Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast episodes appear in alphabetical order in the queue

We've received reports that in the Desktop app, podcast episodes appear in alphabetical order in the queue, regardless of how you sort them. This occurs both on Windows and Mac.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to announce that this should now be fixed for everyone - just make sure you're running the latest version of Spotify.

If you're still having trouble you can post a new thread in the relevant Help board here.

Have a good one!

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey folks!

This should now be working correctly.

Make sure your app is updated & please check if the issue persists for you 🙂
Thanks!

Comments
deflyingdutches

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for getting back to me!

Sadly a clean install didn't remove the problem, there were no references to Spotify in the host file, and it is impossible for me to try a different internet connection (it seemed redundant to give my PC tower wifi capabilities when I have a LAN cable available).

You might want to know that podcast playback works fine on my mobile app, which I could finally check today.

cheers!

Yordan
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey everyone,

If you're experiencing this, please click on +VOTE and provide us with the following info:

• the version of your operating system
  • the version of your Spotify app
  • the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

We'll pass the info on to the internal teams at Spotify to look further into this. As always, we'll be sure to post an update here when we have new information to share, so Subscribe to the thread to stay tuned!

Thanks!

signorbolle

Operating System Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044

Spotify Version: Spotify for Windows 1.1.78.765.g5ea20b00

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

• Tried to change sorting order
  • Rebooted computer
  • Reinstalled Spotify

I have verified that this issue only exists on both of my Windows PCs. I do not have it on my Android phone.

cold_shiver

Spotify Version: Spotify for Windows 1.1.78.765.g5ea20b00

Troubleshooting Attemps:

Changed sort order

Restarted Computer

Uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify.

No change. It works fine on my phone but not my desktop.

RCarosella

Hi @Loxer I change the order before I play. It's worked fine for the 7-8 years I've been using Spotify for podcasts but just recently started bugging out like this.

Yordan

Hey all,

Just wanted to hop in with a workaround while this is being investigated: you can try manually adding some episodes to the queue (Right click > Add to queue). That way, the episodes will play in the exact order you added them.

We will of course update you here when we have new info to share.

Cheers!

JThePerson

Spotify Version: Spotify for Windows 1.1.78.765.g5ea20b00

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

1. Did a Clean Reinstall
  2. Restarted the notebook

Changed sort order to shuffle, then longest to shortest, and vice versa. It worked. But when I play from oldest to newest, it plays alphabetically instead.

night_cheese

I have also been experiencing this issue for the past week or two.

• the version of your operating system: MacOS Monterey version 12.1
  • the version of your Spotify app: Spotify for macOS (Intel)
    1.1.78.765.g5ea20b00
  • the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far:
    • rebooted machine;
    • clean reinstall;
    • changed sort order to other settings

No troubleshooting had any effect.

johnesmoke

Spotify for Windows
1.1.78.765.g5ea20b00

Troubleshooting:

Clean reinstall

Reboot

Oldest to newest makes it use alphabetical order. Seems to be working correctly on the web app so I have been using that but the web app does not have the option to sort by unplayed like the desktop app has. 

I also noticed that when I opened the windows app to look for version history the queue matched the web player. But when I closed the web player and played the app again it resorted the queue to alphabetical. The web player seems like a workaround for now but someone needs to add the option to sort by unplayed instead of all episodes like it is by default. This is especially problematic for podcasts that have hundreds of episodes and I switch to another and have to scroll way down the list to find the place I left off before.

Ricetantino

Hi there.  I listen on my Roku all the time. I'm at the point in my podcasts I'm 100+ episodes deep.  Is there a way to sort my lists from newest to oldest, instead of first to newest?  AND keep it that way?  

Or to pick up on the episode I left off on?