Major I/O write bytes on the Spotify Desktop app. It will kill SSD drives in record time (fixed)

EDIT: According to Spotify this issue has been fixed in the 1.0.42 version so the case has been closed. Personally I have no more issues with this anymore on any computer. Thanks everyone for making this happen !!!

original post:
Major disk write activity detected on the Windows/Mac app. Does not behave like that when using the browser player.

Please look into this thread, more details there:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Spotify-killing-my-SSD/m-p/1365378

Attached readouts from a Win7/64 PC during one hour and ten minutes. No offline playlist syncs and zero songs were played during that hour, only the spotify app tray active in background!

No disk drive, SSD or standard HDD can take that rate for a long period of time.

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE ASAP OR BE THE NEXT SAMSUNG NOTE !!!

temp.jpg
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. As some of you have noted, the prior version of the Spotify desktop client may sometimes have caused unnecessary data to be written to storage devices. This issue has been fixed in the current version of the desktop client (1.0.42), released November 11th, and rolled out to all our users. If you try to run an older version, you will see it automatically restart and update to the new version shortly after you log in.

If for some reason you should encounter problems with the auto update, just follow these steps to perform a full reinstall.

If you're running a deprecated OS (Windows XP, Vista; OS X 10.7, 10.8), don't worry. A fix has automatically been rolled out to you too. To ensure you're running this version, just close/reopen the desktop app twice.

Again, we greatly appreciate your help here, and hope that you will continue to flag issues for us when they arise.
Comments
BroodjeAap
As I also said earlier, the problem in my case (windows 10 10.42) also resolved the issue in around 2 hours, "only" 225mb written.
Arkanius

Do you know if there is any changelog for this version?

In my opinion they can´t just stealh update this big issue without any statement at all.

Peecha

It seems better in 1.0.42.151.g19de0aa6

17 songs, ~50 minutes: 303MB written / 90MB read

mklasson

@Arkanius wrote:

Do you know if there is any changelog for this version?

In my opinion they can´t just stealh update this big issue without any statement at all.

I strongly agree. Their comment "We've seen some questions in our Community around the amount of written data using the Spotify client on desktop. These have been reviewed and any potential concerns have now been addressed in version 1.0.42, currently rolling out to all users." is pitifully vague.

They're not even owning up to seriously screwing with our drives for 4+ months. "Any potential concerns" just smacks of arrogance. The least they can do after ignoring the problem and their users for so long is to provide a breakdown of what the problem was and how they've fixed it, along with some semblance of a sincere apology.

It appears the only reason they bothered to fix this at all is that it was starting to get some serious media attention.

sywesk
Casual Listener

@mklasson I couldn't have said better.

zequinh
  PID  PRIO  USER     DISK READ DISK WRITE>  SWAPIN      IO    COMMAND                                  
17850 be/4 zequinh     24.00 K     99.44 M  0.00 %  0.00 % spotify

the result of listening to non-cache songs with version 1.0.42.151.g19de0aa6 on linux for 30minutes.

I also aggree on @Arkanius and @mklasson comments. Better admiting and apologizing now than never.

gerardolm

[...]

davidfurlong

i am cancelling my subscription in response to this risk. 

Greg111
Regular

The usage is slightly higher with non-cached music. Linux, version 1.0.42 after around 10 minutes playing: 

6254 be/4 rechner 13.10 M 16.51 M 0.00 % 0.00 % spotify

But that's OK. 

Jokify

Also canceled my subscription. To whom can i send the bill for my ssd?