Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Pressing Volume Down button sets volume to Max on Alexa speaker

We've received multiple reports that when playing Spotify on Alexa powered Smart Speakers via Spotify Connect the volume gets set to maximum when pressing the Volume Down button on the connected mobile phone. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
MH1974

I have the same issue- here are my details:

• device model + OS version on your mobile device-  CAT 52- Android 10

• exact Spotify version- 8.8.36.522

• device model and firmware version for your speaker- I am have 2 echo dots (5th gen)  paired with a sub, plus another echo dot 5th gen.
  • are you playing music on a single speaker or a speaker group- I can play the music on a single speaker or a group and the effect is the same.
  • does the volume go to maximum if you try changing the volume from another device, like a PC?- yes volume goes to max even when controlling via spotify web or spotify desktop.
  • when did you first notice this behavior?- started about a month ago. (The only work around at the moment is to go into the Alexa App and control the volume from there OR to verbally tell the Alexa speakers which volume to set themselves at. Any attempt to control the volume via the spotify app on my phone or via the spotify web or via spotify desktop sends the volume shotting to max. Any attempt to turn the volume down by the app, web or desktop makes no difference- is shoots back up again.
Shinedown78

My issue is identical to @MH1974's with the below device/software variations:

• device model + OS version on your mobile device-  Galaxy S22 Ultra (model SM-S908B/DS) Android 13

• exact Spotify version- 8.8.36.522

• device model and firmware version for your speaker- I have a number of Echo Dots 3rd Gen - behaviour exhibits on all devices alone or in groups.
Robino3000

Same exact problem for me.

Device: Galaxy Z-Fold 4 - OS Version: 5.1

Speakers (Group): 2 x Echo w/1 x Echo Dot in Group - Don't know how to find "Firmware"

Did not try changing volume from other device

Noticed about two? months ago

To add to the problem: When I close the app and reopen, it fixes the volume reverse issue, but I have to re-balance each speaker's volume manually on the speakers themselves.

Since this issue began I've also experienced difficulty connecting to my speaker group. I have to press the button several times before it accepts the group.

MH1974

Currently this appears to have been resolved for me. Anyone else?

Shinedown78

I'm cautiously optimistic as it hasn't happened to me for a little while. However, this also happened before when I un-linked and re-linked my account but then it reappeared, so I'm reserving judgement for now...

Dorz

This started happening to me two days ago, just a few days after I got two echos. Important to note that it didn't happen until I added the echo gen 4 to the gen 3 I have here. I've experienced three things:

1. I press the volume down and it goes up, significantly
  2. I adjust the volume and it does it accordingly to the button I press, but it spikes to max volume for a second and then adjust it
  3. When I change the volume for one speaker, it changes the volume for both echos

It seems that the action that triggers it is specifically changing the volume with the phone's buttons, because it works fine when I change the volume on the Alexa app, or through my mac.

• Pixel 7 + Android 13 (up to date)

• Spotify version - 8.8.44.527

• Echo Dot (4th Gen), Echo Dot (3th Gen)
  • I play on a single speakers as well as speaker group
  • It works fine when I change the volume from my mac
  • I noticed it from a few days ago when I got my echo dot gen 4, and after I created a speaker group.
MH1974
This was exactly the behaviour I was experiencing also.
Alex

Hi folks,

Thank you for the info you've submitted and the feedback on this issue. 

Can you please let us know if you're still experiencing this issue, as of today?

Looking forward to your replies.

MH1974
As of today the issue is resolved for me.
Shinedown78
Hi, tested today and seems to be working on my GS22 Ultra, Android 13,
Spotify version: 8.8.44.527 on an Echo Dot Gen 3.