Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Media Overlay keeps reappearing

Media Overlay keeps reappearing

Me and many other people that I have seen on the Community have been faced with the same bug: the 'Show desktop overlay while using media keys' option on Spotify isn't working correctly. When I open Spotify, the client acts as if the option is checked, but in Preferences it is unchecked. Enabling and disabling the setting turns it off for that session, but upon closing and opening Spotify, the media overlay turns on again.

66 Replies

I have exactly the same behavior. Added a screenshot of this bug below.

SpotifyOverlayBug.png

Agreed. Please fix this, it's very irritating.

Hey @Jollof, @gb79a and @didii2311, welcome to the Spotify Community!

Could you let us know which Spotify version you're currently using? Also, did this start happening after a specific update or event?

You could try a clean reinstall with these steps to see if it makes any difference.

If you’re having this issue, be sure to click +VOTE at the top of this thread.

I'm currently on 1.0.84.344.gfc674f6f and I've not had the issue for at least a few days, although I'm not really sure if it stopped with my most recent update which I believe was around 4 or 5 days ago. I had re-installed a few times for unrelated reasons so I don't think that solves it. Fingers crossed it stays that way 🙂

I also don't recall a certain event/update triggering it but it had been a while so my memory could be a bit hazy.

I cannot tell you when it started happening. Version: 1.0.83.318.g6c07039d has the issue for me.

I now did a fresh reïnstall (standalone client, not from Windows store) and the issue seems to be resolved. Current version that is now on my machine installed: 1.0.84.344.gfc674f6f.

Hey @Jollof and @didii2311, that's awesome news!

We're glad everything worked out for you.  We're still waiting on an update from @gb79a, how's everything on your end?

Hope to hear from you soon 🙂

Hey guys,

We see a few people voted. Could you please send us over the following so we can look into this?

What device(s) this happens on

OS and version

Spotify version

Thanks!

Hey @Jollof@gb79a and @didii2311,

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, we need the following to proceed with the investigation:

• What device(s) this happens on
  • OS and version
  • Spotify version

This also applies for everyone else who are experiencing this.

Thanks! 🙂

Hi @Jemi,

The issue has been resolved on my device.

Hey there everyone!

We haven't heard any updates in a while so we're moving this back to the Help boards.

However, if you're still having troubles, make sure to leave a comment and we'll be happy to look into this.

@Jollof Thanks for letting us know that everything is working as it should now! 

/K

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

The problem was fixed in version 1.0.84.344.gfc674f6f but yesterday, since I updated to version 1.0.93.242.gc2341a27 it has been happening again. For the sake of what is Holy, fix this **bleep** bug at some point.

I have the same bug, even if I disable it in the settings, it shows up again when i restart spotify, have to disable it everytime. Software version is 1.0.93.242.gc2341a27

As others have said, the problem has reappeared, I am on version 1.0.93.242.gc2341a27

Hey there @Jollof, @user-removed and @ntgism,

Thanks for keeping us up to speed. 

We'd first suggest performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps below:

1. Open Spotify and click File in the menu bar. Select Exit.
  2. Click the Start button. Select Settings.
  3. Open System.
  4. Click Apps & features, then select Spotify.
  5. Click Uninstall. Click Uninstall again in the pop-up to confirm.
  6. Make sure to head here and remove all offline devices.
  7. On the Start search bar, type %AppData% and hit enter. This should open up AppData\Roaming.
  8. In the new window that opens up make sure there's no Spotify folder showing up. If there is, you can delete it.
  9. Make sure that there is no Spotify folder left in AppData\Local as well.
  10. Download and install Spotify from the Windows Apps store.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Yes, that may work but I suspect that you understand that's not a good practice, right? Having to reinstall every-now and then. And what you described is a complete hassle. I'd rather just stay with the bug. Sorry. 

Also, isn't there any non Windows Store version anymore? 

Confirming issue reappeared as of version 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

Same here, the Media overlay shows up now even if it is disabled in Spotify settings. Please fix this bug since it i really annyoing.

The issue was solved before but its back now.

This issue is not resolved and many ppl experience it.

I think it can be manually reproduced by restarting Spotify, sometimes it doesn't load settings (or uses default settings, which shows the overlay.) in memory while displaying it unchecked.

Suggested posts