Queue changes after switching device with Spotify Connect

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Across devices

My Question or Issue

If I'm listening to a playlist on one device, then switch to another device using connect, the queue on the new device is the entire shuffled playlist. Expected is it would carry the queue over to the new device so songs I already listened to on the first device aren't being repeated. Seems to be happening across all 3 of my devices, regardless of which device it's switching from/to.

Hey there,

Thanks for the help and the info.

Our tech team has confirmed this issue has been fixed. Could you make sure you're using the latest version of the app and if the issue is not fixed yet on your end start a new discussion in the relevant Help Board?

Thanks!

Comments
SVADHI

They are not going to fix it because they have no incentive to. Who's the alternative?  our options are shitify's broken ass features or to have them missing altogether.

lachlan_hunt_

How is this still an issue? I've had to deal with this for as long as I've been using Spotify, well over five years at this point. This issue has been raised time and time again and I'm still yet to see any effort on Spotify's end to provide a fix, that isn't "Try logging out and logging back in again". 

And to add to @Lihvar's mention of stripping features, the removal of the ability to route the audio to a specific output device on Mac is infuriating. If I was on Windows it wouldn't be a problem as Windows can do it for all apps, but MacOS can't, and the fact that Spotify had this feature and now doesn't just pisses me off even more.

Ranakkl

So... As this issue is not addressed by spotify itself, I've come up with a solution myself... I'm dividing my 3000+ "liked songs" library into playlists... I was not expecting it to work but it does. I still can't listen to the songs in the "liked songs" section without it being shuffled up everytime, but at least, when divided into playlists it works just fine, at least for now. I have only been able to divide around 1000 of it so I have a long way down but yeah, anyone willing to try this, it works for me and it is worth wasting your time on. But spotify, FIX THIS ISSUE ALREADY... 

Peter

Hey folks,

Still having the issue as described by the OP. It works as expected when Shuffle is off, but when Shuffle is on the queue isn't carried over.

• Spotify version 8.6.70.1102
  • Motorola Moto G7 Power, Android 10
  • See screenshots below:

Screenshot_20211021-140555.png

Screenshot_20211021-140542.png

Cheers!

deadorb

My issue is basically what this is except the shuffling and skipping of music only happens on this "new" Chromebook I have and yes ion mobile it freezes sometimes saying "Spotify has stopped working" but on here it won't even play the music because it skips and when it lands on one it doesn't even show the music bar time playing.I hope that there is a resolution to this issue for me because I really like Spotify and used to be able to listen on a Chromebook previous to the one I have now so I thought I'd let Spotify know. 

billsy

Spotify shirk their responsibilities!

incugirl42

When I play one of my playlists on shuffle and then turn off my device, or switch to a different device, it doesn't seem to remember which songs it's already played. This means that every session I have of a playlist is completely new, so I hear the same songs over and over. I want to hear the entire playlist on shuffle over multiple sessions without a song repeating. It should function as if I paused and resumed a CD.

mmd2500

Upvoted issue.

Current shuffled queue annoyingly reshuffled every time connected device is changed.  Shown below on latest Windows client switching between local PC and Sonos speaker several times, but also happens on my Android (phone and tablet) devices.

Can we just have the current queue left unchanged when the connected device changes?

Alex

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your feedback and reports.

We know that a lot of users are still being affected by this and that it is disrupting your music listening.

@mmd2500, Thanks for the video recording, it's a very good illustration of the issue.

We know that this is taking a long time, but the right teams at Spotify are working on this, and the information you share in this thread is very helpful in narrowing down what is causing the issue. 

We'll update you here as soon as we have more information 🙂 

mtlons

I'm not a developer, so maybe I'm missing something, but I struggle to understand how this is such a difficult thing to fix!

I can be listening on shuffle on one device, and the shuffled queue is shown accurately on other devices, so clearly, that shuffled playlist data is accurately being sent between devices. And if a playlist isn't on shuffle, you can seamlessly switch devices and the playlist picks up where it should.

How is this taking years?!?