Premium

Country

United States

Device

Windows PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

As a lot of other users have posted, my spotify will not play most songs that I don't have in a playlist already. It just shows the black disc icon for the album art and won't play. Additionally, a lot of playlists that I haven't downloaded, will show little to none of the songs actually in them. I have tried the host file fix that seems to help most people but it did nothing for me.

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your patience so far.

Keep in mind that if you're seeing empty playlists, we'd recommend heading here instead and adding your +VOTE and info to that Ongoing Issue instead.

If this issue occurs for you on a Windows device, we'd recommend trying the steps to check your Hosts file provided in this Spotify Answer and let us know how that goes. 

If you're on a Mac device, make sure to follow these steps instead:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit.
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

However, if those steps don't do the trick, make sure to add your +VOTE and let us know in a comment.

Please make sure to include a timestamp on when this happens for you. 

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

Related Issues

Comments
sirarchimedes
Casual Listener

@jor3ka Thank you! This is the only thing that has seemed to actually fix it. Do I have to block spotify from auto updating or something?

jor3ka
Regular

To the spotify creators:

In your february+march update, you need to take into acount that premium acounts may have adblockers aswell - you can not suspend these accounts, neither can you block them from playing their music like you're doing in the february update. This should only apply for the free service accounts.

jor3ka
Regular

If you're a windows user, you can block spotify updating in the host file. Edit it with admin rights. I would only do this temporary until bugs are fixed in any later versions.

FarboSicil

Plan

Free

Country

Germany

Device

MacBook Pro Mid 2015

Operating System

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2

My Question or Issue

Within the last week this has happened to me almost daily:
I try to play a new song and it just won't play, there won't be any information about the duration of the song on the bottom and the cover will just not load, nor will spotify show the title of the song below the cover.

This seems to happen to random songs and I have tried a clean reinstallation of Spotify which I thought solved the problem but now I'm back with the problem...

Rock Star 14
Rock Star 14

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? Sorry if this may sound a bit reptitive but if that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app by following these steps.

Could you try it with another network connection? If possible try updating to macOS Mojave 10.14.3 to see if that helps :)

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

leffe69

I have the same problem on my macbook air 2013. Runs macOS Mojave 10.14.3.

Tried all the steps that you are suggesting but nothing helps

FarboSicil

I tried the clean reinstall once more, which made it work for two days, now the problem is there again...

I'm on Mojave 10.14.3 now, my Spotify version is 1.0.99.250.g936eab8d

Jeremy1Brusa
Regular

I fixed it! Thank you so much!

Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey there,

Thanks for reporting this to us! We have the right teams looking into this.

If you're experiencing this, please try the following first:

• Log out/in
  • Reinstall
  • Restart your device
  • Clear cache
  • Try a different internet connection

If that doesn't do the trick, please add your vote (+VOTE) here.

Thanks in advance! We will keep you all updated here :)

Have a great day.

FarboSicil

I also tried it when being on a different wifi network, still no change...