Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Now Playing bar missing on Android

Hey folks,

We have received reports that Android users (mostly Samsung users) are unable to see the Now Playing bar on the app whenever they play songs/podcasts.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Hello everyone,

We've been continuing to gather your details in this thread and further looking into matters.

As mentioned previously, the issue with the now playing bar had been resolved for the majority of users about a month ago. The common denominator with every report received afterwards was that this was still intermittently an issue on Samsung phones. 

There's most likely something within how the affected phones process and handle the Spotify app that still causes the now playing bar to misbehave. We'll continue to work on optimizing the app and trying to find a permanent solution for those affected.

While this is ongoing, we want to thank @Tom0527 for posting steps that provide a solution by modifying some phone settings. Follow the instructions in his post and you shouldn't have any more troubles. 

As we now have enough information, the general fix is in place and there's a device-specific solution, we will be marking this thread as Fixed and closing it. With that being said, we want to reiterate that we'll continue in our efforts to improve stability for all supported phone models from our end as well.

Take care!

Comments
William-Davies

Same issue. Galaxy Note9. Thanks!

Hussamelarabi
  • Samsung galaxy S20+ 5G (SM-G986B)
  • App version: 8.7.20.1261
  • Troubleshooting steps tried so far:

Tried to clear cache and data. Restarting the app/force stop are the only two ways that work.

I cannot consistently reproduce the issue but it seems to happen mainly when i connect a bluetooth device while app is running in the background.

Beans_McMann

Same issue here!! Galaxy S20. Went through all the usual Spotify goof up steps.. No success yet! 

Cbfblasting

Plan = Premium

Country = Australia 

Device = Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Operating System

Android 12 UI 4.1

My Question or Issue

Several times a day, the play control bar disappears and there is no recenly play. I can play music but there is no pause, rewind. Closing spotify doesn't help. Only restarting the phone helps. Spotify reinstaled with removing the data.

Bill-E-Fresh

I'm having the same playback issue as all the others in this thread, and have tried the same steps to trouble shoot but to no avail.  Only way to stop playback is to force stop the app or restart the phone.  Very annoying.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G.  Android v12.  UI 4.1.  

Spotify app version 8.7.20.1261

mike_gt2

Best workaround for now is  to download a previous verson of the app.

GabeCoonce

Same issue, Pixel 5a. Android 12, SP2A.220305.012

zethgraham

I have a OnePlus 8 Pro and I'm dealing with the same problem. This also means I can't pause the song, skip it, or start it over

realstu

I use the Spotify android app on my Samsung Galaxy s10 Plus. After an April 10 Spotify update, I immediately noticed the "now playing" display was gone, as were the controls to skip ahead, jump back, and even the control was gone to stop playback. I have to completely shut down the app anytime I need to stop playback. How ridiculous.

mattperth

Exact device and Operating System version

• HUAWEI P30 Pro
  • Android 10

App version

Screenshot/video of the issue

Screenshot_20220412_111331.jpg

Troubleshooting steps tried so far

• Rebooted phone
  • Force stop and restart app
  • Completely uninstall app and reinstall

I've also noticed that when music is playing via Bluetooth in my Hyundai Veloster, the song and artist names are not available on the screen, and I can't skip/repeat etc songs. This has only become an issue at the same time as this now playing issue, so assume it may be related.