Queue changes after switching device with Spotify Connect

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Across devices

My Question or Issue

If I'm listening to a playlist on one device, then switch to another device using connect, the queue on the new device is the entire shuffled playlist. Expected is it would carry the queue over to the new device so songs I already listened to on the first device aren't being repeated. Seems to be happening across all 3 of my devices, regardless of which device it's switching from/to.

Hey there,

Thanks for the help and the info.

Our tech team has confirmed this issue has been fixed. Could you make sure you're using the latest version of the app and if the issue is not fixed yet on your end start a new discussion in the relevant Help Board?

Thanks!

Comments

I have a video showing this, let me know how I can share it with you. @Alex 

mtlons

Galaxy S10e, on Android 11, with Spotify 8.6.8.1094

Windows 10 laptop with Spotify 1.1.54.592.gc0b20638

Issue occurs with other devices as well, have tested it with my old Win 7 PC, Google Home minis, the new Chromecast 4K, TCL TV with built-in Roku. I'm way too lazy to gather all of the specific firmwares and Spotify versions for those - just pointing out that this isn't some one off issue with my S10e and Win 10 laptop.

Screenshots of my phone and photos of the desktop app are below. Both devices are connected on the same wifi, including having double checked both on the 5ghz option.

I posted a video clip here as well: https://streamable.com/zqjisx

This problem has been open since 8/2019 per this other support page - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Stop-shuffling-the-playlist-when-chan...

It's getting ridiculous. As people get more and more devices, this functionality becomes more and more critical. What is the hold up here? Are the developers not able to recreate the issue? Seems like people with a variety of devices and operating systems are having this issue, so it should be easy to recreate.

20210316_144707.jpg20210316_144732.jpgScreenshot_20210316-144634_Spotify.jpgScreenshot_20210316-144725_Spotify.jpg

mtlons

Also, to add to my previous post describing and documenting the issue, this only occurs when the playlist is playing on shuffle. If shuffle is off, and the playlist is just running through from start to finish, the queue maintains proper position when changing from one playback device to another.

Unfortunately, I always use shuffle when listening to a playlist I've made.

SVADHI

oh make no mistake, they can absolutely reproduce and fix this issue easily, it's not a complex problem but they know that most people aren't going to switch their entire music library to a new service so it's **bleep** us and the BASIC FUNCTIONS that we ask for.

Reverate

To be honest I've used Spotify for years now and even made a companion app for it, but this issue has got me really tempted to switch to a different service. Being able to switch to a different playback device without losing the queue history is so fundamental to multi-device playback it's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

I suspect the information about the queue is only stored locally on the device, so when you transition to playback on a different device it has to re-make the queue. Therefore the fix for this problem would need a whole host of backend changes to support storing or sharing this information between devices. That's something I don't see happening any time soon, so probably very soon I'll switch to Youtube Music or Apple Music, or maybe even Tidal I don't know or care at this point.

Philipp_Escher

A locally stored queue would also explain, why you can't access it via the Web API. They should really have a client-side and a server-side copy of the queue (I hope they have already).

Reverate

Turns out Tidal and Apple Music are both missing device connectivity & sync as a feature so despite signing up for the free trial of both services, I guess I'm stuck with the semi-broken version that exists on Spotify... guess they have very little motivation to fix it when even broken it's better than the non-existent alternatives.

nicolasbella

When playing a playlist in shuffle mode, if ou switch to another device (from phone to PC for example), the history of that shuffle session is lost, so it starts playing songs that had already been played.

Keeping that "history" of the shuffle session would be a great addition, so you can switch from one device to another and keep your playlists playing in shuffle mode without hearing the same songs again.

clarkey112

Hi.

I'm on android version 8.6.24.918. The problem I'm having is I sort my playlist from newest songs put in first then it slowly goes from new to old songs but Spotify doesn't follow this order anymore if I listen to my newest song it won't go to the next one it'll just restart my playlist to play the very oldest song. this started a few days ago I've tried usual troubleshooting but nothings working (tried desktop app too) 

Atrus

Same issue with Windows/Android, either when switching devices or using Spotify Connect: every time you transfer to a different device or speaker the whole queue resets or reshuffles. In addition to that, it also loses any song you have manually added to the queue after pressing "play".