Lineup Signup
Help Us Fix Metadata - Read more

Major I/O write bytes on the Spotify Desktop app. It will kill SSD drives in record time (fixed)

EDIT: According to Spotify this issue has been fixed in the 1.0.42 version so the case has been closed. Personally I have no more issues with this anymore on any computer. Thanks everyone for making this happen !!!

original post:
Major disk write activity detected on the Windows/Mac app. Does not behave like that when using the browser player.

Please look into this thread, more details there:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Spotify-killing-my-SSD/m-p/1365378

Attached readouts from a Win7/64 PC during one hour and ten minutes. No offline playlist syncs and zero songs were played during that hour, only the spotify app tray active in background!

No disk drive, SSD or standard HDD can take that rate for a long period of time.

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE ASAP OR BE THE NEXT SAMSUNG NOTE !!!

temp.jpg
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. As some of you have noted, the prior version of the Spotify desktop client may sometimes have caused unnecessary data to be written to storage devices. This issue has been fixed in the current version of the desktop client (1.0.42), released November 11th, and rolled out to all our users. If you try to run an older version, you will see it automatically restart and update to the new version shortly after you log in.

If for some reason you should encounter problems with the auto update, just follow these steps to perform a full reinstall.

If you're running a deprecated OS (Windows XP, Vista; OS X 10.7, 10.8), don't worry. A fix has automatically been rolled out to you too. To ensure you're running this version, just close/reopen the desktop app twice.

Again, we greatly appreciate your help here, and hope that you will continue to flag issues for us when they arise.

Related Issues

Comments
diogop
Regular

Same issue. About every 5 minutes or so, the application writes around 250MB to the SSD.

Running Spotify version 1.0.41.375.g040056ca on macOS Sierra 10.12.1

diogop
Regular

Just reinstalled the whole application. Right now the situation seems to have improved! Will report back after a few hours of usage. Maybe something got corrupted during an update or so.... just guessing!

enigmaxg2
Regular

The problem relies on the use of the Libcef (embedded Chrome engine) which Spotify uses (which also explains why it is so inefficient with it's resource usage on desktop)

Well, this is gonna be a giant text wall, but is a recommended reading if you want to keep a healthy SSD (and even HDD).

First Firefox was discovered doing this: source, then I asked the guys there to do a test with other browsers, and as I expected, ALL of them are doing the same. But only Firefox has a way to mitigate the problem.

Now it comes the part related to this thread, Spotify (among others) uses Libcef.dll to render web content, what's libcef? it's an embedded Chrome engine and as you probably guess, it has the same -uncorrectable for now- issue as the browser.

The problem extends even more when a huge list of software uses this library to render web content, so if you have one or more of these programs in your computer (and I'm sure you have), they add up and probably will reduce the drive lifespan a lot.

The only solution for now is that Chrome devs become aware of the problem and push an update to both the browser and standalone engine then app developers integrate the new libcef ASAP. Or when possible, use alternative programs which don't rely on libcef.

This is the list I personally gathered which use LIBCEF, this doesn't mean all of them have this behavior, that will be proven or debunked until further testing is done (the confirmed ones are in bold), I think there a lot more apps and programs which do this.

• Chrome (and derivatives) duh!
  • Spotify
  • Whats App Desktop
  • Steam
  • uPlay
  • GoG Galaxy
  • Facebook Gameroom
  • AutoCAD
  • Nvidia GeForce Experience
  • Marvel Heroes
  • GitHub Desktop
firef
Roadie

enigmaxg2 wrote:

The problem relies on the use of the Libcef (embedded Chrome engine) which Spotify uses (which also explains why it is so inefficient with it's resource usage on desktop)

Well, this is gonna be a giant text wall, but is a recommended reading if you want to keep a healthy SSD (and even HDD).

First Firefox was discovered doing this: source, then I asked the guys there to do a test with other browsers, and as I expected, ALL of them are doing the same. But only Firefox has a way to mitigate the problem.

Now it comes the part related to this thread, Spotify (among others) uses Libcef.dll to render web content, what's libcef? it's an embedded Chrome engine and as you probably guess, it has the same -uncorrectable for now- issue as the browser.

The problem extends even more when a huge list of software uses this library to render web content, so if you have one or more of these programs in your computer (and I'm sure you have), they add up and probably will reduce the drive lifespan a lot.

The only solution for now is that Chrome devs become aware of the problem and push an update to both the browser and standalone engine then app developers integrate the new libcef ASAP. Or when possible, use alternative programs which don't rely on libcef.

This is the list I personally gathered which use LIBCEF, this doesn't mean all of them have this behavior, that will be proven or debunked until further testing is done (the confirmed ones are in bold), I think there a lot more apps and programs which do this.

• Chrome (and derivatives) duh!
  • Spotify
  • Whats App Desktop
  • Steam
  • uPlay
  • GoG Galaxy
  • Facebook Gameroom
  • AutoCAD
  • Nvidia GeForce Experience
  • Marvel Heroes
  • GitHub Desktop

I have many of those programs you listed and none of them even approach Spotify in disk writes. Yes, if I leave like 20 tabs open in Chrome for a day it will write a few GBs but Spotify is writing well over 100GB in less than a day just streaming music. While they all may suffer from the same issue, Spotify seems to be the top offender and of course, the folks at Spotify are saying nothing.

mhartel
Regular

25 GB in 2.5hrs of streaming on OSX. This must be fixed asap!!!

rastam
Regular

Do the Android and iOS Spotify apps show the same behavior?

mathieudelvaux
Regular

Probably not. It seems the issue comes from a Chromium component, which is used in the desktop clients only.

juliohm1978
Concert Regular

Hats off to enigmaxg2 for providing a very insightful explanation.

If this is a problem brought on by third party libs, we might be headed to a long term problem with difficult workarounds.

I hope Spotify dev team can mitigate this some way or another, but an issue with the embedded chrome engine could be much broader than Spotify users listening to music. If this is the case, just by using browsers like Chrome or Firefox could seriously affect your HD/SSD lifespan.

Afevis
Regular

One way to mitigate this issue immediatley is to make a symbolic link from your spotify cache folder to a HDD. 

Here's a handy little app that makes it easy to do;

https://github.com/charlesmilette/MUI.Themes.Symlinker

Start as admin, click folder up top, and set Original folder to your HDD, and the symbolic link to your SSD.

example;

Original (where you want the data written);

G:\z-Working\Spotify

Symbolic Link (the SSD):

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Spotify

Here's I/O after making the symlink (mind you it's also downloading files in the image, but it also redirects the major offending files as well.)

http://imgur.com/a/O4fU8

While yes, the client offers the ability to change your cache/storage location, it doesn't actually relocate any of the actual cache files, and only changes where your downloaded music is saved to instead.

From what I'm seeing, it looks like most of the idle writes are to the mercury.db file, and while streaming music it writes to the Data folder as well; both of which are always left behind in your appdata/local/spotify folder regardless of where you set your cache, making the symlink necessary for now.

orson_welles
Regular

This is okay loop-hole for time being for people with HDDs. For those of us on machines without HDD's this does not seem to be a valid option.