Major I/O write bytes on the Spotify Desktop app. It will kill SSD drives in record time (fixed)

EDIT: According to Spotify this issue has been fixed in the 1.0.42 version so the case has been closed. Personally I have no more issues with this anymore on any computer. Thanks everyone for making this happen !!!

original post:
Major disk write activity detected on the Windows/Mac app. Does not behave like that when using the browser player.

Please look into this thread, more details there:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Spotify-killing-my-SSD/m-p/1365378

Attached readouts from a Win7/64 PC during one hour and ten minutes. No offline playlist syncs and zero songs were played during that hour, only the spotify app tray active in background!

No disk drive, SSD or standard HDD can take that rate for a long period of time.

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE ASAP OR BE THE NEXT SAMSUNG NOTE !!!

temp.jpg
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. As some of you have noted, the prior version of the Spotify desktop client may sometimes have caused unnecessary data to be written to storage devices. This issue has been fixed in the current version of the desktop client (1.0.42), released November 11th, and rolled out to all our users. If you try to run an older version, you will see it automatically restart and update to the new version shortly after you log in.

If for some reason you should encounter problems with the auto update, just follow these steps to perform a full reinstall.

If you're running a deprecated OS (Windows XP, Vista; OS X 10.7, 10.8), don't worry. A fix has automatically been rolled out to you too. To ensure you're running this version, just close/reopen the desktop app twice.

Again, we greatly appreciate your help here, and hope that you will continue to flag issues for us when they arise.
Comments
MinionMan74
Casual Listener
Re-installing wont help. I have the build 1.0.41.375.g040056ca on 3 differenct computers. I highly doubt that they all got the same bug.
razodactyl

Experiencing this issue as well. Hopefully it's fixed sometime soon.

spotify.png
firef
Regular

@MinionMan74 wrote:

Just use the browser version until this is fixed. And make sure you dont have the desktop app running in the background of your PC/MAC. Or use your phone/tablet, this issue wont affect them.

I reported the bug in the issues:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Major-I-O-write-bytes-on-the-Windows-app-It-will-kil...

You might want to go there and update your post or else they'll just lock it...they seem to be ignoring this thread with everyone's complaints.

sywesk
Casual Listener

1.0.41.375.g040056ca for me too.
Reinstalling won't help. The file that is being written all time is mercury.db if this helps.

sywesk
Casual Listener

thanks for quoting the link, went there to support the issue.

zeroxxx
Gig Goer

Everybody is running that build you pushed to us, no need to ask the version number again because it's all the same.

Reinstalling has no effect.

Now fix this darned mess!

mklasson

1.0.41.375.g040056ca here as well. But I've noticed the problem for months and I'm sure the latest spotify version hasn't been around that long.

turtiain

Running also 1.0.41.375.g040056ca here on MacBook Pro with macOS Sierra and I have the same problem. I think potentially destroying users SSD:s should be the highest priority bug.

neverhood
Casual Listener

Running 1.0.32.96.g3c8a06e6 on MacBook Pro macOS Sierra. I've rebooted and Spotify was sitting idle, not playing anything and the amount of data written in 3 hours is ~7GB. 

spdaly

I have had similar results as others in this thread.  I have reinstalled as well.  No change.