Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast episodes in Queue not playing automatically

Hey everyone,

We're receiving reports about podcast episodes not playing automatically one after the other in Your Episodes, playlists, Queue and the show itself. If there are 2 episodes queued one after the other, the second one gets skipped. If there are podcast episodes queued when playing songs, the podcast episodes are getting skipped. Some users report that when there's a podcast episode in the queue it will get skipped and will break the queue.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue!

We’re happy to confirm that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
TommytheGun

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

I like to listen to my podcasts from newest to oldest, from all of my followed channels, each day... once all recent ones are completed, I'm happy for it to drop into the back catalogue and continue working it's way backwards indefinitely...

However, if I use the "Episodes" playlist in my podcast library to do this (as i have in the past), I select the most recent episode (at the top)... when it finishes, that's it... i have to take my phone out, then manually select the next episode to play...

I can't find any options anywhere to change "play order" or "toggle autoplay", which was my first assumption...

I know that the spotify app is particularly not user friendly for a variety of reasons, but this is lunacy... surely there must be something i can do?

seanxxxvii

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

OnePlus 6T

Operating System

Android Snapdragon

My Question or Issue

When working I try to listen to a mix of podcasts and music to break things up, so I set my queue up in advanced that way I wont need to mess with it and can do my job.

However any time I try to add something to the queue it deletes the entire queue except the most recent item added, and sometimes it wont even play that but skips to 6 episodes ahead of what I was trying to listen to or something I never selected to begin with.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled on all devices, and the problem hasn't ended but has been progressively getting worse.

The terribly designed queue has been one of the most common complaints about Spotify across the board for years without any solution given besides uninstall/ reinstall. You guys have to at least start doing something about issues like these besides blaming the user like you have been.

Hopefully you'll have a solution for me, but if you respond with, "Have you tried uninstalling/ reinstalling?" I'm not going to bother talking to someone who cant pay attention or just doesn't care, and end the service for my whole family immediately.

TLDR: The queue isn't functional and has been ignored by staff for years. Uninstall/ Reinstall on all devices rarely helps with these issues according to your forums. Will anything be done at all?

Ivan

Hey @seanxxxvii

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!        

In case reinstalling the app didn't do the trick for you you might need to check if this issue might be related to your Spotify account or the device you're using. 

To do this, log in to your Spotify account on a different device just to check if you observe the same. If the queue works okay on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

It's also a good idea to try logging in with a different Spotify account on your device to check if it's an account-related issue. If it works with another account, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer next. 

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help.  

jonathanherdt
Same here, but it seems to only affect the podcast queue, not the queue in general. In the mornings, I like to queue up two podcast episodes in my normal listening playlist. The first episode works without a problem, the second one almost never gets played. I can verify that they both end up in the queue. When the first episode, the second episode is still in the queue but when it should play, it just gets skipped.
Mihail

Hey @jonathanherdt,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

Could you please share if you tried logging in on another device or with a different account to see if the issue comes up there as well, as @Ivan suggested? Also does this happen on our web player?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply! Let us know if you have any questions.

RissaLynne85

I am having the same exact issue and can not figure it either. Following for help

Novy

Hey there @RissaLynne85

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂

Would you mind sending over your device's make, model, OS version and the Spotify version you're currently running?

Also, let us know if you've already tried performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it’s more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Ljvickers

I’m having the same problem (only since I last updated the app after years without issue) and a clean uninstall hasn’t fixed it. It’s incredibly annoying! Please help me fix it?

Ljvickers

Did you find a fix in the end?

Ljvickers

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

(iPhone XR

Operating System

(iOS latest

My Question or Issue

Ever since I updated the Spotify app last week, now when listening to Podcasts the next episode doesn’t play automatically. At the end of the selected episode, it just stops play entirely. I’ve tried switching autoplay off/on and did a clean uninstall but it hasn’t worked. Incredibly frustrated by this and need a fix urgently or I’ll be unsubscribing after many years to find a Podcast app that can work properly.