Country

France

Device

Huawei P20 Pro

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

Hey,

I download a lot of music and organize it into playlists when I'm offline. It has always been working fine.

Since 2 days, some of the offline modifications (songs added to playlists, creation of new playlists) disappear when I'm back online. It has been happening systematically during the last 2 days.

I understand playlists version control, with the snapshot system, but I'm certain those playlists haven't been modified by another user or device. 

The timeline suggests the issue might come from the 26th January update.

I've also recently been playing with the API, but I've never programmatically modified the playlists in question.

The attachments show an offline-created playlist who vanished. The error message appears when I try to launch it from its Android shortcut.

Anybody knows how I could troubleshoot it ? Are offline modifications deprecated ?

Thanks

Hey everyone!

Thanks for bearing with us while our teams were looking into this. We've heard back that they've done their magic backstage and this should be resolved in the latest version of the app available. 

Could you give these steps a try and let us know how it goes? 

If you're still having troubles, make sure to include in your comment the exact version of the app you ended up with so we can pass it along.

We're looking forward to your updates, cheers!

Comments
Jeremy

Hey there @Gazerbin,

Thank you for your post. We're happy to help.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Let us know how everything goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to 🙂

Cheers!

Gazerbin
Regular

"""Thanks, that did the trick !

The app weighed 28GB with at least 10GB of cache

Bye

"""

Edit : Nope, it still doesn't work. If I turn data off, modify a playlist, and turn back the data, changes disappear.

The app is now 13GB, and 60GB remains free on my android.

Gazerbin
Regular

Well, the issue ain't solved. But I've got some more clues

Currently, the app weighs 14.9 GB

If I create a playlist offline, it then disappears when I'm back online. But when I'm back offline, I can access it.

Then, if I modify it again while being offline (which works), the playlist is considered void online, but I can't access it when I'm back offline.

It's like the cache and the online data don't communicate. Like they are two separate instances.  The 15 GB size mustn't help for sure

Apart from that, sometimes (often) the whole downloads 'll be downloaded again. Or some playlists downloaded turn grey. But, since it's a pretty common issue I've already had with different phones, I don't think it is related.

I link a short video showing what's the issue

https://vimeo.com/512531751

Well, it's painful and I hope there's a solution

Alex

Hi there @Gazerbin,

Thanks for the detailed info.

We'd recommend trying to Log Out Everywhere - this will assure that you're not logged in on multiple devices, which can be hindering the app's performance as it takes extra time to sync up on all your device if you've made changes on one device while being offline. You can also try enabling Offline Mode from the app Settings whenever your not connected to a network and see if that helps.

Another factor could be the Firewall on your home network - make sure there is an exception for Spotify in the Firewall rules.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

Cheers.

JEEMKLFAN

Whenever I try to add a song to my main playlist while offline it disappears when I go online. This is incredibly annoying since I download albums to listen to offline and add them to my playlist offline. I am on an OPPO A9 using Spotify version 8.6.4.971 which is the latest version for my phone and I have local files on my playlist.

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

(OPPO A9)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Spotify not letting me add songs to a playlist offline

Gazerbin
Regular

Hey,

I tried your suggestions. It still doesn't work.

I was able to reproduce the issue on my Chromebook (Spotify app from the Play Store), and with two different premium accounts. 

I uninstalled the app again and made sure all its data were wiped out. Tried the issue without previously downloading too many songs (200MB app) : didn't work.

I'm the admin of a Family Plan, so I tried with another Premium account and got the same issue, on both devices.

I created another free account for the API, not to mess directly with my library. I've also never used the API with the second account I got the issue with. So we can forget it.

I tried on my 4G Hotspot, my college WiFi and behind a VPN. When I'm connected on both my Huawei and Chromebook, or just one at a time. It's always the same issue.

So, I think we eliminated the following causes : device, network, size of the app / cache, API, account.

I think there might be an issue with the Android app.

Bye, and thank you for your support

Billy-J
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @JEEMKLFAN, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you please:

1. Confirm if it has always been like this or this issue has recently occurred?

2. Disconnect all devices from your account here. 

3. Do a clean reinstall. 

Let me know how this goes.

Xenia

Hey @Gazerbin,

Thanks for getting back to us with all these details. We immensely appreciate the hard work and effort you've poured in to do some troubleshooting on your end!

We'll look into it. For now, we recommend keeping an eye out for future updates to the app, but just as a heads up, we’re not able to confirm if or when the issue will be fixed. 

Have a lovely day 🙂

JEEMKLFAN

This started happening about a month ago and at that point i had local files on my playlist for a few months

Xenia
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this to us! We've just merged a few threads together to keep you all in the loop. 

We’ve passed your info on to the relevant team, who are currently looking into it. If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and subscribe to this thread so that you'll be notified as soon as there are any updates.

It'd also be great if you could provide us with the following info, if you haven’t already:

Thanks! We’ll be on the lookout for your replies.