Major I/O write bytes on the Spotify Desktop app. It will kill SSD drives in record time (fixed)

EDIT: According to Spotify this issue has been fixed in the 1.0.42 version so the case has been closed. Personally I have no more issues with this anymore on any computer. Thanks everyone for making this happen !!!

original post:
Major disk write activity detected on the Windows/Mac app. Does not behave like that when using the browser player.

Please look into this thread, more details there:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Spotify-killing-my-SSD/m-p/1365378

Attached readouts from a Win7/64 PC during one hour and ten minutes. No offline playlist syncs and zero songs were played during that hour, only the spotify app tray active in background!

No disk drive, SSD or standard HDD can take that rate for a long period of time.

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE ASAP OR BE THE NEXT SAMSUNG NOTE !!!

temp.jpg
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. As some of you have noted, the prior version of the Spotify desktop client may sometimes have caused unnecessary data to be written to storage devices. This issue has been fixed in the current version of the desktop client (1.0.42), released November 11th, and rolled out to all our users. If you try to run an older version, you will see it automatically restart and update to the new version shortly after you log in.

If for some reason you should encounter problems with the auto update, just follow these steps to perform a full reinstall.

If you're running a deprecated OS (Windows XP, Vista; OS X 10.7, 10.8), don't worry. A fix has automatically been rolled out to you too. To ensure you're running this version, just close/reopen the desktop app twice.

Again, we greatly appreciate your help here, and hope that you will continue to flag issues for us when they arise.

Related Issues

Comments
chunnnn
Regular

1.0.41.375.g040056ca here. Over 100GB written to my SSD since I turned my PC on 12 hrs ago, holy cow. I did not even notice until I saw this bug report...

williamle8300

A few years ago, my laptop crashed. I remember Spotify always being "funky" and constantly requiring a force quit. I still love Spotify, but not enough to risk having to reformat my disk again.

Now I just use their web player: https://play.spotify.com/collection/albums. It's not as rich of a user experience, but all of the functionality is there. I have no complaints about their iOS app.

Yocairo
Casual Listener

Yes, seems everyone will have this problem. I'm using the web version until a fix is presented.

barracuda317

I have done the junction. Is it correct, that in Windows Explorer the data is visible for C:-Drive and Ramdisk, too? Seems like it is stored twice.

sywesk
Casual Listener

This is normal, it's like having a shortcut to a folder. It's not stored twice don't worry :) If you don't trust me, i suggest you to read a bit about symblic links.

Here is a nice link : https://www.nixtutor.com/freebsd/understanding-symbolic-links/

I'm writing a really long blog post about this issue, and will give you the link once it looks nice to me, it explains everything you need to know about what's happening :)

highlight

Same here on my Macbook. Just reinstalled the App but still got the same Problem.

2,5 GB in less than an hour. Fix this please.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-10 um 00.14.48.png
Tigerchen

Spotify has written 10% (7 TERRABYTE) of the TBW (Total Bytes Written) on my SSD, in just a couple of Days. Before it was just 2%. I hope Spotify will pay for the Damage they did on my SSD. Otherwise i will spray that News all over the Internet to prevent People loosing their Data and get damaged Hardware due to Spotify. Its Time for Spotify to rewrite their App.

sywesk
Casual Listener

This is the article I wrote about the problem. If you find it incomplete or there's something wrong, just tell me, i'll update it. It kinds of summarize all the things i could read, and come up with about this subject.

http://blog.scaleprocess.net/spotify-heavy-io-problem/

willlllllll

Is Spotify also vacuuming the **bleep** out of sqlite on mobile also? Is there anyway to find out wihout rooting?

sywesk
Casual Listener

To be honest that's a question I asked myself, and I'm too afraid to know .. That's the reason why i'm not using spotify that much anymore. I'm afraid he was the culprit who blew up the flash on my old galaxy note 2 :\ But let's not make quick assumptions. 

Does anyone have a rooted phone and may have a look at it ?