Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Pressing Volume Down button sets volume to Max on Alexa speaker

We've received multiple reports that when playing Spotify on Alexa powered Smart Speakers via Spotify Connect the volume gets set to maximum when pressing the Volume Down button on the connected mobile phone. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
When playing in my Alexa group of speaks I can usually use my phone to turn the volume of all devices playing up or down. When I click down to turn volume down it maxes up the volume blasting on all speakers. Works fine if I adjust the volume in the devices menu with slider at the bottom but their is a serious bug with volume using the phone toggle buttons and very annoying being it worked fine not long ago.
Prague

Hiya, so it sounds like you're experiencing a bug with the Alexa group volume controls when using your phone to adjust the volume. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Restart your phone and the Alexa devices. This can often help clear up any temporary glitches.

2. Try adjusting the volume using the Alexa app on your phone instead of the phone's volume toggle buttons. This may be more reliable.

3. Check for any updates to the Alexa app or your Alexa devices, and install them if available. This could fix any known issues.

4. Reset the Alexa devices and set them up again. This should be a last resort, but it can sometimes help if there's a persistent issue with the devices.

If none of these steps solve the issue, you may need to contact Amazon support for further assistance.

I'm all ears, and my tail's a-waggin' for PUPdates on your situation,

-Prague the Dog

relaxedcalender

Had the same issue on multiple echo and echo dot speakers. While in the Spotify app and playing to an echo via Spotify connect, volume up button would set echo volume to zero and vol down key would set it to max.

Correct behaviour of the phones volume keys was recovered by opening the Alexa app, opening the device and making a few volume adjustments (while Spotify was playing to the echo). After that, phone volume buttons worked normally in the Spotify app.

Still think there's a bug, but so far unable to reproduce the behaviour.

glitchbunny

I've had this exact thing happen to me three or four times over the last few months (Samsung Galaxy S9 and Amazon Echo Dot). Closing the Spotify app all the way and reopening fixes it - but I don't love the fact that my poor neighbors (and I) have been subjected to extremely loud music in the middle of the night because of it.

ConGill

Having exact same issue with all my echo devices and Spotify on my wife's Samsung A53 and my Oppo Find X5. Used to work fine. 

relaxedcalender

UPDATE: The above fix is not permanent and the issue will recur. Will update again if I work out what steps trigger the bug.

MihailY

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you please let us know if you've tried any of the following troubleshooting steps?

• Re-linking your Spotify account in the Alexa app
  • Resetting the speaker groups
  • Resetting the speakers

Keep us posted.

Shinedown78

Just to add to this list, GS22 Ultra having the exact same problem. Volume controls work correctly everywhere except spotify app whereas pressing the volume up button sets volume to zero, and volume down button sets volume to max. There are no other increments of volume. Alexa and Spotify apps both on latest versions with no available updates as of 23.4.23

*EDIT* See below, issue re-appeared a couple of days later.

rumyo103

I have tried all of these steps. Issue persists. 

MihailY

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies.

Can you please check if this happens when you have Spotify open on a different device where its volume is set to maximum?

Cheers,