Quality settings reverts automatically when launching Equalizer from Spotify settings page

Plan

Premium

Device

Xperia XZ2 Compact

Operating System

Android Pie 9

My Question or Issue

When the system equalizer is launched from within Spotify settings page, the download/streaming quality settings revert back to their defaults. 

Clean reinstall does not help. Issue has existed since beginning of 2018 at least, also on Android 8.

I have even reset the phone to factory sw and reinstalled everything during this time. 100 percent reproducible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey @johnka.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this, and sorry for the delayed response!

Have you already checked this support article out, specifically under the heading Android > Equalizer? Make sure to check it out if you haven't.

In any case, could you send us a screenshot of the download/equalizer settings before and after they are reset, so that we can get a better idea of how things look on your end? Once we have that, we'll be able to look into this further.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing back from you :)

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this to us. We have passed this on to our tech team, who are currently looking into it.

Could we ask you to leave the following information in the comments section below for us:

• Device and OS version
  • Spotify version?

Also don't forget to click +VOTE if you are experiencing this issue.

Thanks! We'll let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

Related Issues

Comments
johnka
Gig Goer

None of the below information i

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Xperia XZ2 Compact

Operating System

Android Pie 9

My Question or Issue

When the system equalizer is launched from within Spotify settings page, the download/streaming quality settings revert back to their defaults. 

Clean reinstall does not help. Issue has existed since beginning of 2018 at least, also on Android 8.

I have even reset the phone to factory sw and reinstalled everything during this time. 100 percent reproducible.

johnka
Gig Goer

@Peter wrote:

Hey @johnka.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this, and sorry for the delayed response!

Have you already checked this support article out, specifically under the heading Android > Equalizer? Make sure to check it out if you haven't.

In any case, could you send us a screenshot of the download/equalizer settings before and after they are reset, so that we can get a better idea of how things look on your end? Once we have that, we'll be able to look into this further.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing back from you :)

@Peter

Thanks for getting back to me.

While grabbing screenshots I was able to gather some more information that I think will be helpful in solving the bug.

1) It also reproduces on my Android 7.1.1 Xperia Z4 Tablet.

2) Visiting the Equalizer page is not what triggers the bug (see screen recording), it is actually leaving the Settings activity (by other means than returning to "Library" using the Android back button). Switching to another app also triggers it (although not as reliably).

So probably the states of the settings are not properly saved (needs to be done in the Paused activity state in this case I think). Either that, or the settings are not properly populated on returning to the Settings page (when not arriving there by tapping the cogwheel in "Library").

Maybe the latter is more likely since (90% of the time,) Audio Quality reverts to Automatic/Normal no matter their previous values (see screenshots), which I am guessing are the default values... (but I have only coded one Android app for fun so that is just a qualified guess).

3) Reproducibility is not 100%, but tapping Equalizer -> Back button (repeat if needed) are pretty solid repro steps.

Screen recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3mf0g99euc59h3/ScreenRecord_20181220_220523.mp4?dl=0

Screenshots: (embedded), and here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/innchz1er1o2z5t/AADYrlXmSSNf1dVfu9_aBhxma?dl=0

BR

John

EDIT: Fixed non-working @mention (I hope).

sidepart

I was also having this bug as well and noticed that it seemed related to enabling or disabling the equalizer but not clear if that's the actual cause.  Also seems to occur when using a new audio output (plugging in/unplugging headphones, connecting/disconnecting from Android auto head unit, BT speaker, etc.)

As was suggested, it's not clear if the app isn't saving the settings properly or if the app isn't loading the stored settings into the UI correctly (i.e. the app says Automatic/Normal but the settings in memory are Very High/Very High).  I suspect the latter because when I reset to Very High/Very High, the app doesn't start re-downloading my saved songs again.

I've been able to replicate the described issue on a Pixel XL and Pixel 3 running the latest updates for Android 9.

Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this to us. We have passed this on to our tech team, who are currently looking into it.

Could we ask you to leave the following information in the comments section below for us:

• Device and OS version
  • Spotify version?

Also don't forget to click +VOTE if you are experiencing this issue.

Thanks! We'll let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

jonnybrady-tw
Regular

I have the same issue. The quality and download settings keep reverting.

johnka
Gig Goer

@Peter

Device: Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (attaching a screenshot of the most descriptive SW version info I can find the UI).

Spotify version: As of now 8.4.84.874 (just verified bug exist there) but any version last year will work I think.

xperiaXZ2CompactVersion.png

Hey there @johnka,

There's a newer version of the app available. Just to confirm, could you try updating the app to see if this persists in this latest version? If it does, let us know the version of the app you end up with so we can pass this on to the right teams.

Thanks!

johnka
Gig Goer

Hi @Katerina

The issue still persists in the latest version - 8.4.88.150. Please let me know when there is reason to believe that a fix has been included in release and I will re-test. All my apps auto-update daily.

Thanks,

John