Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Now Playing bar missing on Android

Hey folks,

We have received reports that Android users (mostly Samsung users) are unable to see the Now Playing bar on the app whenever they play songs/podcasts.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Hello everyone,

We've been continuing to gather your details in this thread and further looking into matters.

As mentioned previously, the issue with the now playing bar had been resolved for the majority of users about a month ago. The common denominator with every report received afterwards was that this was still intermittently an issue on Samsung phones. 

There's most likely something within how the affected phones process and handle the Spotify app that still causes the now playing bar to misbehave. We'll continue to work on optimizing the app and trying to find a permanent solution for those affected.

While this is ongoing, we want to thank @Tom0527 for posting steps that provide a solution by modifying some phone settings. Follow the instructions in his post and you shouldn't have any more troubles. 

As we now have enough information, the general fix is in place and there's a device-specific solution, we will be marking this thread as Fixed and closing it. With that being said, we want to reiterate that we'll continue in our efforts to improve stability for all supported phone models from our end as well.

Take care!

Comments
72ALEX

Why is my Samsung S21 ULTRA NIT SHOWING WHATS PLAYING?? WHAT IS THE FIX ??? SOMEONE HELP PLEASE ITS PI##ING ME OFF 

SpotyThrowbacks
I can confirm I am having the same issue.. I'm constantly closing out and reloading spotify in order to get the player to show.
_beingthere

I just cancelled Premium and gave this as the reason. I see Mario's update, but I'm getting billed  tomorrow and have had this unusable version for almost a week, so I'm not waiting any longer. Going to try a different service. Don't know why they wouldn't just push a rollback until they could patch this version. Ah well.  Good luck to y'all.

Ciaran94

Plan

Premium

Country

Ireland

Device

Samsung Galaxy A12

Operating System

Android

The most annoying part of this bug is that the pause button on my headphones no longer work on this. If I want to pause anything, I either need to do it through the desktop client, or force-quit the app.

Also, if I'm listening to podcasts on my phone, the episode will stop every 15 minutes or so.

OscarDC

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community. We moved your post from Music chat to the help boards as its content fits better here.

Great troubleshooting so far, we can add a few more steps to make sure we've covered all bases. We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing issues. 

If the issue persists, would you mind sending the make, model and OS version along with the Spotify version you're currently running? This will give us a better look at the issue to help you further.

We'll be on the lookout. 

mwdelta

I am experiencing this on my S22.  My guess is it has something to do with Bluetooth connecting/disconnecting... As in, after refueling the car, when trying to play music to a speaker the next day, etc. 

For me, force stop and restart fixes. My Spotify had no permissions - I am going to try adding Find Nearby Devices and see if that helps. 

SpotyThrowbacks
It's really disappointing that spotify programmed its "stars" to copy and paste like robots. It doesn't feel like you're helping us at all. We might as well dial into a machine.
anananannis

Sometimes the bar can be seen from the top of the screen but you can only paus and play(occurs rarely) when bar finally appears. Using OnePlus 6T

Novy
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks, 

A number of Spotify users on Android devices may have experienced issues with the Now Playing View and music playback.

A fix has now been implemented and is rolling out to all users.

Cheers!

Soma

Happens on Oneplus 6 as well. Force quitting and restarting the app solves it for a while.