Announcements

Having trouble seeing your Wrapped stories? To fix this, update the Spotify app to the latest version.

Find more info on our community FAQ.

Merchbar and the curious case of a terrible strategic partnership with spotify

I have been an active spotify user for over 5 years now and in that time i have also been a musician that has his music listed on spotify.  Prior to the merchbar partnership with spotify in june 2016, i had easy access to sell my physical records easily through my spotify profile page, but since spotify procured the services of merchbar, my ability to do this has been completely shut down. 

I have repeatedly tried to reach out to merchbar to sign up to use its platform for spotify integration, and have been repeatdly denied not only access, but any actual steps that i need to take to eventually use this.  If and when their team responds, the ambiguous email correspondence often feels like groundhogs day, asking the same generic questions over and over, with no recollection of previous interactions.  It would seem that merchbar is reserving access to its integration to certain music labels, and denying others. 

it would be great if spotify allowed musicians to chose to use merchbar's services or to provide fans merchansie access via the older, more direct (DIY) method, or at the very least hold their vendor MERCHBAR more accountable to make it's services available to more artists/musicians. 

Hey @russrichards! Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Thanks for your report! I understand your concern and I would love to help you out. Spotify gathers all merchandise data from Merchbar and you'd need to have your merchandise on Merchbar for it to show up in Spotify. You can head to this page to sign up to be working with Merchbar. If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to shoot Merchbar an email at: artists@merchbar.com. Let me know if there is anything else.

Thanks and have a lovely day! 🙂

Comments
Hubo
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hey @russrichards! Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Thanks for your report! I understand your concern and I would love to help you out. Spotify gathers all merchandise data from Merchbar and you'd need to have your merchandise on Merchbar for it to show up in Spotify. You can head to this page to sign up to be working with Merchbar. If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to shoot Merchbar an email at: artists@merchbar.com. Let me know if there is anything else.

Thanks and have a lovely day! 🙂

russrichards
i signed up when it was first made available last year and have been denied
entry multiple times since june 2016, often times citing that they are
"full for onboarding," - and then mentioning to try at a later quarter. I
have multiple artists on spotify and althoughi love the democratic approach
that fosters music discovery, the merchbar sign up offers little to no
transparency and no recourse when they deny your application.
Jack

Hey @russrichards, thanks for reaching out to us on the Community!

We appreciate your frustration; thanks to @Hubo for offering support earlier, too.

Merchandise listed with Merchbar automatically displays on your artist profile in Spotify. We partnered with Merchbar because they have relationships with a large number of artists, merch companies, record labels, and distributors around the world.

If you work with a merch company or your merch is managed by a label or distributor, Merchbar likely has an existing partnership with your provider. All you need to do is ask them to make your merchandise available on Merchbar.

It sounds as if you've already reached out to them, so that's good to hear.

If you manage your merchandise independently, they have several options for listing your merchandise on their site and on Spotify. If you haven't already, you can read more on that here.

For more information on how to start selling merchandise and vinyl on Spotify or to find out if your merch company is a Merchbar partner, check out Merchbar's website.

We hope this helps. If you have more questions, we'd also suggest reaching out to our Artist Support team here.

Thanks!

thecasemaster

is this a **bleep**ing joke spotify? did you even read your user's message? it appears you didn't because you gave a canned response.

mptimmins

I tried purchasing 2 ablums through merch bar a couple of weeks ago. couldn't really tell if they combined shipping for multiple items. Seems like it's super convenient! Never got a detailed purchase confirmation. Only one album showed up. They told me I needed to start knocking on neighbors doors to see if someone else got it. Emailed them again and they said it was never sent because it was out of stock. Several weeks later; nothing. Merch bar would be so great if it worked. Seems super sketch. I kindof have this image in my head of a bunch of stoners looking for stuff in a dark warehouse. As convenient as it seems, I don't think I'll order through them again. 

I wouldn't worry about not being "onboarded" with merchbar. Their online reviews are mostly one star. 

deeperblue72

I run an independent label with several artists and releases on Spotify.
I've applied multiple times through Merchbar. 
It would be really nice if our fans on Spotify could get access to our physical discography.

jonas9105

Spotify *bleep*ing sucks, it's unbearable how they say: Oh Apple, time to play fair, but they don't play fair themselves, by limiting music merch competition, since other merchandise companies have NO way to get listed on Spotify. It's so unbearably disgusting and unacceptable.

Time to play fair Spotify! 🙂