

Restarted laptop.

Uninstalled Spotify and reinstalled via Microsoft store.

Checked for most recent OS updates (true, though it’s Windows so presumably that won’t last long).

Checked Spotify community forums without success.

Searched on Google using error message and exact Spotify version. This was the only fault logged.

pincombe

I've got the same problem. Been online with support for a good 5-6 hours over the past month trying to get it resolved. 

The only thing i've found that fixes the problem is changing the audio quality setting to low. Typically I listen on very high and have been listening on the highest settings for years now without any problems. Not even normal works the quality on low is garbage but its at least enough to get by on. 

So far no one has offered to refund my wasted month even though I've been a paying subscriber for 12 years.

chattateo

I continue to have problems playing songs on Spotify on my Mac. This has been going on for months now. I've found that if I click the heart to "like" a song it will usually then play, but I shouldn't have to like every song in order to play it, especially as a paying subscriber. Starting to think about whether or not I should switch to Apple Music.

blvckvv

Spotify developers are so overwhelmingly stupid and/or incompetent. They can't even develop a basic desktop app! Hahahaha! Shove your web app where the sun don't shine. If I wanted to use that garbage I would buy a garbage chromebook. It is truly mindblowing how bad they are at providing any kind of support at all. You'd guess that considering Spotify pays artists less than every other streaming service that they would have more resources to put into Support, right? Hah! Not these scumbags.

ines4444

macOS Big Sur 11.1 (20C69)

I'm having for many weeks the exact same problem. I have Spotify Premium and i'm unable to use it. 

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall safely the Spotify app on my mac (version 1.1.58.820.g2ae50076-a) multiple times, I've tried to log out and log in multiple times, and I've checked the hosts multiple times too, but it has nothing written about Spotify on it. Nothing plays, unless I'm using the Spotify Web Player. I also tried to log in my account on my friend's macbook, and it was working well. 

For some days I had "NaN:NaN" written on the play bar instead of "00:00", but now I don't have it anymore, but everything is still not working. On my android, I had troubles too, at the same time I had on my Mac. I was trying to solve both problems, and on my phone I think I did something that worked, but not completely, because sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't, appearing the "No Internet Connection" problem.

Hope someone can help me, it has been really frustrating.