Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No internet connection/ app shows offline despite on WiFi or data

Hi. For the past few days, I've been completely unable to use spotify on mobile data. I have the allowance to do so but all the tracks are grayed out and I get a "no internet connection" error at the bottom. It works perfectly fine on WiFi.

I have tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling 

Logging out and back in several times

I have the Premium Student plan and a Samsung Note 10.

Hey everybody,

We would happily like to share with you that we’ve looked into this issue once more and our team has made various changes on the back-end to improve it.

For this reason we are setting it closed. Everything should be working much more smoothly from now on.

Nevertheless if you’re still experiencing difficulties in the matter, keep in mind that it might be because of the specifics of your network or device settings. As such We would again like to refer you to some steps that we’ve previously mentioned. They usually do the trick and if you follow and try all of them there's a high chance the issue will be resolved or you'll at least find the cause of it:

• Thoroughly reinstall the app with these steps.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the Windows hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • Run Windows in Safe Mode with Networking - if the app works with no issues there, we'd suggest adjusting different network settings and uninstalling any software that might be conflicting with Spotify's connectivity.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'll be there for you in the help boards if you need anything else.

Cheers!

Comments
chizdippler

This problem has been happening on the mac and windows versions of Spotify intermittently for years. If my browser can deal with an interruption to internet connection without having to do a full reinstall  then Spotify can too. Your team needs to actually fix this instead of suggesting a band-aid over the actual problem. Very frustrating lack of quality control for an app that I pay for every month!

Katerina
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Hey there folks,

We really appreciate all your reports so far!

Our tech teams have looked into this, but weren't able to reproduce it. Since this issue could be caused by individual network setups, we'll mark it as Not Right Now since it's something that will need to be looked into individually or could get resolved by an overall system and/or functionality change.

If you're experiencing this, we'd recommend making sure to try all the relevant steps first as these usually do the trick:
  • Thoroughly reinstall the app with these steps.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the Windows hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • Run Windows in Safe Mode with Networking - if the app works with no issues there, we'd suggest adjusting different network settings and uninstalling any software that might be conflicting with Spotify's connectivity.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.
If you're still having troubles after checking all these, let us know by starting a new thread in the related Help Board and including all the steps you've tried so far and their outcome.

We'll be happy to take a closer look and lend a hand there!
recrudesce

Well that's a bit of a cop out response.

Can you tell me how Spotify checks for internet access ?  Does it try and communicate with a certain set of IP's or domains ?  Does it need to be able to resolve a certain domain etc ?

GIVE US SOME INFORMATION.  It's not a network issue, because as I said everything else works perfectly, apart from Spotify...

zippade

Windows 10 Build 1909 - Spotify Premium plan

- Main app declares error 4, but some features appears to work, as if only part of app was blocked.

Chrome browser player works, it even shows in Desktop main app , i can even control play (pause, skip to part...)error4.png

Device list shows nothing, while it is supposed to display list (android phone, web browser, desktop app)

error4-1.png

While on android phone, when i choose my PC from device list, it stops playing at all. When selecting another song, nothing happens (player is not working). I must go to settings and switch back to "This phone" to get it working.

I have used all common advices from this community forum, none of those worked.

recrudesce

So, my internet went out for about 34 seconds, Spotify went "offline" and now REFUSES to go back online again, even though everything on the same PC is functioning perfectly well.

What does the Windows Spotify client DO to determine if it's online or not ?  Can you give me the DNS endpoints it checks, what it expects in return.

This is so absolutely bafflingly stupid that you are not acknowledging there is a fault in your product here...

HELP US HELP YOU.

chizdippler

>What does the Windows Spotify client DO to determine if it's online or not ?  Can you give me the DNS endpoints it checks, what it expects in return.

Yes, this would be helpful. This seems like an entirely solvable problem that many other programs have already solved.  

letmepost

I don't understand why you guys aren't addressing this. This just happened to me this morning...I've been playing Spotify for years, up until last night, and this morning it gives me error code 4. I've spent the last hour googling a solution (none that work) and it's obviously a problem--going back to 2015 at least. Mind you, I'm googling a solution on the same machine that Spotify is telling me isn't connected to the internet. Instead, you're blaming the user. I can't think of any other application on my machine that tells me I'm not connected when I am. This is a Spotify problem that Spotify needs to fix.

zippade
After a few days without Spotify installed on my desktop, Yesterday I tried
to install it one more time. It worked. I thought it was something with my
provider or so. Today, it does not work. Same error code 4. On another PC
on the same net it works just well.

It would help if anyone from tech support can tell what IP / port /
protocol that app uses, it may help diagnose the issue.
robb213

>>What does the Windows Spotify client DO to determine if it's online or not ?  Can you give me the DNS endpoints it checks, what it expects in return.

>Yes, this would be helpful. This seems like an entirely solvable problem that many other programs have already solved. 

How many others have the problem where Windows says "No Internet Access" even when you clearly have it working? This started for a lot of people with Win10 v2004, but I saw it as early as v1803.

I'm amazed that Spotify uses the Windows functionality for DNS probing rather than doing it internally...

Spotify: Get rid of the functionality and do it internally. Microsoft has shown time and time again that they cannot deploy stable releases without major problems. You should rely on them as minimally as possible. If it wasn't for this **** Windows bug the Spotify client would be working fine.

EDIT: For those affected by the "No Internet Access" bug with Win10 v2004 (or as early as v1803) see comments in this gHacks article. It requires registry editing so do not proceed if you are not familiar with the Windows registry. Once pointed to proper domains and host/content keys are properly configured, Spotify will start working.

Spotify is basically throwing their hands up in the air and saying tough luck as this problem is out of their hands due to Microsoft (they can still change this implementation on their end if they do the extra work...). If you have any other OS and have not ruled out all the other reasons given, you fall into some other problem.

Feebleminder

Deezer never failing like this!