Queue changes after switching device with Spotify Connect

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Across devices

My Question or Issue

If I'm listening to a playlist on one device, then switch to another device using connect, the queue on the new device is the entire shuffled playlist. Expected is it would carry the queue over to the new device so songs I already listened to on the first device aren't being repeated. Seems to be happening across all 3 of my devices, regardless of which device it's switching from/to.

Hey there,

Thanks for the help and the info.

Our tech team has confirmed this issue has been fixed. Could you make sure you're using the latest version of the app and if the issue is not fixed yet on your end start a new discussion in the relevant Help Board?

Thanks!

Comments
appledude9

This is the single most annoying issue I have with Spotify. Hope they fix it. I switch devices often and this drives me nuts

@Spotify folks: I use primarily the Mac client version (always updated to most recent) and the Spotify UI in Tesla vehicles. Can provide screenshots if desired. But it's quite simple, every time I switch devices, the shuffle order is re-done causing tracks to repeat. Let's say when listening on my Mac I have songs in order 1, 4, 6, 2, 7, 3, 5. I listen to the first 4 (1, 4, 6, 2), and switch devices during track 2. When I resume playing, it picks up where I left off in the song perfectly! But when it goes to the next track, it can be any track (besides 'track 2'), and thus it can be track 1, 4, or 6 again (instead of track 7 being next as per the initial shuffle order). This leads to songs repeating when changing devices via Spotify connect

sdormon

I believe that I am experiencing this or a related issue which is extremely frustrating. My scenario is as follows:

1. Pick a podcast episode for my drive to work, press play

2. Enjoy podcast for duration of commute

3. Arrive at work, pause podcast

4. Place phone on airplane mode & store in locker (workplace regulation)

5. Arrive at desk, open Spotify in browser (Chrome) (again, workplace regulation - no app installation)

6. Play music for duration of work day - always music, never the podcast I drive to

7. Leave desk, PC may be on with Spotify tab open or PC may be shut down - does not change this behaviour

8. Pick up phone, turn off airplane mode, open Spotify app - Podcast is still the current media, exactly where I left off in the morning

9. Play podcast episode (let's say its #10) until it ends - or - swipe to skip to the next episode

10. Seemingly random episode plays (perhaps #47), always seems to be a future unplayed episode at least

Now, if I check the queue at the following stages I see:

- After Step 1: A full queue of all unplayed sequential episodes

- After Step 8 or 9: An empty queue, devoid of anything

- After Step 10: A random selection of episodes from the currently playing podcast

Note: I always listen to podcast episodes sequentially, not jumping between shows, so the queue is simple - just the next newest episodes, however many there happen to be. This issue is not dependent on the particular podcast or the number of episodes available.

Essentially, I have to manually reset the queue before driving off or Spotify treats me to spoilers in episodes I'm not ready to listen to yet!

appledude9

How many more months is this going to be 'under investigation'? If Tesla integrates another music player I'm going to ditch Spotify because this is so annoying to have songs repeat when I switch devices. It's 2021 and they can't seem to work it out so that a playlist queue is maintained across devices? I'm not a software engineer by any means but I can't see how a cloud-based streaming service is unable to do this. Please provide an update Spotify. Thanks

silvialuciarios

Something that happened to me is since I switched from the computer app to my phone, every time I delete a song from the queue it appears again. I shuffle my list then delete from the queue some songs I don’t want to listen and minutes later they all appear again. Any workaround? 😞

Lihvar

Spotify has by far the worst support I've ever seen, constantly strips the app of good features, terrible design choices and bug fixes always come last. This is one of the most frustrating bugs and they don't even bother with it...

cooknt90

Is there any update on this? This issue was submitted over a year ago. This “glitch” is super annoying, wondering if Apple Music does the same thing.

Piebypieuser

I am still having this problem and it's driving me crazy. The queues show before and after switching between windows 10 pc and Android Samsung s10e. 

Screenshot_20210801-161530_Spotify.jpg

Screenshot_20210801-161520_Spotify.jpg

qt48vjx-l_p6r

This has been an infuriating detail for me for years. Please please please please please fix.

foxmidnight3

This has always been an issue and I hope it is one day fixed.

Artrucho

C'mon guys, is this still under investigation? It happens without fail when I switch from the desktop app to the phone, or from the phone to the TV. Please fix it!