Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback bar stutters on the desktop app.

Hey there,

We've received reports about the playback bar stuttering or freezing during playback on the desktop app.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
Hardcoreboogie

Plan

Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Since updating to:

Spotify for Windows
1.1.88.612.gcc529952

Everything seems fine except the functionality of the progress bar.

It stops at random intervals, while the song continues.

It's still responsive to my cursor; I can skip through a song and the bar picks up the seconds from there, only to stop again after a dozen seconds.

When the bar is frozen, playing other tracks does not refresh it. Only actively tapping inside the bar.

Hoovering over a progressing bar (when it turns green) seems to trigger the freeze, at least, sometimes.

So far, I have logged in/out. Restarted the app. Cleared the cache. Restarted the PC. Checked "Task Manager", but no unusual CPU/memory demands.

OscarDC

Hey @Hardcoreboogie,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far. This type of case is usually related to some damaged files from previous updates stored on your device. We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful getting rid of any corrupted files that might be causing issues. 

If the issue persists, would you mind checking on a different device (if possible)? This will give us a better look at the issue. 

Lastly, it would be great if you could have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member, to see if the issue persists. This will help us understand if it could be account-related or not.

We'll be waiting for your response. 

Nethervoid

Hi @OscarDC,

I've had the same issue ever since the most recent update.  I've done the clean reinstall as you recommend in your reply.  However, I can provide specific steps to recreate this issue, which I can do consistently on my device.  I posted this elsewhere on the community forum, but thought I'd put it here too.  

Plan:  Premium

Device:  MacBook Pro

PART A:  Trigger

1 - Select song and skip to middle (or anywhere that isn't the start or end)

2 - Use skip forward or backward (I've found this step to be occasionally unnecessary but have been able to trigger the bug more consistently with it)

3 - If 2 results in the progress bar getting stuck skip to Part B.  If 2 results in normal behavior, repeat Part A.

PART B:  Test

*** As mentioned in the original post, clicking inside the progress bar temporarily resolves the issue.  This has been my primary method of resetting the problem to test it.

*** Restarting Spotify also temporarily resolves the issue.

*** Additionally, after resetting the problem, I am unable to recreate the bug with my trackpad, only a mouse (It doesn't matter which mouse, I've tried 3 different ones USB and wireless, with and without the accompanying software).  

I found a computer in my house that is not running the most recent version of Spotify and was unable to get the issue to happen on that device.  However, I was able to update Spotify on that computer and consistently trigger the bug by following PART A.  Additionally, the above steps also work on the online version of Spotify.

Thanks in advance.

Quick edit:  I just realized that this is a Windows Desktop thread not Mac,  I'm happy to find a more appropriate place to put this if need be.

Hardcoreboogie

Hi @OscarDC,

Today I did a clean reinstall, following the steps listed in your linked manual. I used the Spotify installer instead of the Microsoft Store version - like I've always done.

Sadly, the issue persists. Starting already with the very first track I played on the fresh install.

I have no other devices to test on, and there's currently no one in my direct surrounding to test the app through their account.

However, I logged in with an older free account that's still active, after first clearing the cache of my Premium one.

Here, too, the progress bar is malfunctioning.

archerious

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC - 12700K, 32GB RAM etc

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue

The progress bar keeps going to 0:00 or getting stuck on whatever the last song was at. So if I was at 1:30 in a song then hit play on another it'll show 1:30 on the next song even if it's actually playing from the start. Really annoying.

Only started with the most recent update to Spotify that happened today, 6/25/2022.

So I uninstalled the app and then installed Spotify from your website instead of the Windows Store. Same issue. 

Screen recording of the bug. 

Ghillied

Exact same issue I'm currently having

wolfman

Same problem but all my saved material in playlists still play OK! 

AndresM

Hey everyone, 

Thanks for your replies. 

Could your tell us if this happens with the web player too?

Changing tunes, send us over the Spotify version installed on your device and @Hardcoreboogie, send us over the make/model and exact OS (Windows) version installed.

We'll stay tuned. 

Hardcoreboogie

Hi @AndresM,

Firefox 101.0.1

The progress bar has the same issues in the web player.

In the main browser, as well as when opened in a private window.

*EDIT: the few add-ons I use should not interfere with Spotify Web - all scripts are allowed.

Nonetheless checked with add-ons disabled. Made no difference concerning the progress bar.

I checked it with 2 accounts: a premium and a free one.

Spotify for Windows | 1.1.88.612.gcc529952

Installed yesterday through the Spotify installer .exe

Device name: DESKTOP-CO58KKI

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU 2.90GHz

Installed RAM: 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 21H2

OS Build: 19044.1766

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

drobxl

Same problem on Windows 10 with most recent Spotify update, over both my devices. Pretty annoying!