Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback stops on mobile devices. Progress bar stays at 0:00.

Hey folks!

We're getting reports from both Android and iOS users about the app stopping audio playback. This usually occurs after successfully playing 1-3 tracks without issues.

We wanted to let you know that this is being investigated and we'll keep you posted on how it goes in this thread!

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and sharing your troubleshooting info with the Community!

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
shandog84

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

iPhone 12

Operating System

iOS 15.6

Spotify App Version

My Question or Issue

For the past couple of weeks, when I am listening with bluetooth headphones (Shokz OpenRun Pro and SENA SRL2 - both of which have been used for months/years without issue until now), the playback will freeze.  It only does it when it is about to play the next song.  It stops at 0:00 and won't play (see attached).  Trying to open up any playlist results in it forever loading (as if it has no internet).  The diagnostics logs on the phone show that the OS is crashing the app but I'm not technical enough to understand more than that.

So my best guess is that it's crashing, but not crashing properly, which is why I can still see the app and operate the menu's, but functionally it's dead and requires me to reset the app.

I have fully reset the app multiple times (https://community.spotify.com/t5/FAQs/How-can-I-perform-a-clean-reinstall-of-the-app/ta-p/4746485).  Spotify chat support has reset my cache.  I have logged out of all devices.  All to no avail.  I'm still working with chat but the problem is they can only seem to diagnose it by asking me to play music and wait for it to happen.  Of course it never happens while I'm with support, but also sometimes it won't happen for ages and sometimes it happens within 2-3 songs.

Does anyone have ideas?  I'm supposed to do a half marathon in 2 days and really need my music for it.

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-12 at 5.02.46 PM.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-12 at 6.46.23 PM.jpg
hellonicholas

I have been using Spotify for years on my iPhone and have never had any issues. For the past 4 or so days I cannot listen to music because the playback will automatically stop and the app will freeze. The only way I can fix it is by closing the whole app down and reopening it again. However this is only a temporary fix as I will continuously have to keep doing this every 2 or 3 songs, which is EXTREMELY annoying. 
I have cleared the cache, deleted the app, signed out, restarted the phone, updated the auto playback functions. Absolutely nothing has fixed the issue and it’s driving me insane. 
I contacted Spotify help and they were totally useless. PLEASE FIX THIS SPOTIFY. 

Ga-Eul

Same here. iPhone XS  iOS 15.6 and after 2-3 songs playback stops. 😭😭😭 fix it please

JBGlanz

I have an iPhone 12 mini on IOS 15.6 and it's also happening to me. I noticed it happens more often when I have crossfade on but it still occasionally happens when I have it turned off. When a song ends, it goes to the next song and it stays at 0:00. I try to pause then play again but the pause/play button turns gray and it won't let me do anything else on the app (like I have no internet). I've tried all the tips (signing out of all accounts, restarting the phone, deleting and reinstalling, resetting Wifi, and using Cellular data) and nothing has helped. It doesn't happen when I play music on my PC though. It's been happening for the past week or two now. Hoping Spotify can give us all a refund for the time lost.

Yordan

Hi everyone!

Our internal teams have recently made some changes backstage. Those of you who are on Android, could you try restarting your device to see if the issue is fixed for you? Let us know how it goes.

As for iOS, the root cause for this is still being investigated, I'm afraid. We've forwarded your details to the right folks and will keep you posted here as soon as we have any new info to share, so stay tuned!

Cheers!

ThaEmily

I am having this same issue on an android device. I live in the US and I have a premium plan. The app is up to date with he most recent update. I have already tried doing a clean reset, as well as logging out and back in and it is still happening. It's very frustrating for me because spotify is my main music source. I pay for premium just so I can listen to anything any time and with this issue, songs won't play. Even my downloaded tracks aren't working.

shandog84

In the end, support had me create a new account and then they transferred my music across. No issues ever since. Just a little upset that I’ve lost my playback history, but I’m happy to have music that doesn’t freeze up.

EDIT: I have since found out that this solution has reset the 'date added' field for every song in every playlist to the date the new account was created.  My problem is that all playlists were ordered specifically by date added.  One playlist is over 800 songs long.  Support has told me that there is nothing that can be done.  I will now be forced to spend hours amending my playlists manually after already spending hours with support trying to fix the original issue.  What a joke!

Georgie259

Plan:

Free

Device:

Oneplus nord CE 2 

Region:

India

Latest Android, oxygen OS

And latest update on Spotify 

Have been having several problems with my Spotify mobile app.

Works all fine and well on webplayer and desktop app.

But on phone since past 4-6weeks, i have tried reinstalling several times, clearing cache, several other common and recommended fixes by Spotify.

At the end none of it helps. 

At times,

it just gets stuck at the logo

Song plays only for 10 seconds then stops 

Nothing really opens, shows no network(everything else works) 

14 Dec Update: been using Spotify, for 2 or so months now, after an update Spotify started working fully fine over mobile data, but still doesn't work over wifi.

On wifi maybe if I'm playing my offline playlist, 30mins later it connects back to wifi and may work normally for an hour or so till the issue comes back again randomly.

Enjoying Spotify premium now.

angramainyu

Most podcasts not working, for example: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7Cd2AxrDGjJnFjj3WuI4z4?si=77a6bee855004570

This is happening on my Pixel 4 and my wife's Pixel 2, and on the Windows app on Windows 10. This started two days ago and has not gone away.

A few podcasts seem to work, but most do not, all just show the icon change from pause to play, but the timer never moves. Picking part way through the track to listen does not help.

On the phones we have tried rebooting, clearing cache, reinstalling the app, all no luck, same problem. Same issue when on wifi or data.

-b_ybayp2q27r

So happy it's not just me.

Motorola 5g here. app has been consistently been crashing for me whenever it plays in the background when connected to bluetooth— happens with my current car and happened with the car i junked months ago. Sometimes if i have Google maps open, app just crashes. very sad 😞