Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No internet connection/ app shows offline despite on WiFi or data

Hi. For the past few days, I've been completely unable to use spotify on mobile data. I have the allowance to do so but all the tracks are grayed out and I get a "no internet connection" error at the bottom. It works perfectly fine on WiFi.

I have tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling 

Logging out and back in several times

I have the Premium Student plan and a Samsung Note 10.

Hey everybody,

We would happily like to share with you that we’ve looked into this issue once more and our team has made various changes on the back-end to improve it.

For this reason we are setting it closed. Everything should be working much more smoothly from now on.

Nevertheless if you’re still experiencing difficulties in the matter, keep in mind that it might be because of the specifics of your network or device settings. As such We would again like to refer you to some steps that we’ve previously mentioned. They usually do the trick and if you follow and try all of them there's a high chance the issue will be resolved or you'll at least find the cause of it:

• Thoroughly reinstall the app with these steps.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the Windows hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • Run Windows in Safe Mode with Networking - if the app works with no issues there, we'd suggest adjusting different network settings and uninstalling any software that might be conflicting with Spotify's connectivity.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'll be there for you in the help boards if you need anything else.

Cheers!

Comments
Aleximex

@hezorg

Not on any beta versions. Tried the clean reinstall again. Nothing.

The only thing that works is force stopping the app which is incredibly inconvenient. Especially for an app I pay for monthly. 

RunningMan

I have the same problem. Not running a Beta version, clean install does not solve the issue. Force stopping the app does not help. Restarting the phone does help.

I have tried to switch between ipv4 and ipv6 which seemed to be the cause of a similar problem back in 2014. Oddly enough it worked, but not in a consistent way. Switching to ipv4 worked once. Switching to ipv6 worked once. The only thing consistent seems to be that spotify always looses internet connection when I leave home and is out of reach from my wifi (but 4g is on and working fine for all other apps). This started happening maybe 2 weeks ago.

quickstang

I'm going to see what happens when I get on the road in a bit. I'm going to leave Wi-Fi disconnected & see if it'll connect on mobile. 

I'll test again later when I leave the house with Wi-Fi on. Then see if it works. 

My theory at least for me, it may be some sort of Wi-Fi to mobile handoff Spotifyiis having issues with. However, I do have "keep mobile data always active" under Android dev options, and not only that, I'm not using Spotify before I use it in the car. So it's not active. 

Luan

Thank you for all the additional pieces of information that were provided. And be sure that I agree with you about the fact that it's too inconvenient and hurts your experience (especially if you're a Premium user). I'll escalate this case to get some more tips to suggest for you all and I really ask for your patience for now and collaboration. If you can provide any other information that you think is useful, it can help out us to better understand your case. 

Kind Regards,

hezorg

quickstang

So after I left work, I went to the grocery store, & just had mobile connection on my phone. WiFi was off when I left work. Shopped, got in the car, turned BT on, launched Spotify & nothing. No Internet Connection/You are Offline. Again, tried a few times, nothing.

Had full LTE (near a tower in fact), so that was good.

I then launched Google Play Music & selected an album & it started playing with no issues.

So this knocks out the thought of thinking it was some sort of WiFi to mobile hand off issue. Since WiFi was never on, & Spotify wasn't on when I left, that's not the issue.

For me again, something is causing Spotify not to connect when on mobile data unless the app is force closed then restarted. After that, it works fine. I'm not sure what bug persists, but maybe analyze why it works when the app is force closed & restarted. Is there a process related to mobile that's getting restarted? If so, why isn't that happening when you just launch the app & try to play a song? Considering Spotify hadn't ran in over 6hrs.

I also want to note that I don't clear cache either. I don't recall if force closing an app clears it or not, but if so, that could be the thing. Something being in Spotify's cache or memory thinking there's no data connection. Then when it's force closed & restarted, it's there.

No idea, but when I don't have this issue with any other music app, & yes as you said realized I paid a whole year to have this issue is a pain. This means every time i'm in the car I have to remember to force close Spotify before it'll work. I don't always run Spotify right away, but then I want to, I have to find a safe way in the car to do so. Not what I would expect out of an app that gets updated frequently, for this to persist.

daPyr0x

You are not the only one.  I have been having these issues for a couple weeks now.  Restart the phone and it will work for a period of time, and then it won't anymore.  Sometimes in the middle of a (streamed) song.  Offline files work fine if present.  Android Auto will just show "No items" on every single screen, and will hang if you try to search by voice.  Regular app just shows "No internet connection". 

My device is a LG G7 ThinQ with Android 9 and Spotify 8.5.32.889.  My wife has the same model phone on a family account and does not have any issues.

I also have Spotify Premium but I can't make it work unless I'm on desktop, or I have recently restarted the phone and have listened for less than ~20 minutes.

RunningMan

Tried this morning to turn off wifi before leaving home to hopefully avoid the problem, but to no luck. Here is what I did.

1. Start spotify on my Samsung A40, Android 9, premium account. -> Spotify works.

2. Turn off wifi (4G is working fine where I am)

-> Spotify says "No internet connection"

3. Force stop spotify and restart -> still "No internet connection"

4. Restart phone (still with no wifi on) -> Spotify works.

It seems like the only way I can get spotify to work again when it mysteriously looses internet connection is restarting the phone.

davidaxxa

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

S9+

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

I opened my android today and listened to Spotify on the way to school. I turned my phone on when leaving school, and Spotify will not connect to the internet. I 100% have a great internet connection on my phone and everything else works. I tried to reinstall it, and upon logging in, it will not let me login to my account. It will tell me if my password is wrong, but when I enter the correct login it tells me I'm not connected to the internet.

Spotify works without any issues on my desktop, so something happened today that is preventing me from only logging in via the android app. Which is totally up to date. Assistance would be greatly appreciated, I have 5 hours of driving today which will now suck because I can't listen to music because Spotify's internal system decided to bomb.

Tsinobmort

Currently having the same problem. 

Nokia 6.1, Android 9

Dekard9

Having the same problem on my Oneplus 5.

Just started today, when listening to music in the app that I had saved offline, I tried going to the album, and it was greyed out. And i noticed it said "No internet connection available" even though I had full signal both wifi and LTE, and i tried toggling between the two. Couldn't search for any music only music I had downloaded for offline use.

Thought reinstalling the app would help, but after a clean reinstall, now I am locked out of the app and can't login because it says "you're offline check your connection and try again"

Extremely frustrating as I am paying for this service. Tested web player and it works, so not an account issue