Recently played artist not updating

My Question or Issue

Since five days back, my recently played artists as seen on my profile are not updating properly. Before, it was instantaneous, now maybe 7-8 hours delay. Sometimes my library updates, but not the artists shown in my profile. Same with friends profile, very annoying. I see some old topics with this and that is has been "fixed" - any solution anyone? I have tried deactivating in settings and activating, restarting, reinstalling, nothing works.

Plan

Premium

Device

iPhone 7

Operating System

iOS and Windows 10

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

If you’re still experiencing this issue, can you make a new thread in the relevant board? We'll get back to you there.

Thanks!

Comments
Gina52561
Casual Listener

Hello Petya,

It still isn’t working and it isn’t my device because I found the new account I added was updating after all—after I started a new session.  And same with a third account I tried. Both are in my kids names so I want my own to work!! But it doesn’t— “Recently played artists” hasn’t updated at all in weeks. Not at all. Not lagging—just never changing at all. 

I’ve tried everything listed in this thread, above, plus everything else I could invent, including:

1. fiddling with settings in every combination possible  (all settings were on sharing status but I turned them all off then on again in different combinations multiple times both before and after deleting the app)

2. Deleting and reloading the app multiple times on all devices between rebooting my devices 

3. deleting cookies and clearing caches

4. going premium then canceling premium 

Nothing works. 

Gina52561
Casual Listener

My devices are MacBook Pro and iPhone. But again, other Spotify accounts in my kids’ names are updating on these same devices. My phone is software version 13.1.3 and my Mac is 10.15.1

Gina52561
Casual Listener

Oh, and my Spotify version is: 1.1.20.510.g7d28aaaa, 2019.

Hey @user-removed and @Gina52561,

Thanks for replying so quickly!

@user-removed, could you create a new account and tell us how things are looking there with Recently Played? 

@Gina52561, can you tell us what do you mean by starting and ending a session? Is that when you close and reopen the app? Or is it when you stop listening to an artist and start listening to another one? 

Thanks for the info so far!

user-removed
Not applicable

I refuse to create a new account. I’m paying for premium and already have followers etc. It’s absurd that you expect us to create new accounts to fix this problem. And everyone else has already said 10x over that NOTHING is changing on the Recently Played Artists page no matter what they do. That includes playing a bunch of artists one after the other. That’s how we noticed the problem in the first place.

Gina52561
Casual Listener

Petya, a session is not a song, a session is having the app open for a period of listening, then closing the app and going away to do something else. With my kids' two accounts, for the test purpose, I didn’t want to spend hours listening (I do have a life) but I listened to two songs on each account. When I closed out they hadn’t updated yet, but when I came back later, it showed the first artist only in each account, perhaps because the second song hadn’t fully ended. That, however, is a moot point because on my own account I’ve been listening for weeks and it is not updating at all. 

Here's a screenshot of my "recently played" artists (which I last listened to weeks ago and have listened to many others since, which don't show on here).

Now, to be clear, I have had my Spotify account for YEARS, and I know how it’s “supposed” to update. It is not doing it now and hasn’t been doing it for at least two weeks if not longer. And I listen for hours at a time in the background while I’m working. I’m not a new subscriber in any way. Please give me credit for knowing how it used to work versus how it isn’t working now.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 11.54.35 AM.png
Gina52561
Casual Listener

Also, Petya, I do get why TonyPaul doesn’t want to create a new account. You have to use a different email for every account you create, and not everyone has gobs of email accounts to play with. And yes, I too was listening to dozens of artists—as TonyPaul pointed out, that’s how one realizes the recent artists aren’t updating. I feel like you think we’re idiots.

Gina52561
Casual Listener

One last point—I rarely just listen to one artist throughout a session. Most of my playlists are made up of songs from random artists, and no two songs are from the same artist. So yes, it should be updating constantly throughout a listening session.

In case it helps I'm attaching a screen shot of exactly the way my recently played artists have appeared for the last few weeks, unchanged. Although I'm playing different playlists every day and have purposefully avoided the artists showing here.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 11.54.35 AM.png
Gina52561
Casual Listener

A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. If you compare this screenshot to the ones I posted earlier, you'll see the exact same artists are still showing in the recently played, but I've played dozens of other artists . . . including Coldplay just prior to U2 (which you'll see in the now playing).  I'll post another screenshot showing the next song, to prove the artists aren't changing:

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.04.48 PM.png
Gina52561
Casual Listener

And now The Beatles. But U2 and Coldplay aren't showing in recently played. Still showing Stevie Nicks, as she looked when she became the last artist to be updated more than 2 weeks ago:

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.11.18 PM.png