Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No internet connection/ app shows offline despite on WiFi or data

Hi. For the past few days, I've been completely unable to use spotify on mobile data. I have the allowance to do so but all the tracks are grayed out and I get a "no internet connection" error at the bottom. It works perfectly fine on WiFi.

I have tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling 

Logging out and back in several times

I have the Premium Student plan and a Samsung Note 10.

Hey everybody,

We would happily like to share with you that we’ve looked into this issue once more and our team has made various changes on the back-end to improve it.

For this reason we are setting it closed. Everything should be working much more smoothly from now on.

Nevertheless if you’re still experiencing difficulties in the matter, keep in mind that it might be because of the specifics of your network or device settings. As such We would again like to refer you to some steps that we’ve previously mentioned. They usually do the trick and if you follow and try all of them there's a high chance the issue will be resolved or you'll at least find the cause of it:

• Thoroughly reinstall the app with these steps.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the Windows hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • Run Windows in Safe Mode with Networking - if the app works with no issues there, we'd suggest adjusting different network settings and uninstalling any software that might be conflicting with Spotify's connectivity.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'll be there for you in the help boards if you need anything else.

Cheers!

Comments
spineline

Plan: Premium
Device: Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017)

i tried everything and even the uninstall and re-login added more problems as they did not let me login both directly and using the password-less method, the direct login saying there was a problem logging in and to try later even though it was already hours/days from the last re-login, and the password-less method says the link has expired SECONDS after i received it. The only solution is to restart the phone and re-login, every time, which is a major inconvenience.

chizdippler
I bet the Spotify web player doesn't have any problem with internet
connections.
JigMcGalliger

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

I'm having this issue too. Did a clean install through the windows store, no luck. The web version works fine. It is not my hosts file, firewall, or local network.

chizdippler

This just happened to me. I tried to play some music after bringing the computer out of sleep. Rather than closing the app I tried to play a different song. I clicked on something in a playlist and the app played about 5s of it before it decided it couldn't play anymore -- still saw the connection warning. So I tried playing a few other things, same thing happened. When I tried to play the 4th or 5th song Spotify figured out that it was actually connected to the internet (it had been the whole time). The warning went away and now it's playing music with no issue. 

Workaround: try playing other songs/playlists, the warning might go away and Spotify app might figure out that it can actually play music. 

MythicDoctor

Installed the latest version of Spotify and it worked for a couple days, but today no amount of restarting the application has resolved the permanently offline issue. At one point it was telling me I had a firewall problem (I didn't) but that message went away after a few minutes.

Spotify works on my network using android, ios, and mac devices, but not the Windows device.

Followed debug steps to no avail. Disappointed.

Device: Surface Pro 7
Plan: Premium

d-vid

Plan: Premium Duo
Device: Dell-e7450

Client version: 1:1.1.42.622.gbd112320-37

Same issue as described many times above for all different types of OS. The web client has no problems. Only today connection was already reported as lost for 10 times. Eth connection was never lost though.

prcribeiro

Plan: Premium Duo
Device: Dell Precision 3431

Client version: 1.1.42.622.gbd112320

Same issue as all the previous users. Spotify intermittently reports that it has no Internet connection, even though I'm able to use all other applications on my computer perfectly fine (including the Web version of Spotify) and the Internet connection has not been interrupted.

I don't have any kind of "complicated" setup such as a firewall or proxy. Please look into this as it is quite frustrating trying to listen to music with this flaky behavior from Spotify. 😞

faronitas

I send you this bugreport while Spotify on Linux thinks its offline.

Operating System: Debian Gnu Linux 10

I used wireshark to check for DNS Problems. All Querys i can assign to spotify are resolved and to all resolved IPs I can connect via ICMP Ping.

But Spotify says: Error Code 4

prcribeiro

If you're using Linux (and NetworkManager) have a look at this solution:

Arch linux: spotify stuck offiline : archlinux

I just tried it myself and it's working so far. 🙏 Let me know if you need help disabling the connectivity checking feature.

d-vid

@prcribeiro 

Thanks for sharing this information. My doubt is what the side effect would be of this workaround for other processes. In this context I'm still puzzled why the problem is also occurring on other OS's and only with the Spotify client. 

Once again, thanks for sharing your findings!