Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music cuts out briefly on Echo devices

We've received reports that the music occasionally cuts out when listening to Spotify on Amazon Echo devices. This occurs both when controlling the music directly in the app and with voice commands.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! 

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
Foureyes44

Yeah, I had thought about changing to Apple Music, but I do really like the way Spotify curates playlists for me, so I am going to give it a bit more time and hope that it gets addressed. It would be super nice of Spotify actually responded here and gave us some idea what was going on and when a fix might be expected.

Woolba

Hey guys, I've been experiencing this issue since I replaced a faulty Echo Studio (unrelated issue). I didn't have this issue with Spotify on the old device (which I returned in late December/early January -- aligns with information others reported on when the issue started). Due to stock issues I only just got a replacement a few weeks ago and have been experiencing this issue when playing music via Spotify. Thought I had another faulty device and was about to get it replaced again. Glad that isn't the case.

Below is the requested info:

Echo Studio

Software version: 6812454788 (latest as of this post)

Spotify version: 8.7.10.1262 (Motorola G7 Power, Android 10)

Troubleshooting steps performed so far:

• Unlinked and removed Spotify skill from Alexa app
  • Reset Echo Studio
  • Re-enabled Spotify skill
  • Restarted modem

I have also recently replaced my entire network setup moving from my stock ISP modem (D-Link DVA-2800) to a full ubiquiti setup and the same issue is present.

The issue occurs both when issuing Alexa a voice command to play music and playing music via Spotify connect.

Cheers.

Same issue on 2 different Amazon devices

• Echo Studio, firmware version 6812454788
  • Echo 3rd Gen., firmware version 6812454788

I usually control my music using Spotify Connect on my desktop pc, Android smartphone or my Fitbit Versa 3. Sometimes I use my voice to shuffle specific artists. The Issue remains the same whichever method I use. The music cuts out for a second randomly. If you look at the recent Amazon reviews for the Spotify skill, you'll find the issue popping up more and more.

davidgollo

I have also been suffering cuts of approximately 1 second in all the devices that I have at home (echo dot, echo, echo plus and echo show). The cuts are random. This started happening about 2 months ago. It only happens when I listen to music on amazon echo speakers. If I play music on the android phone app it doesn't happen. If I play music in the windows spotify app it doesn't happen either. I've tried unlinking all the speakers from my amazon account and relinking them following instructions from amazon support, but it didn't work.

Novy
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We’ve passed your info on to the relevant team, who are currently looking into it.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Could you also make sure to provide us with the following info, if you haven’t already:

• your device's make, model and OS version
  • the version of your Spotify app
  • the model of your Alexa device as well as the firmware version
  • the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

Thanks! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

Foureyes44

Thank you. I'm glad to know this and hope you will keep us posted about a possible resolution timeline as it truly is impacting the enjoyment of the service.  To that end, if you feel like providing some account credit for all the time, hassle and loss of enjoyment, that would be really great.  It's also a way of Spotify taking ownership when the service is faulty, so that's my suggestion. 🙂

Thanks for the update. I'll be keeping my eyes open for any new developments. I bought my Echo devices specifically because Spotify used to work like a dream on them, better than Amazons own services by far, which I found hilarious. I'll be sure to renew my Spotify sub once this is ironed out.

Novy

Hi again, 

Would you mind sending over a video where we can take a better look at the issue? This will help us continue investigating this behavior. You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

Additionally, let us know if this is something that happens all the time or if it's intermittent but happens often. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

Foureyes44

A video of music playing in my kitchen?  The music plays and it suddenly drops for a second and continues. It can happen frequently, like half a dozen times in the span of a few minutes, or more typically, once in a while, like every 20-30 minutes. In other words, very random. Videoing the room with music playing in it would eventually capture the audio doing this, but there is nothing to see, it's just the audio dropping and, as I say, Amazon says that Spotify is aware of this, so it seems we don't need to be showing you the problem in a video if Spotify is already aware. If there's anything you need better described, please let me know and I will try to help.

Ztreft

@Novy 

i took a video as you asked where it happens about 4 times in 30 seconds but there is no way to upload here from my iphone. The website only has the option to upload an “image” and my videos do not show up there. Also do not know how to create a link to it... 

please advise