Major I/O write bytes on the Spotify Desktop app. It will kill SSD drives in record time (fixed)

EDIT: According to Spotify this issue has been fixed in the 1.0.42 version so the case has been closed. Personally I have no more issues with this anymore on any computer. Thanks everyone for making this happen !!!

original post:
Major disk write activity detected on the Windows/Mac app. Does not behave like that when using the browser player.

Please look into this thread, more details there:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Spotify-killing-my-SSD/m-p/1365378

Attached readouts from a Win7/64 PC during one hour and ten minutes. No offline playlist syncs and zero songs were played during that hour, only the spotify app tray active in background!

No disk drive, SSD or standard HDD can take that rate for a long period of time.

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE ASAP OR BE THE NEXT SAMSUNG NOTE !!!

temp.jpg
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. As some of you have noted, the prior version of the Spotify desktop client may sometimes have caused unnecessary data to be written to storage devices. This issue has been fixed in the current version of the desktop client (1.0.42), released November 11th, and rolled out to all our users. If you try to run an older version, you will see it automatically restart and update to the new version shortly after you log in.

If for some reason you should encounter problems with the auto update, just follow these steps to perform a full reinstall.

If you're running a deprecated OS (Windows XP, Vista; OS X 10.7, 10.8), don't worry. A fix has automatically been rolled out to you too. To ensure you're running this version, just close/reopen the desktop app twice.

Again, we greatly appreciate your help here, and hope that you will continue to flag issues for us when they arise.
Comments
asalceanu

I've downloaded the latest version from the website - it is 1.0.42.xxx and I can confirm that the write issue has been addressed. 

Mine stopped at around 250 MB of writes. 

So make sure you have this version - and also keep an eye that it doesn't "update" itself to 1.0.41 like some users have reported. 

@Chris__s why are you so freaking eager to close this thread? Shouldn't your main concern be your customers - making sure the problem is solved and help them through the update? 

nugatu

But there is something strange .. I did not shut Spotify down - still idle - but, my counter of written data started from 0 .. maybe something like "process kill & re-start" for just hidding this issue? 

Running latest version

chartz2

I do have 1.0.42 installed. Still writing stupid data. 

kebal2

ok for me this is how it behaves: if the application window is open the application starts writing data, but if i minimize the application everything is back in order.

Windows 10, Spotify ver.:1.0.42.151.g19de0aa6

toineenzo
Casual Listener

This is what I get know. I never really experienced any read/write error/issues whith spotify, but I notice that it really takes some CPU when STARTING (not maximizing) spotify. It loads for a while and the UI jumps around. Version: 1.0.42.151.g19de0aa6, windows 10 home specs.

CPU/Processor: Intel i5 4690k (Boxed Edition, 1150 socket @ 3.5GHz)
CPU Watercooler: Corsair Hydro H80i
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3, 16GB 2133-11 XMP-Beast
GPU/Videocard: MSI GTX970 (NVIDIA GeForce, 3,5+0,5GB)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z97x-GAMING3 (G1 Series)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVOBasic (250GB, OS and Frequent used programs)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Desktop HDD ST2000DM001 (2TB, for gams xdd)
PSU/Power Supply: Corsair CX550M

when minimized > from taskbar maximized: reads 2.000.000 bytes (peak)

starts writing like 15.000 bytes/second
other bytes are never really active
1.500 read edits and 2.000 write edits per maximization

spotifyw-r.png

marcingil

Now I know why I had to replace my SSD 2 months ago. Thank you Spotify.

simistef

my SSD from the iMac is in waranty process as we speak...now i know why this happened !

obfuscurity

Class action suit, anyone?

Yocairo
Casual Listener

@smartins can you tell me how you checked the total bytes written on Samsung 850 Evo?

dr_barnowl

@Yocairo: it'll be via the SMART data.

The "Disks" tool on Ubuntu provides a means of viewing it (select the disk and use the burger menu to view it).

Not sure how you do it on Mac or Windows though. I hear Windows Reliability Monitor may reveal SMART data on Windows 10.