Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Now Playing bar missing on Android

Hey folks,

We have received reports that Android users (mostly Samsung users) are unable to see the Now Playing bar on the app whenever they play songs/podcasts.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Hello everyone,

We've been continuing to gather your details in this thread and further looking into matters.

As mentioned previously, the issue with the now playing bar had been resolved for the majority of users about a month ago. The common denominator with every report received afterwards was that this was still intermittently an issue on Samsung phones. 

There's most likely something within how the affected phones process and handle the Spotify app that still causes the now playing bar to misbehave. We'll continue to work on optimizing the app and trying to find a permanent solution for those affected.

While this is ongoing, we want to thank @Tom0527 for posting steps that provide a solution by modifying some phone settings. Follow the instructions in his post and you shouldn't have any more troubles. 

As we now have enough information, the general fix is in place and there's a device-specific solution, we will be marking this thread as Fixed and closing it. With that being said, we want to reiterate that we'll continue in our efforts to improve stability for all supported phone models from our end as well.

Take care!

Comments
denisemd

Samsung galaxy s10e

Android

My Question or Issue

When I start to play a song or podcast after it starts playing if I go back into the app the buttons to pause/play/skip ahead/next track  have disappeared.   The progress bar that shows what you are listening to also doesn't display. It makes it impossible to rewind, change tracks, pause, etc. I've cleared cache and unintstalled and reinstalled twice that has not fixed the issue.

Jeremy

Hi there @denisemd,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. This seems odd and we'd like to investigate this further.

Can you confirm that you followed the steps that's provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your device, so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you followed the steps above without any success it would be great if you can have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member to see if the issue persists. This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

It would also be great if you can provide us a screenshot so that we can have a closer look directly from your end.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care 🙂

ddinstel

I am having the same issue on my Galaxy S20. I've cleared the cache and done a clean reinstall with no luck. If I close out the app and then open it again, the now playing bar returns, but only until the next time the app is minimized, so I have to keep doing this 10+ times per day. At this point I'm considering switching to a different streaming service.

Elena

Hey there @ddinstel,

Thanks for hopping on board and nice troubleshooting so far! 

Have you also tried the rest of the steps, shared by @Jeremy?
If it's possible, it'd be great if someone logged in their own account from your device, so that we can see if this issue is account-related.
Note: Screenshots are also always appreciated! 🙂

We'll be on the lookout for your response.

Many thanks!

Doohoo

Plan

Premium

Country

Poland

Device

Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

Operating System

Android 12 UI 4.1

My Question or Issue

Several times a day, the play control bar disappears and there is no recenly play. I can play music but there is no pause, rewind. Closing spotify doesn't help. Only restarting the phone helps. Spotify reinstaled with removing the data.  Music is playing on the phone when i make screen.

Screenshot_20220408-174122_Spotify.jpg
SmartSelect_20220408-172545_Spotify.jpg
Paul731

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Samsung Galaxy S21

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Why does my "Now Playing" bar at the bottom of the application keep disappearing? I need to shut Spotify down and restart it for it to reappear.

This used to happen on my old Huawei P30 Pro as well. I upgraded to a Samsung S21 recently - same problem. It doesn't happen on the Windows application.

Screenshot_20220409-100700_Spotify.jpg
Chymes

A couple of days ago the "play bar" just disappeared. Not only from being displayed in the app itself but also from the "lock screen" on the mobile. I would like to add that when playing music it sometimes (more like very often) pauses a few seconds and then continuous, which is very annoying. First I thought it had something to do with my mobile connection but it happens when I auto connect to WiFi at home or at friends. And yes, I tried to uninstall, remove all app data etc, reinstall. Still, the same issue. So, I can't pause, move back/forward or change track like before and on top of that when I listen to music it stutters.

Any idea what is wrong?

/Andreas

austinrobinson0228

I'm having  the same issue. I have to restart the app constantly to get it back. They need to get it fixed

Yordan

Hi @Chymes,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you provide us with the following info:

• Your device's make, model and OS version.
  • The version of your Spotify app.

Does that happen when you're listening to Spotify on the same device, or are you just using it to control the playback? A short screen recording which shows the app's behavior will be greatly appreciated. That way we can get a clear understanding of how things look on your end.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Cheers!

OscarDC

Hey @Doohoo,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far, but to be sure that we're on the same page - did you use these steps for a clean reinstall? They are more thorough than a regular one. That way you can make sure the cache is not causing this issue.

If so and if the issue persists, would you mind trying it in a different device to see if it makes any difference? With this we can verify if it could be device-related or not to keep helping you further.

We'll be on the lookout for your next response.